The Official Tennis Thread (22 Viewers)

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
what are some players on? i remember agassi struggling to walk without cortisone before his retirement, and he was 36 back then. he literally looked like an old dude, just without the wrinkles. and we thought that he had a good longevity, because sampras at 36 was already retired for 5 years lol

djokovic is at the same age, running like a madman, playing and winning 5 setters if necessary, keeping up with the young guys. nadal won his 13th garros last year, right? he was also 36 then. federer at 36 (in 2017) won the aus.open and wimbledon, and defended his aus title the next year. insane, incredible longevity.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Ruud three grand slam finals, three runner-ups -- the atletico madrid of tennis. When'll he becomes Juventus of tennis
he faced two goat level players and by far the best young talent of the last decade. not winning as a complete underdog is all right

he'll get there eventually

lendl and Murray lost their first 4 finals

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
what are some players on? i remember agassi struggling to walk without cortisone before his retirement, and he was 36 back then. he literally looked like an old dude, just without the wrinkles. and we thought that he had a good longevity, because sampras at 36 was already retired for 5 years lol

djokovic is at the same age, running like a madman, playing and winning 5 setters if necessary, keeping up with the young guys. nadal won his 13th garros last year, right? he was also 36 then. federer at 36 (in 2017) won the aus.open and wimbledon, and defended his aus title the next year. insane, incredible longevity.
Didn't Sampras retire early for health reasons? Agassi also did drugs.

I suppose nutrition and fitness are just so much better now than 20 years ago. And Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are three players who have always looked after themselves. Nadal struggled with injuries which would otherwise probably have seen him above 22. You could say the same for Federer who had some issues in the middle of his career, as well as at the end when he probably didn't know that age had caught him up.

Overall Nadal missed 14 grand slams and withdrew from I think 4 or 5? Federer missed 10 GS, even if those numebrs are boosted in recent years. Only 1 for Djokovic, so he's either managed himself well, genetically been lucky, or a bit of both.

I also think without his awful injuries Murray would have nicked a couple more here and there, probably at Wimbledon.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
would you bet on alcaraz against djokovic in the final? i watched the guy today, was brilliant for 2.5 sets against medvedev, shat his pants a bit before finishing it off eventually. he's very quick and powerful, i can see him causing an upset if he goes for the shots. mentality is a huge issue though, that's what decides most close matches and djokovic has been too strong for anyone lately.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
Move over Joker there's another sheriff in town.
It's insane how Djoko can keep this level at his age.
It seem that only alcaraz can beat him at this stage of his career.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
alcaraz's mental strength for his age is incredible. djokovic had a ball to go 2-0 up, had all the chances to turn it around, yet the dude won it. in his 1st wimbledon final, which was like his 4th grass court tournament too. chapeau

on a sidenote, one thing i don't like in this current tennis is that the courts are way too uniform and slow. 20 years ago it was borderline impossible to see the same two guys play a garros semi then a wimbledon final. clay and grass courts just behaved very differently. i bet atp's happy with this situation, and i get it, people want heroes. but it only paves the way for overly physical, frankly quite boring players. normally i was all over a wimbledon final, i wouldn't go out for a piss during that famous ivanisevic - rafter final, but this time i didn't watch the whole stuff, it's just too repetitive and only the color of the court tells us that it's grass

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I havent watched Tennis in years (used to watch regularly mainly with my father before he passed), knowing the goat level legends are near their end and not aware of the new generation they should be passing the torch to much.

But my sister who's really fanatic about the sport been spamming me with clips of this kid to peak or re ignite my interest all week.

Holy hell, and wtf. Nearly every footage is unreal (especially 06:20) , its like he is amalgamation of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic in various small ways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)