The near future (1 Viewer)

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

She sure likes her "etc.".

It's very neat and all but I don't like technology that alienates people from each other more and more. Mimicking a watch on your wrist, instead of walking up to someone and asking for the time, is a little over the top.

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #6
    She sure likes her "etc.".

It's very neat and all but I don't like technology that alienates people from each other more and more. Mimicking a watch on your wrist, instead of walking up to someone and asking for the time, is a little over the top.
    Who does that nowadays anyway? Everyone has a mobile phone that tells the time.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #9
    I do it not so rarely, when I can't bother to take out the cell out of my pocket.
    This means that even if you have this wearable device you would still do it.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

This means that even if you have this wearable device you would still do it.
    I was talking about people in general and how these devices can effect our society. Less and less interaction, not a good thing in my honest opinion.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #11
    I was talking about people in general and how these devices can effect our society. Less and less interaction, not a good thing in my honest opinion.
    But it's not only these devices. The mobile phone for example is more to blame if you ask me, the internet and all it's current social services.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

But it's not only these devices. The mobile phone for example is more to blame if you ask me, the internet and all it's current social services.
    Absolutely. Technology in general though it makes life easier, it also has its side effects.

Geof

May 14, 2004
    I don't really get it. I can't see myself scanning toilet paper in the supermarket to see on which one I get the green light; also why would I dial a telephone number on my hand/wall or project the time on my wrist if I already have a mobile phone?

Maybe I missed something but I don't see myself doing any of the stuff that was presented. My best guess is that this is technically great, but they still have to find the right applications for it.

Taking a picture with your fingers as a frame is cool, but I don't see myself walking around with a webcam around my neck or on a cap...

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #14
    I don't really get it. I can't see myself scanning toilet paper in the supermarket to see on which one I get the green light; also why would I dial a telephone number on my hand/wall or project the time on my wrist if I already have a mobile phone?

Maybe I missed something but I don't see myself doing any of the stuff that was presented. My best guess is that this is technically great, but they still have to find the right applications for it.

Taking a picture with your fingers as a frame is cool, but I don't see myself walking around with a webcam around my neck or on a cap...
    The point behind it is to replace your mobile phone.

Geof

May 14, 2004
    The point behind it is to replace your mobile phone.
    Ah. If so then I indeed missed an important part :D

But at the beginning she says something about the whole device 'interacting' with the mobile phone in her pocket? Also, you would still have to wear something to project all these stuff; I guess nanotechnology will make that an extra button on your shirt, or even integrate in a tie?

Anyway, I hope pants will not look like hers in the near future!

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    If this device wants to make choices for us, it will fail !!
    But it can work for the geeks who cant leave without a ridiculous amount of added/useless info...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)