The national football team of the United Kingdom of Great Britain (2 Viewers)

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #24
    It's back:

BRITAIN TO PLAY AS ONE ON 2012 OLYMPICS

The British Olympic Association plans to enter a Great Britain football team at the 2012 London Games, it has been announced. However, the Welsh and Scottish Football Associations have expressed reservations over a combined team.

The FAs are concerned that involvement with a British Olympic team could threaten their separate status with the European and world football governing bodies.

However, Fifa president Sepp Blatter has assured them this would not be the case.

"We have confirmed that the four British associations will not lose their rights and privileges acquired back in 1947," he said.

"Great Britain will play with one team but it is up to them how they do it. It can be a mixed team, it can be from just one of the home nations, whatever they want to do."

Simon Clegg, chief executive of the BOA, said that the BOA had the option of selecting players even if the two FAs fail to agree to the concept of a combined team.

"We will be going ahead anyway and my aspiration is to field the strongest possible teams and I would hope that sports administrators would not hold back their finest footballers, men or women, from participating in this great event," he said.

"It is the BOA who selects the team to go to the games."

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    IMO, I can envision this being more disastrous than beneficial for the UK. Talk about confusing NT loyalties.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    ahmedz said:
    but the olympic teams can only have u-23 players

This is a good point...wasn't it the Scottish under 19's who got to the Euro final this year against Spain...England were nowhere...10 Scots and maybe one Welshman then...?:agree:

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Roverbhoy said:
    This is a good point...wasn't it the Scottish under 19's who got to the Euro final this year against Spain...England were nowhere...10 Scots and maybe one Welshman then...?:agree:
    You have to figure in politics as well as talent. I figure Wales, Scotland and NI will each get one or two players with the remainder being English.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    I'm just attempting to be sarcastic...but your right...in the end up it would be politically appropriate to have representatives from all of the home nations...as it should be

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    swag said:
    With one or two exceptions, I believe. (e.g., Ayala played for Argentina when they won in Athens.)
    If I am not mistaken Greg, each Olympic team has the right to have 3 players over 23....

Edit: The guys already noted that :oops:

Muha

The Head Physio
    Feb 25, 2004
    Respaul said:
    Absolutely pointless... A team of 10 englishmen, one welsh lad and no jocks or northern irish... Even the bench could only include maybe one extra welshie and at a real stretch one jock...

Start far more arguments than its worth

Theres enough bullshit surrounding the selection of the lions squad every time... no need to bring it into football as well
    :D

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    to be honest i think it gives the united kingdom more talents on the team, on the the other hand it wont be fair for scotland, n.ireland, and wales when u each gets to have 2 players and the rest are english its just not fair for other countries in the isle's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)