The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (1 Viewer)

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Was giving this some thought, when I realised I had to float a thread about this. Two abysmal seasons with two clueless people running the show at this beleaguered club. Alessio Secco. Giuseppe Marrotta. While we now have pretty clear ideas about how both of them have worked (or not) at a club of this standing, I wanted to know from you who you think is more incompetent and has proven to be a bigger malaise of the two, now that we have the benefit of hindsight. We could opt for both since its so glaringly obvious that they don't know what it takes to be at Juventus, but if you had to pick one for messing us up assuming the last two seasons as comparison, who would it be?

Alessio Secco vs Giuseppe Marrotta.

I'm gonna start by sticking me neck out and saying I think Giuseppe Marrotta has proven to be the worse of the two. Not only for his lack of vision, but also his unwillingness to look beyond Italian talent. He defined half hearted seasonal objectives. Brought in fourteen new players, often contradicting his reasons for the same. Luca Toni came on board with a contract to die for. Letting go of Trezeguet, Diego, Giovinco among others - probably the reason why we've been so abysmal in attack, save Quag's contribution - who despite being a Marrotta pick wasn't even his first choice. And to top it he brought in Del Neri.

Secco on the other hand, didnt have half the experience Marrotta did, and wasted a lot of money but hired Ranieri who I think is better than Del Neri. Gave Ferrara a chance, and identified targets that were worthy of Moggi's Juve. It's another thing that for every Xabi Alonso we got a Poulsen and Tiago. Of course, we can't forgive him for getting us Amauri. And even though he spent as much if not more than Marrotta at least he did on players like Melo and Diego, who may not be worth 25m eventually. But when you compare that with how lavishly we've spent on this season, you'd think it couldnt get any worse.

While I wouldn't blame an individual alone, for where we are today, I would lay a large chunk of the blame on people filling the role once held by the legendary Luciano Moggi. So who would you pick between the devil and the deep blue sea?

Buy on AliExpress.com

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
Marotta. By all accounts he's been given nearly carte blanche to do what he wants and this is where he's brought us.

Secco, on the other hand, never had proper autonomy to act as he wished. He had higher-ups undermining his ideas and had to accommodate non-footballing personalities' (whatever "council" they had going on) opinions.

OP
baggio

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
  • Thread Starter #3
    True. He's had nothing short of a free reign at his first attempt at being at a big club, something that even Moggi didn't perhaps have in the initial years. And very clearly, he's not made that leap in quality that comes with moving from Sampdoria to Juventus.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    I can't seem to compare them TBH. They're both baby sardines in Moggi's oceans.

But if I had to pick one of the two then I'd go with Secco. Who did impress me the season after Calciopoli finishing 2nd with a very limited budget.

OP
    baggio

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
  • Thread Starter #10
    I can't seem to compare them TBH. They're both baby sardines in Moggi's oceans.

But if I had to pick one of the two then I'd go with Secco. Who did impress me the season after Calciopoli finishing 2nd with a very limited budget.
    So you'd go with secco being better than marrota, rabbijaan?

OP
    baggio

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
  • Thread Starter #13
    Secco: May 2006 - May 2010 (worked for Juve since 1999)

Marotta: May 2010 - (10 months)
    Still warrants a comparison and shows just how much Marrotta has done in just ten months. Or rather undone. Imagine him being here for as long as Secco.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    What would happen? He'd get worse and worse at his job?

Secco did fine as long as he had no money, but he also didn't need to do an awful lot in the Serie B season and in the super motivated Serie A return. It's when it came to building for the future it backfired.

Juve_Kosova

★ ★ ★
    May 4, 2004
    I would say Marotta has been worse. Simply cuz I expected more of a guy who has been in this game for so long! Bringing in so many low quality players while letting go of better players seems like it was his plan all along :/ to fuck this club up more than it already was!!

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004

Think that was more the "Old Guard" and Ranieri's doing than Secco's.

I mean Ranieri didn't even use half of Secco's signings such as Tiago, Almiron, Criscito and Andrade but stll finished second.

mondo1

May 14, 2006
    srsly back than we had dp buffon trez camo and neddy which were all in top form.
    thx to them and many many dp's magic moments we got to the cl...
    which of seccos signings did succeed? none i would say..... still i think diego was a great signing even though a bit overpaid
    we shouldn'T forget what secco has done to the club! he signed limited players like amauri iq tiago almiron and co with cl and money!
    marotta on the other hand did not any better though. his loan moves are simply retarted and his love for italian mediocrity is just a shame. and he than passed on the only italian player worth playing for a club like juve was.
    if marotta stays on we will be even more screwed than if DN stays.... players like pepe toni barzagli matri martinez and co won'T get us back to glory days....but who knows if we will ever have those days again.... it seems like we are lost in mediocrity...

mfdoom

Dec 18, 2010
    his loan moves are simply retarted
    But what else he can do?It's not like we are swimming in money.I think the loan moves aren't that bad of an idea.I mean better to pay 5m now and decide after a year about the other 10 or 12 or even 15.If the player flops like Amauri, instead of 20m + 4-5 year wages we lose only 5m + 1 year salary.With CL unlikely every million we can save is important.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
    Feb 11, 2009
    When Secco came on board, despite the forced player losses due to calciopoli, we still had a decent squad which had been built by Moggi...that same team was the one which did very well on our first season back in Serie A. Whilst we still had some truly quality players, several of them aging, but still high quality, THIS was the time to be bringing in the future champions. We seemed to be affected by some kind of mental problem towards the end of Ranieri's tenure, but still, Ciro came in and we got into the champions league...Whilst some people suggest that Marotta is the man who decided on bringing Del Neri to juve, i havent seen anyone suggesting that Secco brought deschamps, ranieri, ciro, zach to the juve manager position. So I will avoid assuming that it was Marotta, mainly who decided upon Del Neri.

So in terms of SOLELY Transfers...Secco had 4 years, overpaid for many players, brought in the likes of Poulsen, Andrade, Tiago, amauri, grygera,almiron,sissoko, iaquinta...melo...diego...cannavaro, grosso.

most of the above players have failed miserably. Secco had a habit of aiming hard for a deep lying playmaker, then instead, signing a dog of war scrapper...same routine with d'agostino, then instead Melo. It was almost as if he didnt understand the differences between certain types of players, or had zero idea what the team needed to progress. he spent big and very very poorly.

Marotta has had less than one year. The problems left by Secco would have taken, and will take, any level of Sporting Director, more than 2/3rds of a season to fix. I don't think some of you realize the severity of the hatchet job Secco did on our squad, not just whilst he was there, but shocking mistakes that simply HAVE to take time to get fixed. I mean things like Grosso and Amauri.

So far Marotta has brought in Matri, Bonucci, Storari, Krasic, Sorensen, Camilleri, Aquilani, Quagiarella...all of whom i believe are decent signings. Pepe has been a bit hit and miss, but i would still say more useful than awful...Motta, Traore...very little $ loss, but useless. Toni we needed, maybe not for 18 months, but he could be moved on in the summer. Barzagli was a decent signing, for me, as he will be backup to Chiellini/bonucci, when we have a healthy, useful left back. So its really ONLY the martinez move, which seems like a serious failure. and in less than one season, marotta has brought to the club more players already useful, than secco did in 4 years.

also...nobody knows for sure why trez left. But the strongest rumours from the most reliable sources suggest that it was Trez himself, who asked to go to spain, kind of like a baby step towards retirement. keep the missus happy, as they moved near her family, enjoy the pleasant weather and relax away from the high pressure environment of Juventus. Maybe he could have been persuaded to stay, but given his service to the club, granting him such a request was a show of respect.

going back to Secco...what he did to this club, was not just destroy what moggi had created, but also massively lessened our ability to attract world class players. Secco was massively responsible for our failure to reach the champions league last season, and the lack of participation in that tournament this year, has not only lost us lots of $, but also made Marotta's job immeasurably harder. Top players demand as a minimum, in 99/100 cases, champions league football, if they are to move to a club. So when I read people writing things like 'we could have got van de vart for 9m!!! marotta is a dik'...or 'cassano was free!!!! marotta fuckup again...amauri has a lovely cok!!!'...the authors of such tripe are lacking understanding of the desire and need for players to be guaranteed champions league football...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)