The Coaching Situation (Youth/Senior squads) (1 Viewer)

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Youth Team:

first team coach :Giovanni Bucaro
26 July 2010
Bucaro: «I want to grow together with the team»

After a first week of work in Vinovo, and waiting to leave for Chiusa Pesio – where today it starts the summer retreat -, Primavera’s new trainer Giovanni Bucaro spoke in exclusive to Juventus Channel. «It’s not for everybody to get to such an important club, therefore it’s normal to be a little thrilled. But it’s a thrill that will soon be over, I feel ready to start this adventure».

After so much soccer as an athlete (at Foggia, in Serie A, the highest point) and some seasons as a trainer, now it’s time to try with the boys. Starting immediately from an important team such as Primavera bianconera: «Juventus for me is an arrival point as well as a starting point. I want so badly to do and to grow as a trainer. A desire that I want to transmit to all the boys who will work with me».

For this new adventure, Bucaro will be helped by goalkeeper’s trainer Claudio Maiani and by the athletic trainer Mario Rotondale. A first class staff to work hard since the beginning: «We need the maximum effort, but not only for these first training sessions, but for all the season. Targets? It’s normal that such a prestigious club wants to win, but our main target must be the one to grow up and make these boys improve».

Our new youth coach, Bucaro, doesn't sound too impressive, but perhaps there is more to him than the report states. His main attributes seem to be :Young and keen...when I would be expecting and hoping for 'highly experienced with success at other top clubs'.

Then there is this chap...who seems to have an important role, doing what exactly I am unsure.

Giovanni Rossi

He is 44 years old and was born in Marina di Carrara. Giovanni Rossi, the new Youth Sector manager, came from Sassuolo, where he was sports director. Now he is ready for a new exciting challenge, proud of having been called by Giuseppe Marotta.

Speaking to Hurrà Juventus, he told the story of how he was a player and then a manager and of his first days at Juventus, a club which invests a great deal on youngsters: «This is how it should be. Besides, during a world economic crisis, it is the route that all clubs should undertake. Juventus is already used to this, because the Juventus youth sector has a great tradition». The objective? «Forging players of Juve standard – continued Rossi. – Usually in a great team it is not easy for the youngsters from the youth team to find room, but Juventus in recent years showed the contrary, and not to speak of young players of Juventus playing in various other Italian clubs. The nursery is important, both for an eventual role in the senior squad as well as the possibility of having players to exchange».

Asked what impressed him the most in his first days at Juve, Rossi had no doubts: «The general context and the fact that the club is so well ahead when it comes to facilities from the Juventus Center in Vinovo to the stadium which is being built». Amongst the first persons he met at the headquarters was Gianluca Pessotto, with whom the work relationship will be very close: «I did not know him. I got to know him here. The thing that struck me most about him is his love for Juventus and the total availability he has for this club».

What did Rossi do at Sassuolo that persuaded a much bigger club to purchase his services?

And then Pessotto. The last I knew of his role at the club was directly connected with youth development. I mean him no disrespect. Always seemed a decent chap and gave his all for the cause when he played for us. But I question the wisdom of using a man who threw himself off a building due to a calciopoli fueled depression to inspire our youngsters. Someone very lacking in mental strength, and experience, at best. Which was strange to me, as he seemed at least constantly eager, as a player. For youth development,I would choose a man who can lead, demand respect, and has an ability to instill in young minds and hearts, passion and warrior like grit for the game. And obviously talented skills and tactical coaches alongside him. Pessotto, is nowhere near any of those characters.

I guess I am just a little surprised. to see in our youth setup, such a lack of coaches and organizers who have succeeded brilliantly, in similar roles, at other clubs in the past.

# Goalkeeping Coach: Alessandro Nista
( Preparatore dei portieri
Terminata la carriera agonistica, si è dedicato alla preparazione dei portieri, dapprima con il Torino e poi dal 2007 alla Reggina.[senza fonte] Nella stagione 2008-2009 ricopre lo stesso ruolo nel Grosseto. Nell'estate del 2009 passa alla Juventus come allenatore personale di Gianluigi Buffon e preparatore dei portieri della primavera.[1][2] A seguito dell'esonero di Ciro Ferrara, diventa allenatore dei portieri della prima squadra al posto di Michelangelo Rampulla.)

# Fitness Coach: Mario Rotondale
(can't find much on this guy)

Its the first time I have taken a detailed look at the staff filling these roles at the club. So I cannot say if its normal to have such relative novices, in such key positions. The only coach I remember other than Managers, was the ex marine Ventrone...and was with, i am sure, with the senior team.

First Team Squad

Deputy coach - Francesco Conti
Born in Chiavari on August 30th 1962, Francesco Conti lived his long career as a professional player in the minor leagues. A Midfielder of excellent technique and a good vision of the game, after various championships in C2 and C1, with Imperia, Francavilla, Sanremese and Fano he joined Ravenna, during the season '91/92. This is where he met Luigi Del Neri, and under his guidance obtained a historical double promotion, from C2 to B. The collaboration with the new Juventus coach goes continued also with Nocerina, during the '94/95 and '95/96 seasons. Conti ended his career as a player with Endella, but, he immediately began his career as trainer thanks to Del Neri, who summoned him to Verona, where he became the Chievo deputy coach. This was followed by the experiences with Porto, Roma, Chievo again, Atalanta and Sampdoria, before joining Juventus.

Basically tied to Del Neri. So the best I can say is that his measure of success must be judged similar to his boss. Is he a talented man, or simply Del Neri's mate???

The same can be said of
Fitness Coach-Roberto De Bellis who has worked closely before with Fitness Coach -Luca Alimonta

Goalkeepers’ Coach Claudio Filippi
Having graduated from the ISEF Statale of Rome in 1989, he has been a professional trainer since 1994 and a UEFA trainer since 1997. Claudio Filippi is one of most acclaimed and qualified goalkeeper trainers in Europe
he appears more the type. We have the best keeper in the world, he deserves the best trainer.

"Everything is proceeding well. We had a slight setback with Manninger but it was brilliantly overcome. The lads are adapting, want to work and this is the most important aspect". The goalkeeper coach Claudio Filippi, spoke of the situation on Juventus Channel.

After nearly a month of work he got to know his “pupils” and is more than satisfied with their response: "I had already coached Manninger for a year in Siena and so I knew him well while with regards to Storari I saw him play many times and therefore I already knew his characteristics well. Obviously, however, after these weeks both the positive and negative aspects came to light. Which are they? I will not tell you".

"Two players like them are a great example to youngsters like Bonassi and Costantino, who while training with the Senior Squad have the chance to improve because play at this level is much faster to that which they are used to".

In order to train the goalkeepers how to intervene on fast balls, Filippi often utilizes a shield with which to deviate a cross towards goal, stimulating the reflexes of the lads: "It is used to create handicap situations for the goalkeepers- he explained -. If they manage to solve those during training they will have an advantage during the matches".

"We try to vary exercises as much as possible to make the lads attentive. The possibilities are multiple even because we are trying to create situations which will be encountered during the match".

Finally a thought goes to Gigi Buffon, the great absentee: "A goalkeeper of extraordinary abilities. We await him with open arms".

Maurizio D'Angelo
Field assistant

What does a field assistant do? And if the man had any talent, why was he at Sudtirol before we grabbed him??

I know its normal for a manager to bring in his own coaching staff. I had just hoped that their CVs would be more colourful and encouraging, especially those in charge of the youth sector.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Lo-Pan

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
  • Thread Starter #3
    Well, I am glad someone else has an interest in our coaching set-up, as the more deeply I delve into our current and recent coaches, the more it becomes clear that our Board has been incompetent in more areas than just Managerial choices and Transfer strategies.

It explains why some players have worsened whilst at our club, and others have stagnated. Always easiest to blame the players themselves...but if they are been trained poorly, what can we expect ofr them?? To not do as they are told and try their own thing on the pitch...which would lead to them getting benched.

for example...
    Tiago, Poulsen, Momo...all have worsened.

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
    I remember our primavera coach was Maddaloni, and he did pretty good with 2 Viareggio cups. Where is he now?

OP
    Lo-Pan

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
    Feb 11, 2009
  • Thread Starter #8
    I remember our primavera coach was Maddaloni, and he did pretty good with 2 Viareggio cups. Where is he now?
    Good point mate...and I am near certain he remains. I will add some information about him and the others I missed on the first run. As perhaps what i perceive to be missing is actually present, just a little trickier to find information about them.

OP
    Lo-Pan

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
    Feb 11, 2009
  • Thread Starter #9
    I assume that Maddaloni has gone. Giovanni Bucaro took his place, and lost his first game in charge, against the senior side of Asti (2-1), last Sunday. Why was Maddaloni terminated when he had done well for the previous two seasons??? All I can gather is that the Andrea Agnelli era has begun with a wide reaching clean sweep of the coaching set-up. Too early to judge much of Bucaro. We will know more of both him and his young charges in September when the championship begins.

Maddaloni's last season in charge of the primavera gave us the Viareggio title, and a second place finish in the primavera league, losing out to Sampdoria, by a single point.

The youth sector is much larger than I first assumed. Wikipedia cannot be trusted as a source for up to date information, so I will avoid focusing on the coaches of the various youth teams...adding to this thread, only to explain, as briefly as possible, the youth set up, as an overview.

Primavera- 15-20 year olds. 'Each season, the 'Primavera' squad is the experimental group for the trial and/or promotion of the future members of the first team before the beginning of the Serie A season. Players deemed ready for first team football are registered and given a first team squad number. '
    They are the squad which plays in the Primavera Tim Championship, of whose history, we are ranked 4th in Italy, in terms of titles. Also they head into battle annualy for the Viareggio World tournament, which was have won for the last two years running. And have won the competition 7 times overall.
    Berretti- U19s
    Allievi- two groups of 15-17 year olds. Comprising of the following:
    Allievi Nazionali- Under 17s
    Allievi Regionali- Under 16s
    Giovanissimi- Three groups divided by age, ranging from 12-14 year olds.
    Esordienti- 10-12 year olds.
    Pulcini-8-10 year olds.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Glad you highlighted this for the 'no more loans' people:

The nursery is important, both for an eventual role in the senior squad as well as the possibility of having players to exchange».
    On this:
    Maddaloni's last season in charge of the primavera gave us the Viareggio title, and a second place finish in the primavera league, losing out to Sampdoria, by a single point.
    It is also worth pointing out that Juve didn't progress beyond the Last 16 of the playoff competition that follows the league championship, although the success of the system should be based on the quality of players that come through rather than how many trophies the team wins. Of course, often the two go hand in hand, but at times the coach can take credit.

Neutrol

Anti-Moggi
    May 24, 2009
    Our GK coach, Claudio Filippi, was awarded Goalkeeping Coach of the Year by the Associazione Italiana Preparatore dei Portieri (Association of Italian Goalkeeping Coach’s). The award was awarded following the unanimous votes of the members and a committee composed of 10 professionals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)