The Best Storylines Ever (1 Viewer)

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Personally I'm a sucker for games with great storylines, there have been some great ones over the years and IMHO they do more for a game than graphics or sound ever could.

I consider Deus Ex one of the greatest games ever written.Here's a brief overview for those who haven't had the opportunity to experience this stupendous game:

The time is somewhere in the distant future. You play through the eyes of the protagonist JC Denton. He is a nano-augmented paramilitary agent who works for UNATCO, a peacekeeping taskforce, along with his brother Paul Denton.

As the game progresses you come to realize that the organization you are working for is in reality only an arm of a larger entity known as Majestic 12, which is controlled by multi-billionaire Bob Page in his plan for global control over communication. JC is initially convinced that he is fighting the baddies in this power play, namely the NSF, a global terrorist group primarily concerned with the procurement of Ambrosia, the only medicine for the global epidemic known as the Gray Death. Ambosia is, incidentally, produced by Versalife which is in turn controlled by Bob Page's corporate arm Page Industries.

It is then revealed that Page also engineered the Gray Death virus and released it into the human populace. In being the sole producer of Ambrosia he basically would have a hold over anyone infected with the virus; in this way he managed to infect and threaten many governments and coporate institutions into working under his control, under threat of denying them their monthly dose of Ambrosia.

As JC finds out he defects, along with his brother, to the NSF, and goes to Hong Kong to enlist the aid of one Tracer Tong who helps to decipher the virus encoding and thus concoct a cure as opposed to Ambrosia which does not cure a victim but merely delays his death. Along the way he meets his former colleagues who have realigned themselves with Majestic 12 and JC's arch-nemesis Walton Simons, a nano-augmented agent and subordinate to Page. He is forced to kill them in combat.

In order to complete the cure JC goes to France and with the aid of another terrorist group Silhouette manages to contact Bob Page's former mentor and leader of the Illuminati, Morgan Everett. A cure is constructed and JC obtains schematics for a Universal Constructor which will mass produce the cure for worldwide distribution.

An artificial intelligence construct Daedalus, which has been helping JC and the resistance, is the result of the government project Echelon IV orginially designed by Everett.His protege, Page, designed a similar AI programmed to help fulfill his objectives, named Icarus. Page led the resistance to believe they were helping to preserve Daedalus by establishing a comlink to the Aquinas Protocol, which is also under Page and is the current global communications hub that had access to just about any form of communication-sort of like the internet, but much, much larger and more powerful.As JC established the link to the Protocol the two AIs merged to form a new entity, Helios, that was more powerful than the two and neutral in its stance.

Page planned to merge with Helios, which would enable him to exist both physically and in the cybernet and allow him to control all global communication, rendering the Illuminati, Silhouette and NSF helpless. JC personally infiltrated Area 51, which was Page's base of operations and where he kept the Aquinas Hub and the Helios mainframe.He was presented with three possible choices by Helios, Morgan Everett and Tracer Tong respectively: merge with Helios and rule the world with absolute reason and control, kill Bob Page turning Area 51 over to Illuminati control and oversee the world with an invisible hand alongside Morgan Everett, or finally destroy Area 51 altogether and Bob Page, Aquinas Hub and Helios with it, plunging the world into a new Dark Age eradicating global communications altogether yet making it free of tyranny and control of anyone including Everett.

Three choices, three endings.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've kept the story scaled down as much as possible.:)

Now its your turn. ;)

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jan 7, 2004
mafia

you start out small time, get your ranking high and then realize you got to get out there kill one of your friends, send the rest to jail, move all the way to the other coast. ten years after they find you and kill you

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Man, I've got a game with a hell of a storyline to tell you about. It involves a guy from Belgium who goes around faking his identity as his own brother, a Brit with an expensive haircut who gets possessed by a wannabe dope fiend/bad girl, a pharmacist who gets flamed for calling everyone "my friend", a guy living among tabacco pickers who makes love to women's finer footwear, and a cast of supporting characters who spend their time debating over reconstructions of things they may have said months earlier.

It's riveting stuff! :sleepy:

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
Man, I've got a game with a hell of a storyline to tell you about. It involves a guy from Belgium who goes around faking his identity as his own brother, a Brit with an expensive haircut who gets possessed by a wannabe dope fiend/bad girl, a pharmacist who gets flamed for calling everyone "my friend", a guy living among tabacco pickers who makes love to women's finer footwear, and a cast of supporting characters who spend their time debating over reconstructions of things they may have said months earlier.

It's riveting stuff! :sleepy:
this summory deserves a pulitzer :p

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I have you all beat. Disney's Kingdom Hearts. Youre a kid trying to save the world. Aided by Disney chatacters (who kick ass) and random Final Fantasy characters (who kick even more ass) its like playing a movie. Its a Disney produced Final Fantasy basically with voices from actors like the little kid in The Sixth Sense. If you havent played it you need to.

Duece EX or whatever is good too. Havent played that in a while.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
May 7, 2004
I loved Deus Ex. I havn't played it in years, but at the time it was definitely my favorite game, way above final fantasy for story line and all that.

The best character was Gordon Quick, just because of his name

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #13
    ++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
    mafia

you start out small time, get your ranking high and then realize you got to get out there kill one of your friends, send the rest to jail, move all the way to the other coast. ten years after they find you and kill you
    Good storyline as well, that. Not many stories end with the protagonist dying, and even then many can't pull it off well. Mafia had a great storyline, from having to kill Frank to winning a grand prix 1930s style. The presentation was really authentic too, aesthetically one of the most attractive games ever.

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004
    oh well. that game was awesome but it waso n my old computer, dont even have it anymore. i had half life 2 but i never played it :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)