The Azzurrini (U21) Thread (6 Viewers)

Barese

May 9, 2019
Hopefully he proves me wrong. But honestly I know him from these matches that ive seen from Italy, as I said they have played very defensively so its not easy for stikers to show their qualities. Wondering tho why PSV let him go so easily, the Dutch league is great for youngsters.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
I don't know as I don't follow the dutch league. There does seem to be a lot irregularities going on with his and the paths of other Raiola young clients. IIRC Raiola's ban comes from the Scamacca transfer from Roma to Zwolle as a teenager.

Barese

May 9, 2019
Dutch clubs dont have much financial resources, its basically their business model to promote young players and sell them after a few years. Ajax is the best example nowadays. Its very different compared to the mindset in Italy.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Chiesa said they’ll try to win u-21 euros. Someone on here told me he wouldn’t be called up. Does that mean him, Kean and Zaniolo will still possibly play?
Yes it seems so. Chiesa and the others are actually with the senior NT and are supposed to play the Euro qualifiers, last match being the 11 of June. They will join on the 12th of June, we play the first match on the 16th. Tight schedule.

Di Biagio called a large squad not containing the "senior" players, some cuts should be made there and we'll know the final squad by the 11th probably.

If everyone goes and no one gets injured the team should be very competitive. The 2017 U21 team was great, the one that beat eventual champions (Germany) and got to the semifinal where they lost to the Spain of Saul. This team could be of the same level if they can gel quickly. One thing to know is that Di Biagio is a scrub.

Maybe this?

Donnarumma; Calabria, Romagna, Mancini, Pezella; Zaniolo, Mandragora, Barella; Chiesa, Kean, Orsolini

Maybe with Adjapong, Di Marco, Locatelli, Parigini, Cutrone, etc. around depending on how many seniors they take.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Why are France and Argentina better than the teams that actually won? Mali just beat Argentina deservedly. Argentina could only score with a rebound (from a bad clearance) and an own goal.

Mali looked very good. Didn't watch the USA-France game but there they are, they won their match so they deserve to be through.

GIGIthebest

Jul 25, 2014
Yes it seems so. Chiesa and the others are actually with the senior NT and are supposed to play the Euro qualifiers, last match being the 11 of June. They will join on the 12th of June, we play the first match on the 16th. Tight schedule.

Di Biagio called a large squad not containing the "senior" players, some cuts should be made there and we'll know the final squad by the 11th probably.

If everyone goes and no one gets injured the team should be very competitive. The 2017 U21 team was great, the one that beat eventual champions (Germany) and got to the semifinal where they lost to the Spain of Saul. This team could be of the same level if they can gel quickly. One thing to know is that Di Biagio is a scrub.

Maybe this?

Donnarumma; Calabria, Romagna, Mancini, Pezella; Zaniolo, Mandragora, Barella; Chiesa, Kean, Orsolini

Maybe with Adjapong, Di Marco, Locatelli, Parigini, Cutrone, etc. around depending on how many seniors they take.
So Kean might not play? Or do u mean something else by senior players?

GIGIthebest

Jul 25, 2014
What do you mean? I wrote Kean as who I think will start in that lineup. Probably him or Cutrone starting.
Ohhh you mean he called up the squad mini the players playing for senior team. Sorry l misunderstood. I’m pretty excited to see Kean, Chiesa and Zaniolo in action. Italy have a good shot at winning this on home soil

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
@GIGIthebest the final list for the U21 Euro is out

Portieri: Emil Audero (Sampdoria), Alex Meret (Napoli), Lorenzo Montipò (Benevento);

Difensori: Claud Adjapong (Sassuolo), Alessandro Bastoni (Parma), Kevin Bonifazi (Spal), Arturo Calabresi (Bologna), Federico Dimarco (Parma), Gianluca Mancini (Atalanta), Giuseppe Pezzella (Genoa), Filippo Romagna (Cagliari);

Centrocampisti: Nicolò Barella (Cagliari), Manuel Locatelli (Sassuolo), Rolando Mandragora (Udinese), Alessandro Murgia (Spal), Lorenzo Pellegrini (Roma), Sandro Tonali (Brescia), Nicolò Zaniolo (Roma);

Attaccanti: Federico Chiesa (Fiorentina), Patrick Cutrone (Milan), Moise Bioty Kean (Juventus), Riccardo Orsolini (Bologna), Andrea Pinamonti (Frosinone).

Bolded the additions that weren't on the preliminary list. Calabria hasn't recovered from injury so is out, I assume Adjapong starts at RB. Donnarumma considered a graduate ad not a part of this team.

Barese

May 9, 2019
You were wrong. Sit down.
Yup, didnt expected it. We had some luck on the road to the semi finals, hopefully we'll win it now. Today allowing Mali who played with 10 men after 20 minutes to score 2 goals after a 2 goal lead. To many crosses that didnt reached the strikers. Plizzari saved a penalty again. Not really impressed as I was with the U17 team.

Last edited:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I don't know if it's just me but I don't really like watching U20 football. I'd rather watch U21 or U17 level. U20 seems like an U21-lite where half of the available team are in the next tier up, and U17 is entertaining because of the reduced structure and openness.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Maybe that's what it is. South American and African teams focus on U20 and then U23 level, it creates a false impression on U20 international football.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)