Azzurri Thread (75 Viewers)

Apr 9, 2015
A lot more Italians breaking through last 2 seasons. Good to see!
Clubs should still more invest in their youth academy and try to give them experience. Look at the Bundesliga. German youth players come from everywhere. I don't blame the bigger teams since they have less room voor developing their youngsters but especially the average Serire A team.

Good examples: Milan, Roma and Fiorentina (better teams), Sassuolo and Atalanta.
Worst: Chievo and the smallest clubs like Frosinone and SPAL.

I expect especially more from Udinese and Genoa since they were good academies in the last 10 year. Udinese not especially for Italians, but they gave youngsters at least a chance.

3 years ago there were +- 30 Italian youngsters in A, this year around 60!

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Italy call up Quagliarella
By Football Italia staff
quagliarella-1801-celebrating-epa_2.jpg
EPA.png

Sampdoria veteran Fabio Quagliarella has been called up to a two-day Italy training camp ahead of next month’s Euro 2020 qualifiers.
Although not an official squad, Quagliarella is selected by an Italy CT for the first time since October 2015, while the striker’s last cap came five years before that.
The 36-year-old is Serie A’s top goalscorer, having already netted 16 times for high-flying Samp this season.
Quagliarella is joined at the camp by teenagers Nicolo Zaniolo, Sandro Tonali and Moise Kean, all of whom have already been called up by CT Roberto Mancini.
There are also inclusions for several new faces, including Parma pair Alessandro Bastoni and Roberto Inglese, plus Torino defender Armando Izzo – who was given a six-month ban for match-fixing in 2017 – and newly-fit Milan full-back Andrea Conti.
However, no foreign-based players have been summoned due to scheduling conflicts, as is the case for those plying their trades at Frosinone, Lazio, Cagliari and Atalanta, all of whom play on Monday.
The exception to the rule is Nicolo Barella, who is suspended for Cagliari’s match against Atalanta.
The training camp will take place at Coverciano between next Monday and Tuesday, ahead of the Azzurri’s qualifiers against Finland and Liechtenstein on March 23 and 26 respectively.
Italy squad for training camp in full:
Goalkeepers:
Gianluigi Donnarumma (Milan), Alex Meret (Napoli), Salvatore Sirigu (Torino)
Defenders: Alessandro Bastoni (Parma), Cristiano Biraghi (Fiorentina), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Andrea Conti (Milan), Domenico Criscito (Genoa), Mattia De Sciglio (Juventus), Alessandro Florenzi (Roma), Armando Izzo (Torino), Manuel Lazzari (SPAL), Alessio Romagnoli (Milan), Leonardo Spinazzola (Juventus)
Midfielders: Nicolo Barella (Cagliari), Marco Benassi (Fiorentina), Bryan Cristante (Roma), Roberto Gagliardini (Inter), Lorenzo Pellegrini (Roma), Stefano Sensi (Sassuolo), Sandro Tonali (Brescia), Nicolo Zaniolo (Roma)
finally!!! 3 years too late

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Shame. He seems like a reasonable dude otherwise :D

Now, when I think of it, I was confusing him with James Horncastle, another Calcio aficionado. He's the Romanista, I believe.
Horncastle is a Romanista, but he’s always very complimentary of Juventus. Probably the best Italian footy journo out there alongside Paolo Bandini - who I think is a closet Juventino.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Really like James Horncastle. You can tell he likes Juve despite not supporting us and has openly said how much of a fan he is of Dybala.

Excellent journalist with a great knowledge of Serie A, which is rare in the UK media.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Yeh he definitely is.

You listen to the “Golazzo” podcast with Jimbo, Horncastle and Marcotti? It’s pretty good, although a bit annoying when Marcotti takes his usual anti-Juve stance. Anyway, the theme music alone is nostalgia-personified.
No. I presume it is the C4 Football Italia theme?

James Richardson was always top class, even if he clearly had a Fiorentina/Firenze and (AS) Roma vibe about him. Those were the glory days and might not return for a long while, calcio was magical then. It's not just nostalgia, it was the first thoroughly televised great league and so many great players.

As for the Azzurri, there have been so many false dawns I've become a bit jaded with them over the last 4 or 5 years, but you can see genuine quality coming through and it gives great optimism for the future. Besides, tournaments are not all about great players, as Croatia showed, but having great players does also help a lot, as France showed.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
D1tm9JRW0AAJxPD.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Injuries force some absences, form others. I see Meret, Conti, De Sciglio, Lo. Pellegrini, Insigne, Belotti and Balotelli on the fringes of this squad. A bunch of extra attackers basically for tryouts included too.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
What happened to Belotti? Wasn't that long ago Torino president was bragging about turning down 100mil euro offers :lol3:
Probably one of the reasons that ruin the player.

- - - Updated - - -

D1tm9JRW0AAJxPD.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Injuries force some absences, form others. I see Meret, Conti, De Sciglio, Lo. Pellegrini, Insigne, Belotti and Balotelli on the fringes of this squad. A bunch of extra attackers basically for tryouts included too.
Why the fuck didn't Chiellini retire man. Shit!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 73)