Syrian civil war (7 Viewers)

Jul 2, 2006
Turkey says warplanes shot down Syrian helicopter

16 September 2013 /TODAYSZAMAN.COM, İSTANBUL
Turkey's deputy prime minister has said Turkish fighter jets shot down a Syrian helicopter after it violated Turkish airspace in southern province of Hatay on Monday.

Earlier reports said opposition fighters shot dead two pilots after they ejected themselves after their chopper was hit.

Arınç said a Syrian military helicopter violated Turkish airspace near Güveççi, a village on Turkey-Syria border in Hatay's Yayladağı district, around 16:00. After violation, a number of Turkish fighter jets from a Malatya military air base dispatched to the area and shot down the helicopter.

After a Turkish jet was downed, possibly by Syrian air defense units, near Syrian air space over the Mediterranean in June last year, Turkey warned Syria that it would hit Syrian air force elements that got too near the Turkish border. In November last year, Turkish fighter jets scrambled as a Syrian warplane bombed the town of Ras al-Ain near the Turkish border as part of an air assault to dislodge opposition fighters.

Defense Minister İsmet Yılmaz said at the time that Turkey would use military force in response to any incursion by Syrian aircraft. "The necessary response will be given to Syrian planes and helicopters that violate our border," Yılmaz said.

In response to stray bullets or shelling arriving from the Syrian side, Turkish Armed Forces have on numerous occasions returned fire since the beginning of the civil war in Syria. In 2012, Turkish artillery fired on targets in Syria after Syrian shells landed inside Turkey and killed several Turkish civilians in one instance.

Turkey has a 910-kilometre-long border with Syria, where clashes between Syrian regime forces and rebel groups are currently ongoing along some parts.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
This article makes the most sense of the ones i red on this.
At the beginning it was reported that it was the rebels that took it down.
Then, it was said that Turkish fighter jets took it down, after invading their boarders and not responding to radio warnings,
the pilots succesfully ejected, but they were killed by the rebels soon after that.

So the question remains, were did the chopper fel, in Syrian land or Turkish land?
Cause if it was in Syrian land, it might have not invaded the airspace, or just did it to hunt down rebels and as it was warned it complied and returned back in Syria and was shot down within Syrian boarders.
If it fel in Turskish soil, then that would mean that Syrian rebels are tolerated by the Turskish army within Turkish boarders.

Whatever the case, its means trouble and the situation may escalate, it seems like someone is desperate to start the war vs the regime...

Jul 2, 2006
This article makes the most sense of the ones i red on this.
At the beginning it was reported that it was the rebels that took it down.
Then, it was said that Turkish fighter jets took it down, after invading their boarders and not responding to radio warnings,
the pilots succesfully ejected, but they were killed by the rebels soon after that.

So the question remains, were did the chopper fel, in Syrian land or Turkish land?
Cause if it was in Syrian land, it might have not invaded the airspace, or just did it to hunt down rebels and as it was warned it complied and returned back in Syria and was shot down within Syrian boarders.
If it fel in Turskish soil, then that would mean that Syrian rebels are tolerated by the Turskish army within Turkish boarders.

Whatever the case, its means trouble and the situation may escalate, it seems like someone is desperate to start the war vs the regime...
"It was repeatedly warned by our air defence elements. When the violation continued, our planes ... hit the helicopter at 14:25 with a missile causing it to fall on Syrian soil."

After a Turkish jet was downed, possibly by Syrian air defense units, near Syrian air space over the Mediterranean in June last year, Turkey warned Syria that it would hit Syrian air force elements that got too near the Turkish border.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
So are saying that it was just near Turkish boarders, inside Syrian territory hunting rebels and not invading Turkey...
This just makes sense, thats why i said this article has to be accurate!

Early reports claimed it was the Syrian rebels, because they have shot down Syrian regime helicopters before and since it was in Syrian soil, they assumed it happened again.

Jul 2, 2006
Turkey conducted 'punitive action’ by shooting Syrian helicopter, Turkish FM says

Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu has said that Turkey conducted a “punitive action” by downing a Syrian helicopter, justifiable in terms of international justice and rules of engagement as the helicopter violated Turkish air space despite warnings.

A Syrian helicopter was shot down by The Turkish Air Force at the border after the helicopter violated Turkish airspace.

Davutoğlu stressed that Turkey would not accept any violation of its borders.

"As it was before, we are decisive about protecting our borders and citizens to the end ... The necessary information [about the incident] will be handed to NATO, the United Nations Security Council, and the U.N. General Secretary," he said.

"Nobody will dare to violate Turkey's borders again. The necessary measures have been taken," the foreign minister added.

Jul 2, 2006
From radar. Green is Turkish F - 16, orange Syrian helicopter, red is where incident happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZEar5e7VDY

You realise you just thumbed him up for calling my kind, as in the neutral irish, warmongering profiteers?
Haven't you said that you are English?

U.N. confirms sarin used in Syria attack; U.S., UK, France blame Assad

(Reuters) - U.N. chemical investigators on Monday confirmed the use of sarin nerve agent in an August 21 poison gas attack outside the Syrian capital in a long-awaited report that the United States, Britain and France said proved government forces were responsible.

"This is the most significant confirmed use of chemical weapons against civilians since Saddam Hussein used them in Halabja (Iraq) in 1988," U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said. "The international community has pledged to prevent any such horror from recurring, yet it has happened again."

The U.N. team was investigating only whether chemical weapons were used in a deadly assault on the rebel-held Damascus suburb of Ghouta. The report does not say who launched the attack, though U.S., British and French envoys said technical details in it pointed to government culpability.

"On the basis of the evidence obtained during the investigation of the Ghouta incident, the conclusion is that chemical weapons have been used in the ongoing conflict between the parties in the Syrian Arab Republic, also against civilians, including children, on a relatively large scale," said the report by chief U.N. investigator Ake Sellstrom of Sweden.

"In particular, the environmental, chemical and medical samples we have collected provide clear and convincing evidence that surface-to-surface rockets containing the nerve agent sarin were used," it said.

The report said the weather conditions on August 21 ensured that as many people as possible were injured or killed. Temperatures were falling between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m., it said, which meant that air was moving downwards toward the ground.

"Chemical weapons use in such meteorological conditions maximizes their potential impact as the heavy gas can stay close to the ground and penetrate into lower levels of buildings and constructions where many people were seeking shelter," it said.

The results of Sellstrom's investigation are not surprising. Several weeks ago U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry announced that sarin had been used in the chemical attack on the Ghouta region. The United States has said that 1,400 people were killed, including more than 400 children.

"This was a grave crime and those responsible must be brought to justice as soon as possible," Ban said.

On Friday, Ban said Syrian President Bashar al-Assad "has committed many crimes against humanity," though he did not specifically blame him for the Ghouta attack. He added that Assad would be held to account for his crimes.

RESPONSIBILITY UNCLEAR

Syria and Russia have blamed the August 21 attack on the rebels. The rebels, the United States and other Western powers blame forces loyal to Assad for the Ghouta attack.

It was not immediately clear whether any of the details in the report suggested culpability.

British, French and U.S. envoys told reporters the U.N. report left no doubt that Assad's government was responsible for the chemical attack. The opposition Syrian Coalition said the report "clearly shows that only the Syrian regime could have carried out these attacks."

Russian U.N. envoy Vitaly Churkin countered that there was no scientific proof government forces were responsible for the attack. "We need to not jump to any conclusions," Churkin said.

Syrian U.N. Ambassador Bashar Ja'afari did not respond to requests for comment on the report.

U.S. Ambassador Samantha Power provided some details.

"We have associated one type of munition cited in the UN report - 122 mm rockets - with previous regime attacks," she said. "We have reviewed thousands of open source videos related to the current conflict in Syria and have not observed the opposition manufacturing or using this style of rocket."

British U.N. Ambassador Mark Lyall Grant said the rocket samples examined had a payload of 350 liters (92 gallons), which was 35 times the amount used in the Tokyo subway attack in 1995.

"Mr Sellstrom confirmed that the quality of the sarin was superior both to that used in the Tokyo subway but also to that used by Iraq during the Iraq-Iran war," he told reporters.

"This does not point to a cottage industry chemical," said Lyall Grant, taking a swipe at earlier comments by Churkin. Churkin said in July that a Moscow analysis found "cottage industry" quality sarin gas was used in an alleged March 19 attack, which he blamed on the rebels.

President Barack Obama signed an order on Monday waiving a part of the U.S. Arms Export Control Act to permit U.S. authorities to supply protective equipment to Syrian opposition members to guard against chemical weapons. The order also extends to international organizations.

The U.N. investigators studied five impact sites and were able to determine the likely trajectory of the projectiles at two sites: Moadamiyah and Ein Tarma.

Eliot Higgins, who blogs under the name of Brown Moses and has been tracking videos of weapons used in the Syria conflict, wrote that he has not seen the opposition using the munitions identified in the report: a variant of the M14 artillery rocket and a 330 mm caliber artillery rocket.

Rebels have seized all kinds of weapons from military depots across the country in the 2 1/2-year civil war that has killed over 100,000 people, according to the United Nations.

But Amy Smithson, a chemical weapons expert at Monterey Institute, said the August 21 attack bore "so many hallmarks of a military trained in chemical warfare doctrine" and not an untrained force. She said the army has chemical delivery systems the rebels lack.

The U.N. confirmation of sarin gas use on August 21 comes as France, Britain and the United States agreed in Paris to seek a "strong and robust" U.N. resolution that sets binding deadlines on removal of chemical weapons.

Those talks followed a weekend deal on Syria's chemical weapons reached by the United States and Russia that could avert U.S. military action to punish the government for August 21.

Ban urged the Security Council consider ways to ensure enforcement and compliance with the U.S.-Russia plan. "I agree there should be consequences for non-compliance. Any use of chemical weapons by anyone, anywhere, is a crime," he said.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
I'm an Irish Citizen of present, which means my government is only participating by sending peacekeepers to the Golan Heights, having previously, you know, been in Lebanon getting shot at by Israelis...

I'm a human being that doesn't believe in war, and I am against any war for profit or war for vanity and think war is inherently pointless unless its to stop innocent people dying (not to bomb more innocent people like Iraq/Afghanistan).

I'm a Social and Economic Conservative for the most part and politically in favour of religious guided but secular states (Mubarak = not following the core goals of Islam IMO, so he was a Secular Autocratic).

I am a student of politics and war, I study human rights and abuse of power in depth and have a Masters Degree in just that.

So please, enlighten me, What exactly is my kind, and how do I support war for profit?

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
I'm an Irish Citizen of present, which means my government is only participating by sending peacekeepers to the Golan Heights, having previously, you know, been in Lebanon getting shot at by Israelis...

I'm a human being that doesn't believe in war, and I am against any war for profit or war for vanity and think war is inherently pointless unless its to stop innocent people dying (not to bomb more innocent people like Iraq/Afghanistan).

I'm a Social and Economic Conservative for the most part and politically in favour of religious guided but secular states (Mubarak = not following the core goals of Islam IMO, so he was a Secular Autocratic).

I am a student of politics and war, I study human rights and abuse of power in depth and have a Masters Degree in just that.

So please, enlighten me, What exactly is my kind, and how do I support war for profit?
You're Western bro, there's a conspiracy theory hidden somewhere under that.

Jul 2, 2006

Are you peaceful Irish citizen in some days of the week and something else in other days? Because you sound different back then and when i told you about Ottoman in their worst period cared about other corner of the world and aided Ireland during the famine, you said it doesn't matter because you are English. Great reasoning btw.

Turkey..where they genocide millions....
If this shit goes Yugoslav I want to arm the Christians.
Go rape a tourist on a beach you barbarian.
Lol, no, because we're not primitives.
If the oceans were the ink, it still would not be sufficient to tell English atrocities, so think twice before calling people primitives and barbarians.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
Are you peaceful Irish citizen in some days of the week and something else in other days? Because you sound different back then and when i told you about Ottoman in their worst period cared about other corner of the world and aided Ireland during the famine, you said it doesn't matter because you are English. Great reasoning btw.

If the oceans were the ink, it still would not be sufficient to tell English atrocities, so think twice before calling people primitives and barbarians.
Your knowledge of citizenship, nationality, and ancestry is lacking I fear. Indeed, your knowledge of History must also be called into question.

You also seem to be inferring that pointing out that the Turkish nation have a lot the answer for for their genocide makes be a warmonger.

Dude, how hard is it just to say, I'm Turk, I believe in Islamic government, I'm non-violent but I am very upset at intervention against people I believe to be MY people, the community of Muslims and believe we should defend ourselves if attacked. I love my country and I love my Religion.

Just be cool like, accept that maybe you might be wrong sometimes, I know I certainly am.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
He who seeds wind shall harvest storm.

It's easy to condemn them as a spectator from kilometers away. If someone kills your children and rape your wife, it will not take much time before you wield a sword as well.
I could not say it better. Those hypocrites who choose few pictures to show that the criminal and the victim are using the same ways are too pathetic...
From your posts I can conclude that the killers on the above pictures are the ones you support in this conflict. Frankly, I had no idea who's killing and who are the beheaded. I posted the pictures solely to show that they are doing these things in front of children.

Jul 2, 2006
From your posts I can conclude that the killers on the above pictures are the ones you support in this conflict. Frankly, I had no idea who's killing and who are the beheaded. I posted the pictures solely to show that they are doing these things in front of children.
Anti-Islamic media were using these for days with a subtext of ''let the savages die, they don't deserve any sympathy''.

It's no different than this.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Anti-Islamic media were using these for days with a subtext of ''let the savages die, they don't deserve any sympathy''.
I bet that many did exactly this, which is unfortunate. I now read that the beheaded men were doing just as bad, if not worse things than what they got. In any case, to me it's much more relevant that they're doing this in front of kids. I believe both sides are doing that. If I noticed correctly, there are no women or female children on the pictures, so I conclude that they were protected from being exposed to this terrible sight. On the other hand, the male kids are there, which leads me to another conclusion, i.e, that the elderly wanted their sons to watch this and learn. What will become of these children if they somehow survive the terrors in Syria? What will become of them when they watch their parents and uncles killing and celebrating a murder?

Jul 2, 2006
I bet that many did exactly this, which is unfortunate. I now read that the beheaded men were doing just as bad, if not worse things than what they got. In any case, to me it's much more relevant that they're doing this in front of kids. I believe both sides are doing that. If I noticed correctly, there are no women or female children on the pictures, so I conclude that they were protected from being exposed to this terrible sight. On the other hand, the male kids are there, which leads me to another conclusion, i.e, that the elderly wanted their sons to watch this and learn. What will become of these children if they somehow survive the terrors in Syria? What will become of them when they watch their parents and uncles killing and celebrating a murder?
What will become of them is another day's question. Will they see the tomorrow is the one we should ask now. I don't enjoy the scene they had to witness as well but our priority is securing their tomorrow and assadist propoganda doesn't help the situation. I don't mean you but the ones publishing these over and over to condemn Syrian's struggle for their freedom as a whole.

And those remote controlled anti-war tools! They were no where to be found when they were really needed, when USA invaded Iraq and Afganistan for profit. But when intervation is necessary to save lives of millions, their voice is louder than ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)