Summer Mercato Thread 2018 (47 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
It's like @Kyle wishing a 7,62x51mm-SCAR-H for christmas and getting a handsoap instead.
Why would I wish for something that I already own?
It's handsoap though. So we can assume the intention behind this gift wasn't to get @Kyle to take a bath, you don't bath in handsoap after all.
Mexicans like ILFJ do I guess

- - - Updated - - -

Just give me two of the three: Can, Torreria, Fabinho

SMS would also be acceptable but we don't enter bidding wars so not happening.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
I disagree, I think he still has immense potential that can be unlocked by a good coach, he has everything necessary to be a great DM. Of course it's a gamble, because he hasn't been living up to expectations at Inter, but then again we can't afford to buy 6 guaranteed quality CMs.
This is exactly the problem I dont think he ever had that potential to begin with..
I never saw him as such a great player..
He is a defensive minded player and not even a kind that can exist in today`s football - He is the type that is no longer relevant to the world of football (except for mid table clubs and below)
Matuidi is a defensive minded player that can fit in today`s football
Kante is a defensive minded player that can fit in today`s football

Why Matuidi and Kante and why not Kondogbia?! Easy!
Matuidi and Kante are both players that run all over the pitch (not commenting about their quality and strength) but they cover a lot of ground while adapting into the modern game play style
Kondogbia is just too static! (I admit I havent seen him in Valencia so unless those things changed he just cant fit here) He is a bit slow IIRC, he is static, his passing ability is ok at best, his only strength is actually his strength...
To me Kondogbia is like a limited type of Melo - a slower less mobile with Melo having better passing skills..

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Why would I wish for something that I already own?

Mexicans like ILFJ do I guess

- - - Updated - - -

Just give me two of the three: Can, Torreria, Fabinho

SMS would also be acceptable but we don't enter bidding wars so not happening.
I suppose thats a more sophisticated way to say that we cant afford him :beppe:

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
This is exactly the problem I dont think he ever had that potential to begin with..
I never saw him as such a great player..
He is a defensive minded player and not even a kind that can exist in today`s football - He is the type that is no longer relevant to the world of football (except for mid table clubs and below)
Matuidi is a defensive minded player that can fit in today`s football
Kante is a defensive minded player that can fit in today`s football

Why Matuidi and Kante and why not Kondogbia?! Easy!
Matuidi and Kante are both players that run all over the pitch (not commenting about their quality and strength) but they cover a lot of ground while adapting into the modern game play style
Kondogbia is just too static! (I admit I havent seen him in Valencia so unless those things changed he just cant fit here) He is a bit slow IIRC, he is static, his passing ability is ok at best, his only strength is actually his strength...
To me Kondogbia is like a limited type of Melo - a slower less mobile with Melo having better passing skills..
Kondogbia is about as static as Matic is, being slower then average doesn't mean your static. Matic is a lot futher ahead in his career and would have a greater input on our side then a Kondogbia, however claiming he's static is nonsense. He was marshalling a 2 man midfield with Moutinho, a light weight creative deep lying midfielder like Pjanic, and he was great there.

Kondogbia isn't our answer, I'd rather a much more proven player like Fabinho, but I wouldn't dismiss Kondogbia at a discounted price, specially knowing what happens when we usually buy Inda reject (except lucio, nanes was legendary here)

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
Torreira is better than Can. He’s a better passer, more agile, and more defensively aware. Can is taller and older, that’s it.

Ideally we sell both Khedira and Sturaro in the summer, and get both Torreira and Can. I would prefer Kovacic though but that’s not happening.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
I mean, Nedved96 has a point there.

Can is older and taller...AND he's a Bayern youth product that played for Leverkusen and Liverpool at the age of 24, already having 20 caps for the german NT.

But hey! that Torreira kid, being only 2 years younger with the best team he ever played for is Sampdoria, clearly is the superior talent. Let's not fool ourselfs.
What does his NT career look like btw?

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
What I do really like about Torreira is his anticipation/understanding of his teammates movements. Leads to his very good short/medium range passing accuracy. He zips the ball around, and really does a good job at playing in tight spaces; guy has got quick feet. This is somebody who could help break the press. Also pretty fearless going into the tackle.

I think he'd complement some of our pieces quite well.

Guys like Fabinho and SMS seem like pipe dreams at this point. Those price tags seem like they'll be tooooo rich for Beppinho.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

Can is older and taller...AND he's a Bayern youth product that played for Leverkusen and Liverpool at the age of 24, already having 20 caps for the german NT.

But hey! that Torreira kid, being only 2 years younger with the best team he ever played for is Sampdoria, clearly is the superior talent. Let's not fool ourselfs.
And you don't even like Can. Speaks volumes about Torreira :lol4:

- - - Updated - - -

Neither Can or Torreira should be a starter here at the moment. In the future perhaps, but neither is good enough right now. WOuldn't mind bringing both to flesh out our midfield rotation with more quality.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Neither Can or Torreira should be a starter here at the moment. In the future perhaps, but neither is good enough right now. WOuldn't mind bringing both to flesh out our midfield rotation with more quality.
Can isn't good enough? Liek Khedira, Ruru or Marchisio is better?

Emre Can is so underrated here.

- - - Updated - - -

Troll96's gonna troll.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Can isn't good enough? Liek Khedira, Ruru or Marchisio is better?

Emre Can is so underrated here.
It's not that I think Emre Can is worse than any of those players. He's not. It's that I want us to aim higher for a third CM to partner Matuidi and Pjanic in the starting XI. I'd love to sign Can as the 4th CM, just not as the instant fix to our midfield issues. Perhaps he proves himself here and becomes world class, takes a starting spot. That would be fantastic. But I'd like us to get 2 CMs (Can and someone like Kovacic perhaps) in a class above our current options for CM #3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 46)