Stoning or Firing Squad? (2 Viewers)

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
Utah prepares for firing squad execution of Gardner

Ronnie Lee Gardner, undated image from Utah Department of Corrections Ronnie Lee Gardner has been on death row for 25 years

The US state of Utah is preparing to put convicted murderer Ronnie Lee Gardner to death by firing squad, the first such execution in 14 years.

The US Supreme Court rejected a final appeal, meaning Gardner - who has spent 25 years on death row - will die at 0005 local time (0605GMT) on Friday.

Gardner, 49, chose the firing squad as his method of execution before it was banned by Utah in 2004.

He will be only the third man put to death in that way in the US since 1976.

He was convicted in 1985 of fatally shooting a lawyer during an attempt to escape from a court where he was facing another murder charge dating from 1984.
Appeal rejected
Continue reading the main story

Mr Gardner has had a full and fair opportunity to have his case considered by numerous tribunals

Gary Herbert Utah governor Utah counts down to execution

A federal appeals court in Denver denied Gardner's request for a stay of execution on Thursday.

Just hours before his scheduled execution, the US Supreme Court - the highest court in the nation - rejected Gardner's final appeal against that decision.

Utah Governor Gary Herbert also rejected a request for a temporary stay on Thursday, saying Gardner's legal team had presented no material that had not already been considered by the courts.

"Mr Gardner has had a full and fair opportunity to have his case considered by numerous tribunals," he said in a statement.

On Tuesday, he ate his final meal of steak, lobster, apple pie, vanilla ice cream and 7-Up, before beginning a 48-hour fast.

His lawyers said Gardner had undertaken his fast for "spiritual reasons", the Salt Lake City Tribune newspaper reported.
'Wild West'

The execution will be carried out by a five-man firing squad.

Four of their rifles will be loaded with live bullets but a fifth will carry a blank, so that none of the men knows with certainty that he shot a lethal round.

Gardner will be hooded and strapped to a black metal chair, with a target pinned to his chest. He will be asked for his last words before the firing squad's triggers are pulled.

Critics say the method is a relic from the state's Wild West past and should be abolished.

Death row convicts in Utah were for decades allowed to choose their method of execution.

State legislators removed that choice in 2004 and made lethal injection the standard method - but inmates sentenced before then can still opt for firing squad.

SOURCE: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_and_canada/10347166.stm
LONGER VERSION: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_and_canada/10254279.stm

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I'm surprised that this is actually going to happen, what if he survives getting shot?
It's impossible. Four placed shots round the heart with an adequate calibre round will do the trick, even if two miss the target and hit his shoulder. Two rounds through the heart and he will immediately go into shock and won't feel a thing.

OP
Dragon

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8
    I'm surprised that this is actually going to happen, what if he survives getting shot?
    According to the article, the odds of that happening are really low because the firing squad have already practised plus the guy will have a target over his heart so the guys know where to aim and shoot

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    I heard about this on the radio last week

apparently the squad firing is a trained force that takes this very seriously

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    According to the article, the odds of that happening are really low because the firing squad have already practised plus the guy will have a target over his heart so the guys know where to aim and shoot
    I heard about this on the radio last week

apparently the squad firing is a trained force that takes this very seriously
    Read the article. They're local officers who volunteered.
    :lol:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    One of the volunteers was on CNN earlier and he said, "I've killed squirrels I have more sympathy for. We need to rid the Earth of some people."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)