[SPA] La I beat you 8-0 Liga 2012/2013 (166 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I personally don't think they would have had this slump if Pep was still coach, but thats just me speculating. I think the gravity of their problems became even more magnified by the fact that Tito while being a decent coach isn't that great tactically, and Roura his assistant is extremely poor. This group of Barcelona players need a manager that keeps them on their toes. Someone like Pep who had no qualms sending away the likes of Eto'o, Zlatan(after just one year), Ronaldinho and Deco because he thought they weren't committed enough and didn't work hard enough on the field, was the right manager for them. I'm not sure if you follow Barca, but from the start of this season, it was obvious that they didn't work as hard in pressuring the opposition and retaining possession, Pep mixed it around a bit with tactical formations, and played with 3 at the back sometimes to keep them from being predictable (See the first classico in the league last season). There is an obvious difference between Pep and his predecessors imo.
I only tend to see Barca in big games.

Can't be done with watching them thrash standard La Liga sides on a weekly basis.

Barca, as far as I'm concerned have two main issues:

As you said, they aren't pressing the way they used to and that is allowing teams to attack them more and expose their poor defence; and

They don't have enough big movements off the ball to stretch opponents, so it's much easier to keep the game really compact and deny them space. Non of the 'forwards' consistently run in behind and I can't remember the last time I saw Xavi hit a diagonal for Alves running in behind a defence the way Pirlo regularly does for Lichtsteiner. Barca used to do it all the time.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Trying to copy Jack's style isn't going to win you any points.

I said this 3 times now, my point isn't about whose better. But if you're so insistent of avoiding the argument, so be it. I'm not going to force you to enter an argument even you know you're going to lose :p
What the fuck??

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I only tend to see Barca in big games.

Can't be done with watching them thrash standard La Liga sides on a weekly basis.

Barca, as far as I'm concerned have two main issues:

As you said, they aren't pressing the way they used to and that is allowing teams to attack them more and expose their poor defence; and

They don't have enough big movements off the ball to stretch opponents, so it's much easier to keep the game really compact and deny them space. Non of the 'forwards' consistently run in behind and I can't remember the last time I saw Xavi hit a diagonal for Alves running in behind a defence the way Pirlo regularly does for Lichtsteiner. Barca used to do it all the time.
You're right on both counts. I think where we disagree is Pep's effect on these changes.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Valdes is by faaaaaaaaaar on a level of his own. And Alves was waving fuck you to fans too. Xavi makes dumbass comments in media after big losses and such too, but in general rest of their players arent much different from how other teams handle defeat.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
You're right on both counts. I think where we disagree is Pep's effect on these changes.
The movement bit was a big issue last season, I thought.

The pressing was still decent last year, but not as ferocious as it was a few years ago.

A big issue is that Barca just haven't changed much in several years now. Over that amount of time good sides are going to figure out how to play against you.

Milan and Real Madrid, the two sides to show Barca up most clearly, are also the two big clubs with the most experience of playing against them in the last couple of years, so have had the chance to really develop a gameplan of how to operate in those games.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
The movement bit was a big issue last season, I thought.

The pressing was still decent last year, but not as ferocious as it was a few years ago.

A big issue is that Barca just haven't changed much in several years now. Over that amount of time good sides are going to figure out how to play against you.

Milan and Real Madrid, the two sides to show Barca up most clearly, are also the two big clubs with the most experience of playing against them in the last couple of years, so have had the chance to really develop a gameplan of how to operate in those games.
Their game was never based on off the ball movement behind opposition defense. But their movement in midfield, and their pass-move football was much better last season than it was this season, they almost always created chances, even against teams they lost against. They created chances against Chelsea, and forced them to make last ditch tackles, they created chances against Real in the game they lost, and forced Casillas into several saves. This season, all they do is pass it around in midfield, and at an extremely slow pace, they can't create chances against Real anymore, and they created nothing against Milan. I think theirs a huge difference.

Also, the games they lost last season were against a Real team that was near perfect in the Liga, and against Chelsea who went on to win the CL. This season they are losing time and time again to a Real team that is much weaker than last season, and to a Milan team that will most likely be eliminated in the QF if they play against any semi decent team. They would have never lost such games, definitely not in the matter they did this season, had Pep been coach imo.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Yeah, it's not just about teams figuring them out. They have been unimpressive in a few games this year. I don't know if it's a lack of Guardiola because under Tito they were doing fine too. Soon as he got sick and left, they've been suffering. The new assistant coach sucks.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Yeah, it's not just about teams figuring them out. They have been unimpressive in a few games this year. I don't know if it's a lack of Guardiola because under Tito they were doing fine too. Soon as he got sick and left, they've been suffering. The new assistant coach sucks.
Ya, theres definitely a huge difference between Tito and Roura, the latter has completely fucked their season up :D

However, look at Tito's performance in classico's, theres an obvious difference between last season and this season.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
Even with Tito when they broke the record for most points in the first half of the season, they weren't impressive, sure they still win because of the level of talent they have but not in a an impressive fashion like they used to with Pep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 166)