Show us your desktops! (4 Viewers)

Yamen

Apr 20, 2007
Wow, 8 years. Here's a leading question.. do you like Microsoft products?
Generally speaking. Yes I do. I know that there is a big saga about Microsoft products and the wuality they offer especially about Windows and Office, but believe you me, if used correctly, and with the right hardware you wont even hear about what happens out there.

Would you believe me if I tell you that I only had a blue screen in one single occasion. Upgrading to Windows Me. Otherwise, I never faced any :angel:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Generally speaking. Yes I do. I know that there is a big saga about Microsoft products and the wuality they offer especially about Windows and Office, but believe you me, if used correctly, and with the right hardware you wont even hear about what happens out there.

Would you believe me if I tell you that I only had a blue screen in one single occasion. Upgrading to Windows Me. Otherwise, I never faced any :angel:
That's hard to believe.

What do you think about the forced upgrade cycle?

Yamen

Apr 20, 2007
That's not how I would put it. Speaking from the inside, Microsoft is committed to provide support for earlier versions of the products. Especially the ones that would have huge impact on consumer. There are lots of offers, but unfortunately they aren't well marketed.

Where you forced to upgrade?

I believe in one thing. If it's working, why fix it! I tell you an example; we still have some special customer's who are running on Windows NT.

I am still running windows XP if that helps :)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
That's not how I would put it. Speaking from the inside, Microsoft is committed to provide support for earlier versions of the products. Especially the ones that would have huge impact on consumer. There are lots of offers, but unfortunately they aren't well marketed.

Where you forced to upgrade?

I believe in one thing. If it's working, why fix it! I tell you an example; we still have some special customer's who are running on Windows NT.

I am still running windows XP if that helps :)
Think of it this way. A government is funded by the taxpayers' money. This government decides to buy Windows and Office from Microsoft for use in government departments. Then a new version of Office comes out. The new Office format can not be opened in the old Office version. If the department wants to be able to communicate with business/governments that are using the new Office, they have upgrade. Aside from the format incompatibility, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade. But now they have to use taxpayer money to upgrade Office only because Microsoft decided to make the new Office file format incompatible with the previous one.

This is how Microsoft has made money the last 10+ years. This is exactly the reason why governments around the world now, at long last, have woken up to this reality, and want an open office standard.

When a company controls when the customer has to buy new things from the company, that is not only a monopoly, it is a monopoly being abused.

Yamen

Apr 20, 2007
But that was only for office. And such special goverments would have special deals were they get free upgrades, and do not need to use taxpayers money to upgrade. And in every office release you have the option to save as the previous version of office.

The same goes for your computer. You can't get a laptop and keep it for more than 2 years at most. New Hardware gets you new software.

I would say the key is just one word. Marketing. If MS had the same plan for the past 10 years, then you can't blame them. It is a matter of choice..

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
But that was only for office. And such special goverments would have special deals were they get free upgrades, and do not need to use taxpayers money to upgrade. And in every office release you have the option to save as the previous version of office.
Free upgrade? You're kidding, right? If they had free upgrades then Microsoft wouldn't be making money on them. No way that would ever happen. Besides, we know that's not true, because governments all over the world are saying they hate the forced upgrades because they are too expensive.

The same goes for your computer. You can't get a laptop and keep it for more than 2 years at most. New Hardware gets you new software.
Personal computing is not the same as government and business. Individuals buy new hardware because they want new software. Government and business want to avoid upgrades at all cost for as long as humanely possible. Upgrades = risk.

I know you work for Microsoft, but please tell me you don't actually believe everything they tell you.

Yamen

Apr 20, 2007
:) I knew it would end up like this :)

What I am telling you is based on my experience. I deal with our customer's on daily basis and there hasn't been any such talk describing free upgrades as expensive.

It is a big package that they get. Free upgrades, and services.

Version incompatibility is not the only reason they keep buying the products. It is a more complex circle.

I am here just to clarify a little. And if I don't believe in it, I wouldn't have lasted 8 years.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
εℓ niño;1785184 said:
and what's your desktop wallpaper?
That one I posted is an Aston Martin DBS

On the coming one it will probably be a KDE 4 wallpaper or a photo that I have taken myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)