Show us your desktops! (5 Viewers)

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #987
    Now if I could only figure out how to make the icons jump, bounce and fly around the way I have always seen it on youtube demos....:toast:
    Isn't that a separate dock app? I don't remember which one I tried, but the icons flying around was just freaking annoying, because I realised that sometimes I wanted to click on them to launch programs.
    dear lord there's a ton of settings :D
    The difference between a geek and a regular person is the :D at the end of that sentence, instead of :scared:

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    Isn't that a separate dock app? I don't remember which one I tried, but the icons flying around was just freaking annoying, because I realised that sometimes I wanted to click on them to launch programs.
    Ya I know its annoying, I just wanna try it out, and dazzle potential converts with it :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    The difference between a geek and a regular person is the :D at the end of that sentence, instead of :scared:
    sure isn't meant for gnome people this, they would go bonkers with all these options ;)

window stickiness by default:
    Visual Effects > Wobbly Windows > Default snapping on & Edge Attraction (dunno if necessary)

Not exactly helpful that everyone is calling it something different. I grew up with "sticky windows" (winamp nomenclature), here they call it snapping. What it really is (and noone is calling it that) is sort of magnetic windows that attract each other.

Also a bit of a bother that this is under Visual Effects rather than derm Window Management, with all the other window behavior settings.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
    Hey Sadomin, didn't know you are a fellow Ubuntuer :pint:
    Hah, fooled you. :D It's actually a heavily customized XP. I used Ubuntu 6.10 with Gnome and Beryl for a month. I worked hard and spent a lot of time making everything work properly, and while I did learn a lot I felt XP suited me better. I have Ubuntu installed on my old computer for experimenting even more, but I rarely use it.

I'm sure I'll install Linux again in the future, but I'll wait 'til more drivers and software are supported. One thing I fell in love with was the interface and ability to have several screens open at once, so I copied it. ;)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Hah, fooled you. :D It's actually a heavily customized XP. I used Ubuntu 6.10 with Gnome and Beryl for a month. I worked hard and spent a lot of time making everything work properly, and while I did learn a lot I felt XP suited me better. I have Ubuntu installed on my old computer for experimenting even more, but I rarely use it.

I'm sure I'll install Linux again in the future, but I'll wait 'til more drivers and software are supported. One thing I fell in love with was the interface and ability to have several screens open at once, so I copied it. ;)
    The fonts give it away. I got fooled into thinking ubuntu as well, but the font just didn't look right to me, Windows font rendering (pre-Vista at least) is pants.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
    I actually got quite a few font options (some came with the theme, some using ClearType Tuning), but I haven't messed with them yet. Do you happen to know what fonts Ubuntu uses?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    I actually got quite a few font options (some came with the theme, some using ClearFont), but I haven't messed with them yet. Do you happen to know what fonts Ubuntu uses?
    No, it's not the fonts themselves that are the problem, it's the way they are drawn by the operating system/Xorg.

Not sure about Ubuntu, I use Bitstream Vera Sans a lot myself, which is a common font cause it's free and I know Ubuntu has it, might be using it.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
    No, it's not the fonts themselves that are the problem, it's the way they are drawn by the operating system/Xorg.

Not sure about Ubuntu, I use Bitstream Vera Sans a lot myself, which is a common font cause it's free and I know Ubuntu has it, might be using it.
    I see. I'll try to come as close as possible and return with the results. What I need now is to find a good boot screen to replace the Windows XP one. :eyebrows:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    I see. I'll try to come as close as possible and return with the results. What I need now is to find a good boot screen to replace the Windows XP one. :eyebrows:
    You should be on Extreme Makeover :D

Btw what's the point of running almost-ubuntu on Windows? :confused2

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    I was just thinking how mac users drool over it, it's not even very useful, it slows me down. The previews on the taskbar are much more useful.

Btw tell me if you have this: http://www.opencompositing.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=120&hilit=
    Ya its kind of a slowdown, I don't use it, I was just asking because I discovered it two days after installing Beryl :D

About your post on that forum, unfortunately I never used snapping before, nor do I know what it does. I will try to enable it and figure it out, since you seem so fond of it.

@Sadomin: Ya I was fooled alright, but I didn't have any reason to suspect otherwise, I just looked at the top left and saw the Ubuntu logo and assumed it as is. Didn't really scrutinize ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)