Show us your desktops! (7 Viewers)

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #48
    This is one I had a while ago; my current desktop is boring because I'm so picky about what's on my desktop. No icons, just a wallpaper with all my menus etc. auto-hiding

I'll make sure I post my new desktop once I've got sexy Linux running :drool:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    Nice dektopns guys...

Hey graham , that App in the top right corner is pretty cool... :thumb:
    What's it called?

PS. You still using StyleXP.. if not what themes to you use now? (and how heavy is it on the system?)

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #54
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
    Hey graham , that App in the top right corner is pretty cool... :thumb:
    What's it called?
    It's not a seperate app, it's just a module of Samurize, which is the same thing that displays the weather, tv programs and news. You can get scripts to fetch info off pretty much any webiste, I make it display livescore.com when matches are being played.
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
    PS. You still using StyleXP.. if not what themes to you use now? (and how heavy is it on the system?)
    Yeah I'm still using StyleXP. I've just gone for a simple blue theme, cos I'm using a blue Moz skin and my wallpaper's that blue mushroom thing I posted a while ago. It's currently using 1,340K

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    I've never tried Samurize...
    I'll give it a shot....thanks :)

I'm really anal when it comes to how my laptop operates... a little bug, glitch or conflict that isn't easily fixed with a fixtool or by restoring, I format the whole damn thing. :geek:
    My last format was about a year ago. My laptop's been great ever since. ( **knocking on wood **) I have everything EXACTLY the way I want it and it runs so smoothly... so i dont want F it up.

I havn't installed StyleXP since my last format. I've mentaly associated the problems i've had with my PC with it.. so I dont want to reinstall it... i'm just afraid of going through the whole formating thing again. So, i'll stick with the Olive, Blue, or Silver themes :groan: . Besides that, StyleXP does slow me down a bit. I always have so many things running for at the same time for days. One of my Mozilla windows (with 11 tabs) has been open for two weeks now. Every mb counts in my case. I'd rather have all my apps running smoothly than make my Pc a bit prettier than wait and listen to the Hard disk and memory swap files for Virual memory. (I already have 512mb of MM and I think i'm due for an upgrade)

Anyway, enough biatching ..

I've been wanting to install Linux for ages :stress: (ask Martin.. he's probibly annoyed with me by now for telling him this :D ) You just gave me the extra encouragement to go through with it. :thumb: That Tutorial Martin posted is brilliant. Anyhow, i'd probibly start my preperation next month as Finals are comming up!

The last time i formatted, i already planned on installing Linux. I've already left about 5G of unpartitioned HDD space. That should be enough just to get the hang of Linux and use it for basic operations, or at least i hope so (right Martin? :scared: )

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #56
    Hehe excellent ;)

Speaking of formatting, I've burned about 20 CDs in the past few hours, getting ready for a big format. The last one I did was about a year ago too. I didn't realise how many ISOs I'd downloaded in that time. Usually I just Daemon them, but now that I'm formatting I have to put them onto physical media :stress: It doesn't help that games like XIII and Knights of the Old Republic take 4 CDs alone :fero:

I've accumulated a lot of junk pictures/videos/sounds in that time too :wallbang:

I bet as soon as I format my HDD, I'll think "Oh crap, I forgot to backup ______ :wallbang:"

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
    Hehe excellent ;)

Speaking of formatting, I've burned about 20 CDs in the past few hours, getting ready for a big format. The last one I did was about a year ago too. I didn't realise how many ISOs I'd downloaded in that time. Usually I just Daemon them, but now that I'm formatting I have to put them onto physical media :stress: It doesn't help that games like XIII and Knights of the Old Republic take 4 CDs alone :fero:

I've accumulated a lot of junk pictures/videos/sounds in that time too :wallbang:

I bet as soon as I format my HDD, I'll think "Oh crap, I forgot to backup ______ :wallbang:"
    when i formatted last time, i did something better :p... my roomate and I chipped in and bought a 120G external HDD :D... i didn't even have to connect it to my computer. we had a network setup at home and that drive was sharred (physically attached to his PC). it took a couple hours to back up my data file. I didn't bother using an app like Norton Ghost to save my setting. i wanted a fresh start.

you should really get an external HDD. it's extremely handy for backup and archiving huge files that you dont normally use, but would like to keep. Or, like you said, a DVD-RW.

lately, i've been DLing so much too. I only have 3G left from my 35G HDD, and I dont even play the latest games (4 CDs :eek: :dazed: ) on my PC! :eek: (with the exception of a couple of SNES, NES, and Atari ROMS, prince of Persia classic (DOS), and a couple QBasic Games) all these games total about 10mb :angel:

most of the HDD space it taken up by music or football highlights!

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #59
    Actually I've got a 20GB external HDD, but it's full of my dad's stuff :( Roms actually take up a fair bit of space, my MAME, Zinc, SNES, PSX, N64 roms alone took up a whole CD which was unexpected.

My music and football highlights took up a fair bit of room too, in fact that's what I put on what little space there was on the XHDD.

I haven't really planned my partitions yet, or how Linux is gonna sit in my system, so I'll have to see about that

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
    Actually I've got a 20GB external HDD, but it's full of my dad's stuff :( Roms actually take up a fair bit of space, my MAME, Zinc, SNES, PSX, N64 roms alone took up a whole CD which was unexpected.

My music and football highlights took up a fair bit of room too, in fact that's what I put on what little space there was on the XHDD.

I haven't really planned my partitions yet, or how Linux is gonna sit in my system, so I'll have to see about that
    yeah... research it before you make the simpleset desicions while formatting..
    i dont know how much space to leave, but i'm pretty sure that it has to be "unpartitioned"

Maybe Martin can confirm this...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)