Should Zambrotta be fined/suspended for admitting to diving? (1 Viewer)

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
All This Morality Is Ridiculous - Lippi

Marcello Lippi finds the fuss generated by the Zambrotta case, too much. "Every Sunday there are episodes that can advantage or disadvantage you. All this morality is ridiculous; in these cases it's always better not to say anything. Referees know who the simulators are and they can already punish them on the pitch."

Regarding his team's performance, despite of the turnover he adopts, Lippi says, "I'm satisfied by the results as well as by the turnover; involving all the squad elements is fundamental, even if it might go against certain automatisms."

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Zambrotta: I'm not a diver
Posted by Alex | Football Italia

Gianluca Zambrotta now maintains he did not dive for Juve’s winning penalty, despite initially admitting that he had.

“I am not a diver,” assured the defender upon his arrival at the Italy camp. “It isn’t in my nature. I have never dived in my career.”

It was an intriguing statement just two days after confessing to “accentuating” contact with Cristian Zaccardo for a late spot-kick.

That penalty proved decisive in Juve’s 2-1 victory over Bologna at the Delle Alpi and placed the club level top of the Serie A table with Milan.

“I am relaxed and have always been honest,” insisted Zambrotta. “In any case, I will learn from this experience.”

The Azzurri squad and Coach Giovanni Trapattoni were bombarded with questions on Zambrotta’s admission that he had dived to win a penalty.

“I have always told my players never to react to a foul,” revealed Trap, “because that damages the entire team. Anything else is simply a part of the game.”

The question of ‘simulating’ fouls was already in the news this week after referees and the Players’ Association asked for video evidence to be used against divers.

“It certainly would act as a deterrent,” added Trapattoni, “but then you must be careful and make a distinction between outright diving and merely losing your balance.”

Bianconeri goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon also rushed to his teammates’ defence.

“The fact that Juventus deserve to be top of the table is beyond dispute,” he insisted. “I follow the club’s policy of never arguing about refereeing decisions, whether they are for or against us.”

The controversy has further exploded around Zambrotta’s continually changing story.

“I am very sorry to hear what some people are saying about him,” added Buffon. “Sometimes you can fall without necessarily diving.”

“If Zambrotta had kept his mouth shut then none of this would have happened. Instead he was honest and that is an example of his sportsmanship.”

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
It's good that he admitted to diving, but I hope that Juventus will never have to resort to diving to win again!!!!!!!! Come on!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)