Serie A tops world League table (2 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Now that Channel 4 is back online:

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jul11h.html

Serie A tops world League table Monday 11 July, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serie A is the most competitive League in the world, according to statistics released today.

Italy's top-flight pushed the English Premiership into second place and Spain’s La Liga into third, according to the International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS).

The IFFHS looked at how close the race to be crowed champions was, as well as the chase to avoid relegation and for the Champions’ League places.

The Scudetto was decided in Week 37, a week before the close of the season, while the Premiership and La Liga titles were decided well before.

They also looked at the number of foreign players in each League, as well as how highly the League is viewed from abroad, and awarded points accordingly.

Top 15
Italy 594 points
England 587
Spain 482
Argentina 478
France 472
Brazil 453
Holland 449.5
Mexico 446
Colombia 391.5
Germany 382
Portugal 373
Greece 336
Russia 322
Chile 310.5
Turkey 309

---------------

Which is all well and nice. And I've liked some of the data that the IFFHS has collected. But talk about a credibility crisis:

http://www.iffhs.de/main/ranking/clubweltrangliste/?sprache=englisch

Inter as the strongest club in the world ... and expanding their lead on the basis of their Coppa Italia win?

http://www.iffhs.de/main/englisch/clubweltrangliste/text/?zurueck=clubweltrangliste

That ought to raise some eyebrows...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
It should also focus on the gap beween the top and the rest of the league. On the race for European spots and more importantly: also the battle for relegation rather than just the title chase.

Holland more competitive than Germany and Portugal? That's horse bollocks of the purest form.

ashwin

Jul 19, 2005
i dont really think its comparing apples to apples. each league is different, different style of football and different spirit its been played in. the rankings mean piss all at the end of the day. premiership rox!! lol

ashwin

Jul 19, 2005
well alright, i think with all this internationalization and globalization stuff going on, for a person that lives outside of europe (where undoubtely the world's best football is played), the premiership is gonna be the most attractive league to watch. they've got such an increadible mix of foreign players that its fun for everyone to follow. and the quality of football is great.

in terms of competition alright, it used to be arsenal manure fighting for the top, but recently chelsea millions (or should i say billions? i'd hate to think how much the wages would cost on top of the transfer fee's) has added that extra spice factor.

italy undoubtedly has a heck of alot of competition. but an over-competitive league is not neccesarily the best league, in terms of football quality. too much competition causes too much caution, which leads to very carefull defensive football. im not saying serie a is a low scoring league or unnatractive one, for the simple reason that i haven't checked up the stats and that i dont watch much italian football. but looking at the juventus vs ac milan final and comparing it to arsenal manure matches, u can really really see a difference.

i reckon the risk factor ads a great deal of excitement, and thats something that italian teams have been unwilling to take (in the games that i've seen, which is mainly champions league football).

lastly, one thing i've noticed is that italian fans seem to have this attitude of win or lose, aslong as the rivals dont win we're alright. where as in premiership its win or lose as long as manure doesn't win its alright, which too me is a better attitude, cos if i was happy every time spurs lost, i'd be a very easy person to satisfy...and thats not good now is it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)