Serie A: Things Will Never Be The Same Again (1 Viewer)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++
I have a question...

Why is it when a mod edits his post to remove something after hes caught out ... The fact the post was edited is hidden.

So outside of my initial quoting of his post my replies make no sense as that particular peice is now missing from "his" article
:wallbang:

get off the case already, would you!? :rolleyes:

at least you've stopped Biaching about "opinions"... :thumb: ... now it's about mod policies... not bad!

Buy on AliExpress.com
Dec 27, 2003
Let me just post this again in case someone cares to read it this time.

++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
The myth of the Seven Sisters, an expression coined by the inimitable Carletto Mazzone, lasted roughly 2 seasons (say, from 1999 to 2001).

I for one am happy that the Seven Sisters are no more, because had they endured we might have ended up with a league split between the "haves" group and the "have-nots" group, with the seven richest clubs dictating their wishes to the others. Granted, the rift between the top teams and the rest keeps widening, as Milan has collected 9 times as many points (!) as Ancona after day 18, but it's refreshing to see the likes of Chievo, Sampdoria or Udinese still up there with the best.

I also think that it is no coincidence that the reign of the Seven Sisters corresponded with italian clubs' poorest record in European competitions for two decades.

The beauty of the serie A is that although you will always have a Milan or a Juventus to play the role of the favourites, you can also always rely on a Napoli or a Sampdoria to be the spoilsport.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Kaiser, hasn't Serie A been a league of "haves" and "have nots" for the last couple of decades now? Sampdoria in the early 90's was the only squad outside of the Seven Sisters to even win a Scudetto, as its been mostly Juve and milan the last 10 years.

Those spoilsports are becoming few and far between, and if finishing 6th in Serie A, such as a Udinese, is considered a major accomplishment, then really, what has changed?

This system in place, with a lack of competitive balance, has always soured me, but then again, I've *****ed about it on numerous threads on this forum :)

Dec 27, 2003
Yes Stupendous Man, but the point is that Juve and Milan will always be around, like Real and Barca in Spain or Man Utd and Arsenal in England.

I think it is easier for smaller teams to have their say in a League where only two or three squads are regularly above the lot than in a league where you have 7 teams constantly grabbing the first seven spots in the table and leaving only scraps for the remaining 11 clubs.

The 90's were dominated by the Milan-Juve duopoly, granted. But Lazio and Roma still managed to win one title each, and teams like Genoa, Fiorentina or Torino still came third. Ideally we should have a situation like in the 80's, where Verona, Roma, Juve, Napoli, Milan, Inter and Samp all had their moment of glory.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++

I hope that's true, especially that football means alot to Italians.

It will also be nice to see Napoli back and stable in Serie A. But as mentioned in the article, even if the likes of Fiorentina and Napoli got back to Serie A they won't be the powerhouses they used to be.

-----

fred, I wrote the whole post after reading that article . Its true I copied that sentence but meant to change it. Something slipt my mind and so I left it exactly the same. Big deal, huh?

:D

But at least my posts are usually more than 1 sentence and make sense :dontcare:

oh ya and at least i dont copy and paste an article and then claim that i wrote it

K10

Jul 12, 2002
Enough already Fred...

Back on topic, it's such a shame that there are only 3 big teams in Italy left because the 7 sisters is what made Italy unique in the past. It was the only league that you can see more than 3 teams fighting for the title.

It is so true that Serie A will never be the same again. IMO, football on a whole will never be the same again and it will just get worse everyday.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Good point Kai, a league is much more entertaining when the difference between relegation and a champions' league spot is a handful of points

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++
Enough already Fred...

Back on topic, it's such a shame that there are only 3 big teams in Italy left because the 7 sisters is what made Italy unique in the past. It was the only league that you can see more than 3 teams fighting for the title.

It is so true that Serie A will never be the same again. IMO, football on a whole will never be the same again and it will just get worse everyday.
ok ok..
sorry Dpforever,but sometimes i cant resist being childish:DI hope you didnt take it seriously

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
Yeah right : bring back the Seven Sisters and watch them bully the 11 minnows into submission.
Not so much bringing back the 7 Sisters, but having some sort of system where some of these lower division teams, in time, be able to play for something a little more meaningful than the Intertoto Cup.

The system, as it stand s right now, really only gives 5 or 6 teams a realistic chance to win, and two of those teams, Inter and Lazio, can barely get out of their own way sometimes.

Honestly, I have to wonder what on earth the motivation can be for a supporter of Reggina, knowing full well they have no chance of accomplishing anything. Lack of other diversions in those cities puts a virtual stranglehold for the entertainment dollar in favor of those smaller clubs. They are the only game in town, so if you don't go to see them play, what other choice do you have.

It's pretty sad, really. Then again, we as fans of Juve and Milan have never had to experience something like that in at least the last 20 years, so God knows how we would all react if they were suddenly a lower-echelon club.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
Great article, I enjoyed reading it.

And yeah now you people are gonna tell me that you've never stole something written from the Internet (at least one sentence!) and that everything you've written in your life has came all from your head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)