[Serie A] Sassuolo 0-3 JUVENTUS [February 10th, 2018] (4 Viewers)

vote

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 6, 2015
Whoever analyses games there is retarded if they only saw 2 xGoals from the number of great chances we had today.
I'd think they are analyzed automatically. You split the field in to different zones and give a scoring probability to each zone based on data. Ideally that data would contain thousands of games. The problem would be that for Sami's goal for example the zone where he shoots is a pretty good goalscoring zone but the algorithm couldn't know that the net was empty as well further improving his chances to score.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I'd think they are analyzed automatically. You split the field in to different zones and give a scoring probability to each zone based on data. Ideally that data would contain thousands of games. The problem would be that for Sami's goal for example the zone where he shoots is a pretty good goalscoring zone but the algorithm couldn't know that the net was empty as well further improving his chances to score.
:tup:

It just seems like a bit of a pointless algorithm, that doesn’t say much. If it doesn’t take into account keeper positioning, whether there’s a player in front blocking the shot attempt, etc etc.

And it would also need to account for each individual player’s probability and likelihood to score from any given chance on the pitch. Considering the gulf in quality between players and teams. Also quality of the keeper in net and his ability as a shot stopper, and what sides, angles, positions are most likely to beat him.

If it’s just taking locations of shot attempts in a game and assigning probability of those shot attempts to goals, it’s a completely useless stat.

Jun 6, 2015

It just seems like a bit of a pointless algorithm, that doesn’t say much. If it doesn’t take into account keeper positioning, whether there’s a player in front blocking the shot attempt, etc etc.

And it would also need to account for each individual player’s probability and likelihood to score from any given chance on the pitch. Considering the gulf in quality between players and teams. Also quality of the keeper in net and his ability as a shot stopper, and what sides, angles, positions are most likely to beat him.

If it’s just taking locations of shot attempts in a game and assigning probability of those shot attempts to goals, it’s a completely useless stat.
Yeah agree with everything you said.

Who knows perhaps they have something more refined in place, but looking at the numbers I doubt it. I'm not sure anyone in football has data available where you have the positions of each player on the field at any given moment. In the NBA for example they do so perhaps it's only matter of time that someone starts gathering data that in football as well.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
So we have Frosinone at the 15th and then Atletico at the 20th
Frosinone thread guys?

- - - Updated - - -

BTW Dybala was amazing in his 8 minutes

spurdo

Jun 4, 2016
So we have Frosinone at the 15th and then Atletico at the 20th
Frosinone thread guys?

- - - Updated - - -

BTW Dybala was amazing in his 8 minutes
So far Dybala has had some of his best performances off the bench, like against Young Boys. His tricky feet work best against tired legs, so not suprised.

spurdo

Jun 4, 2016
Today our crossing was amazing; Ronaldo, Khedira, Mandzukic and Rugani managed to get on the end of some fantastic crosses and we were unlucky that only Ronaldo managed to play his one in. When we have both Ronaldo and Mandzukic in the box it's crucial to throw those in as often as possible, since they are pretty much impossible to defend against if the cross comes in just right.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Sassuolo was very bad, it has to be said. They gave us an important first goal and also missed an open net.

I did like how we had more possession in the middle of the pitch. In the 2nd half we used Bernardeschi more between the lines centrally and then Dybala after the sub.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Sassuolo was very bad, it has to be said. They gave us an important first goal and also missed an open net.

I did like how we had more possession in the middle of the pitch. In the 2nd half we used Bernardeschi more between the lines centrally and then Dybala after the sub.
I hope Dybala starts vs Atletico

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002

Who knows perhaps they have something more refined in place, but looking at the numbers I doubt it. I'm not sure anyone in football has data available where you have the positions of each player on the field at any given moment. In the NBA for example they do so perhaps it's only matter of time that someone starts gathering data that in football as well.

Hopefully never, the nerdy analytics and super obbssessive stats gathering is an american past time in all of their sports. Its not necessarily whatsoever in football.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013

The braindead imbeciles at r/soccer swear by xG.

juve103423

Mar 22, 2010

Its clearly just a matter of time. Training and tactics will be changed significantly with more data available (not necessarily a good thing for football in general).

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
3-0 is a flattering scoreline for us. They missed a 1v1 (Szczesny with a great save that could've been a penalty) and Berardi missed an open goal.

Rugani and Caceres are a very poor excuse for a CB pairing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)