[Serie A] Roma vs JUVENTUS (12th Dec. 2011) (15 Viewers)

sidd

Sep 1, 2005
We`re better off having an off day yet still getting a point away at Rome, obviously we could`ve played better, but these are exactly the kind of games that`ll help us iron the kinks out, expect a great reaction against Novara and hopefully we`ll do well in the head to head against Udine, that to me will probably be a crucial game to this campaign!

Buy on AliExpress.com

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Not an unreasonable observation and one that occurred to me at the time.
That's nonsense. The inconsistency existed in the way this rule is executed is because the rule is not clear or/and no ref is blamed/punished for either decision he'd make in such situations. It has always seemed to be all up to the refs. It'd have been up foo debate if the same ref had made two different decisions in these two games.

I personally think no penalty should be retaken in such circumstances unless the player who steps into the penalty area before the penalty is taken influences the incident.

They were both such clear penalties that the ref couldn't not give them.
Were they? Roma's was a bit too soft I thought.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Our biggest problem right now, highlighted by this game is the poor quality of our forwards. We have been for many matches been seeming to lack the last touch or that last move up front. Either Marchisio bails us out with a last minute goal or we do score but are still terribly nonclinical. We just needs forwards with better touch and a better eye for goal. Quag should be starting from now on and Del Piero should be getting more time especially over Estigarribia and Giacherini and Pepe.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
That's nonsense. The inconsistency existed in the way this rule is executed is because the rule is not clear or/and no ref is blamed/punished for either decision he'd make in such situations. It has always seemed to be all up to the refs. It'd have been up foo debate if the same ref had made two different decisions in these two games.

I personally think no penalty should be retaken in such circumstances unless the player who steps into the penalty area before the penalty is taken influences the incident.
I'm not saying that Totti's penalty should have been retaken or that Napoli's one should have been retaken.

But you can't blame Napoli fans for feeling hard done by when a ref suddenly decides to go for a strict interpretation of a rarely enforced rule.

And I don't disagree with how you say the rule should be interpreted.

Were they? Roma's was a bit too soft I thought.
It was clear Vidal stuck his leg out, didn't get the ball and that Lamela went over his leg.

Always going to be given, and rightly so.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Our biggest problem right now, highlighted by this game is the poor quality of our forwards. We have been for many matches been seeming to lack the last touch or that last move up front. Either Marchisio bails us out with a last minute goal or we do score but are still terribly nonclinical. We just needs forwards with better touch and a better eye for goal. Quag should be starting from now on and Del Piero should be getting more time especially over Estigarribia and Giacherini and Pepe.
for obvious balance issues, we allways need 1 pepe/giac, coupled with quag/alex/esti/elia on the other side

besides vucinic, we havent gotten a technical wide player who's endproduct justifies dropping the balance that pepe or giac offer.

its very simple, if for example elia totally explodes, we can play him high up the pitch, the opposition are forced to guard him and cant push forward much, balancing the less defence out

however, with medium quality wingers, if you drop the balance, they should press the entire flank because the risk is low enough.

a player like vucinic works, runs intelligent, connects up front, and basically keeps their fullback buzy. you simply dont want to risk getting countered on that flank.

and exactly this, is what makes a working winger with plenty of offensive endproduct like shaqiri so desirable

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
I'm not saying that Totti's penalty should have been retaken or that Napoli's one should have been retaken.

But you can't blame Napoli fans for feeling hard done by when a ref suddenly decides to go for a strict interpretation of a rarely enforced rule.

And I don't disagree with how you say the rule should be interpreted.

It was clear Vidal stuck his leg out, didn't get the ball and that Lamela went over his leg.

Always going to be given, and rightly so.
Tough penalty call. It was a messy melee in the box plus Llama should have been sent off by then.

How many times did the ref give llama a final warning???

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
We need a forward who is strong with the ball at his feet. A support striker who can score himself, beat a player, or act as a playmaker. This is why DP should have been out there in the absence of Vucinic. Matri is hopeless at dribbling and passing. He depends on a skilful SS and midfielders to score.

We really need a WC striker in Jan or at the end of the season at the latest.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
There should be some changes in this penalty rule and they should make it more clear and more logical.

The penalty taker has his back on the other players so he can't see them and their presence in the box, as in the case above with Chiellini, makes no difference to him. So only if Chiellini plays a role in the action after Buffon's save i.e if he clears the ball or stops a Roma player from getting to the ball first, the penalty should be retaken.
With the goalkeeper it's different. He can see all the players and a presence in the box can distract him. So whenever an opposition player is in the box and the penalty taker scores, the penalty should be retaken.

I repeat, this isn't the actual role but it's how I think the rule should be changed and later implemented. It should be something all refs should follow, opposite of how it is now and how every ref freely breaks the rules which say that the GK can't move in front of the goal line before the penalty is taken and players can't be inside the box at the moment when the penalty is taken.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Some football rules lack strictness in favor of the so called 'flaw of the game'. But I think it's bull and they should make the rules strict, undisputed and certain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)