[SERIE A] Roma 1-4 JUVENTUS (March 21st/09) week-29 (5 Viewers)

Man of the Match

• Buffon

• Grygera

• Mellberg

• Chiellini

• Molinaro

• Salihamidzic

• Tiago

• Poulsen

• Giovinco

• Del Piero

• Iaquinta

• Nedved

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Well, in his defense, he got a lot of help today from his teammates. :p :D
:p I think he was pretty bad and agressive today but I still think he's a good defender.

I can't believe some people wanted him here.

[SERIE A] Roma 1-4 JUVENTUS (March 21st/09) week-29
You shouldn't do that yet.I know some people (Tahir) doesn't want to know the score.He wants to the watch full match.

You should just edit it tomorrow IMO.

Jun 13, 2007
Can we play Giovinco for 90 minutes at least once this season? Can we please do that? What is the point in bringing on a useless player who isn't very good going forward or going backwards when Sebastian deserves to play and needs that playing time to become more developed as a player? These times when we are up 3-1 or 4-1 are the moments for the player to show us his true skills and develop some mean confidence while the pressure is off. We have seen what Giovinco can do, people were proven wrong by not playing him all throughout the season, but apparently it's still proper player management to never allow a blossoming starlet 90 minutes on the pitch. Whatever floats your boat.

Great performance by the players today putting in an efficient display. In the first half all play went through Giovinco and in the second we had some decent and lucky opportunities to score, thankfully capitalizing on most of them. The Roma squad today did what they could while having to deal with so many absences, but they're obviously no match for our players. The defense was shaky at times but overall the two centerbacks did a great job, especially Chiellini on two match-saving occasions. The central midfield, at least in my opinion, did well and at least completed passes instead of giving the ball away cheaply. Giovinco is the go-to playmaker in the team and the greatest threat to the opposition, especially when Hasan or Marchionni is out there providing next to nothing. Moreover, the team chemistry even looks better when Giovinco is playing, so this really speaks for how much the kid means to the team.

And lastly, a controversial note. The past three matches have arguably been our best string of matches during this season, and potentially some of our better games considering the competition and what was at stake. We did well against Chelsea at home and now away to Roma. If you notice who we had in midfield during these matches, perhaps you'd be stunned. Tiago was a mainstay in the team while Sissoko, the player who isn't exactly able to provide consistent passes, was absent. Instead, we fielded players who can manage to complete passes that have a little more creativity than others. Tiago, Marchisio and Poulsen are all players who can pass the ball well. A couple people have claimed Sissoko is not European calibre because he doesn't have the distribution skill, and right now their opinions have a little more weight behind them - we have done well without a destroyer in these past few matches. Is this coincidence or is there something behind the trend?
About Giovinco, I also would have liked to play the entire 90 minutes, but when you come to think of it, Ranieri wasn't exactly wrong in substituting him. We were up 3-1 when Gio went out, also he didn't see much of the ball in the second half. Idiots like Loria and Mexes were intentially fouling our players and were getting away with it every time. I was actually very surprised Ale or Gio didn't get injured.

About Sissoko, Let's not too carried away here. I wouldn't really call Tiago or Poulsen expert passers of the ball. Granted, they are better at it than Momo but they lack the defensive qualities Sissoko has. We beat Bologna last week, and a Roma team comprising of a second rate midfield, I don't think the Poulsen-Tiago Duo is even close to European calibre, I think we stand a much better chance with Marchisio-Sissoko.

If players like Aquilani and De Rossi were playing against Poulsen and Tiago, their lives would have been much much more difficult. That isn't to take away from a very good performance by the both of them today. I never saw Tiago as a very skilled player, but he is an intelligent player in my opinion. Poulsen should see more of the ball, he gives a nice flow to the game with his passing, we desperately need someone like that cabale of initiating attacks and passing the ball around neatly.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I don't think any team has ever had such a full treatment table like Roma did today. It was inevitable they will crumble like this with 9-10 players out injured.

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Well I still find Sissoko a brutal force in midfield and a useful player. His passing game is terribly dissappointing though and I do feel Marchisio will be the better player of the two. I would play Marchisio even when Sissoko gets back simply because I've gotten totally sold on Claudio Marchisio's performances as of late. He combines tireless working with good feet.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
A brief pare3nthesis......sissoko...... he is a destroyer...but he lacks just too muchin the ofensive... no... in the basic passing department. Also, i have noticed that sissoko and molinaro also lack the good judgement to play. They oftenly commit too many mistakes and wrong choice of decitions in game.

To me, it doesnt matter if sissoko is as good as gatuso at defending...since when he recovers the ball, he just simply cant pass it to anyone...or simply do a stupid run which 95% of th time ends in him losing the ball. Players like him just makes the inevitable come a little later , which is an enemy goal. I prefer someone which is not stellar at defending but at least can judge well and pass the ball when needed.
And there is nor doubt that since he got injured, we are playing alot better and we dont look like a lot of amateurs doing nothing but long passes no nowehere.
Did you saw the last minutes of today´s game? we were passing the ball between thr oma players foer more than 5 or 6 passes!!! man that is just incredible if u think about how we were before.....and thats definitely is a good sign.

-----------------------
About the game.....
Very nice game from our players...they did what was needed to win....

My respects goto Iaquinta for showing that we can count on him and to make us know that we have a very good attacking line.
Pouls sen and melberg did an excellent job...and gigi, while he was an expectator sometimes...he also did very nice saves.
Probs to ranieri for not being a biatch early on and let the player play.

About del piero.... yes he did not score and he did some bad decitions... btu he laso got involved a lot in the game and he was playing also in the middle of the park to aid the team...he did a good job... not stellar but definitely not a bad one.

Gio played nice overall, providing a great assist and his usual slick passes. He did some bad decitions in the game.... more than his usual self.. but even with that, his game was above average in attack. IN the second half, his substitution was not bad, cuz he was not delivering anymore and the fight in the middle of the park was getting the best of him. Sadly we saw too little of him and nedved together... but good game by him overall.

Nedved came just when we needed him the most...someone to fight an already weakened roma midfield...and he did it. We were talking on the week about the future of nedved in the team and how to use him,....and definitely this is the way...using him as a super sub and not forcing the guy tho play every suingle game the whole 90 mins.

Iaquinta was a warrior, not much to say here... scfroed two goals... showed class and tenacity, and he fought the whole game....which is one of his trademark characteristics. Very very good for him.

About what vinmans aid about letting trez rot on the bench.... yeah is not the best of choices, but taking in consideration how IQ is playing and how he link together with the other attackers.... im totally with ranieri on giving trez some bench time...as we are playing very ncie without him.
Not that he is a bad striker...but he depends too much on the guys to make his job, and thats why i think he most of the time is not good overal.

Happy with the win....now lets cross finger for the impossible...see inter lose the match :D

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Injured

* 10. F. Totti
* 20. S. Perrotta
* 11. R. Taddei
* 77. M. Cassetti
* 8. A. Aquilani
* 4. J. Juan
* 3. J. Cicinho

Suspended

* 7. D. Pizarro
* 16. D. De Rossi
* 5. S. Diamoutene
* 23. M. Motta
while we have

# 13. A. Manninger
# 6. C. Zanetti
# 16. M. Camoranesi
# 14. J. Andrade
# 8. C. Amauri
# 33. N. Legrottaglie
# 22. M. Sissoko
# 19. C. Marchisio
# 29. P. De Ceglie
# 27. A. Ekdal
we have 10 injured while they have 11 injured or suspended not much difference.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I don't think any team has ever had such a full treatment table like Roma did today. It was inevitable they will crumble like this with 9-10 players out injured.
we have had 9-10 injured players whole season long. the difference between juventus and roma squads are that we are still theoretically in scudetto race while they probably would be near relegation zone if they had our consistent injury problems.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
About Giovinco, I also would have liked to play the entire 90 minutes, but when you come to think of it, Ranieri wasn't exactly wrong in substituting him. We were up 3-1 when Gio went out, also he didn't see much of the ball in the second half. Idiots like Loria and Mexes were intentially fouling our players and were getting away with it every time. I was actually very surprised Ale or Gio didn't get injured.

About Sissoko, Let's not too carried away here. I wouldn't really call Tiago or Poulsen expert passers of the ball. Granted, they are better at it than Momo but they lack the defensive qualities Sissoko has. We beat Bologna last week, and a Roma team comprising of a second rate midfield, I don't think the Poulsen-Tiago Duo is even close to European calibre, I think we stand a much better chance with Marchisio-Sissoko.

If players like Aquilani and De Rossi were playing against Poulsen and Tiago, their lives would have been much much more difficult. That isn't to take away from a very good performance by the both of them today. I never saw Tiago as a very skilled player, but he is an intelligent player in my opinion. Poulsen should see more of the ball, he gives a nice flow to the game with his passing, we desperately need someone like that cabale of initiating attacks and passing the ball around neatly.
But what about against Chelsea? I'm just posing a question to the forum and showing them the facts. It may appear that we don't necessarily need destroyers in midfield, but that has not been proven yet. You didn't really add anything that is common knowledge.

Jun 13, 2007
I'm very impressed with what we have accomplished so far. This is a team that has had nearly an entire starting 11 injured for the better part of the season. Regardless, we have managed to put up a more than decent fight.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Here is an Excel chart of goals for and goals against with the match days on the X-axis.

Four goals seem to be our limit.
Starting to put your financial chart analysis skills to good use, I see. :D

ye thats true i guess but we are also missing players like camo and sissoko and even amauri.

but we have a much superior squad.
Roma has a lot of injuries, and they've been plagued by that all season. But nothing that would explain the complete collapse and crumble we saw out there today.

When's the last honest time you've seen us take apart Roma 4-1 on their own turf?

We have our injuries too. But chalking up their performance problems to a handful of injuries, after having that same squad go through to the CL knockout rounds, suggests something beyond just the injuries du jour.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
When's the last honest time you've seen us take apart Roma 4-1 on their own turf?

We have our injuries too. But chalking up their performance problems to a handful of injuries, after having that same squad go through to the CL knockout rounds, suggests something beyond just the injuries du jour.
really it no excuse.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Great game this afternoon, Roma was depleted and I enjoyed the show. Can't wait to get Marchisio back into this lineup; I'd like to see Seba and Claudio play every game from here on out, provided they're fit. They've been excellent, and they're ready to start playing some pretty heavy minutes - it's time to accelerate this growth curve and experience is the key. With a couple top class additions in the mercato (and maybe Criscito as well), our team could make a huge jump in quality next season... and, of course, I still believe in the 08/09 Scudetto. 4 points back baby - C'mon Reggina!!!

Tremendous strike by Pavel; a perfect volley. If Ranieri would utilize this player in an appropriate manor, he could definitely be a good depth player next year; it's fantastic how much everyone loves him, and his experience is clearly invaluable to the youth. FORZA PAVEL. Say what you want about the injuries to their squad, but four goals in Rome sure feels damn nice.

Jun 13, 2007
But what about against Chelsea? I'm just posing a question to the forum and showing them the facts. It may appear that we don't necessarily need destroyers in midfield, but that has not been proven yet. You didn't really add anything that is common knowledge.
If you watch the Chelsea game again, you should realize that the only reason we coped well at all in the midfield was because of Hiddink's dubious tactics. Lampard and Ballack were out of place the entire game, they never went back to defend and thus gave a numerical advantage to Tiago-Marchisio.

That isn't the point anyway, I would hardly merit our recent victories to the central midfield only. You are forgetting that Giovinco has been a crucial factor, even Iaquinta has been very good. And believe it or not, Molinaro has drastically improved his game and that in my opinion, was one of the biggest factors if not the biggest in our recent performances.

I like the idea of playing without a destroyer because we become far more attractive and our football is more free-flowing and effective. If Poulsen can be both a destroyer and passer, then a Marchisio-Poulsen midfield is the way to go. But Poulsen is incredibly inconsistent unfortunately, while with Momo you know what to expect from him. He won't give you much in attack but you know for sure that he will get the job done defensively.

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
Starting to put your financial chart analysis skills to good use, I see. :D

Roma has a lot of injuries, and they've been plagued by that all season. But nothing that would explain the complete collapse and crumble we saw out there today.

You just had to ask :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)