[Serie A] Roma 1-3 JUVENTUS, August 30th 2009 (11 Viewers)

Man of the match

• Buffon

• Grygera

• De Ceglie

• Chiellini

• Cannavaro

• Marchisio

• Tiago

• Felipe Melo

• Amauri

• Diego

• Iaquinta

Results are only viewable after voting.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Great Win exactly what we need to push ourselves further. The performance was good but i think we can improve even more.

Just a few points, as basically everything i want to say has been said.

- Football is changing, its the brazilians that run the most these days. I know its still early but the fitness of our players isn't up to par. They were dead tired but the 75th minute. I hope its only due to the early stages of the season.

- DC, mixed bag for him but i expect better because we have seen better from him. I'm happy that Ciro is giving him a chance and sticking with him because he could potentially become a good player. He needs to work on some aspects of his game with the most important one being awareness and positioning. On a positive note he did well offensively as he linked well most of the time and delivered a couple of good crosses.

- Marchi, another mixed bag. Hopefully the injury is not bad and he gets back soon. His strongest point is the way he uses the short passes and movement. We have not seen that at all in the two games. We need him to be more box to box, because other than camo he is the only CM that could offer that quality. I am sure we will see better performances once he understands how the system and the players around play.

- Tiago, still improving but am still not entirely sold. He needs to be more positive, especially with his passing. Those qualities are missing from deep in the midfield and thats why hes there. Encouraging with the effort though.

iaq was invisible until he assisted Diego with that flick. Amauri was frustrated as Dom mentioned, and even though its not bad, i hope it doesn't get to his head. Diego is class and showed he doesn't mind dirtying his hands, while Melo proved he is simply crazy but what player!

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
My take on the game: well deserved victory (both sides had their chances but in the end we were the better team), pretty good game by us, definitely some improvement over the previous game.

Buffon - 6,5: reasonably quiet game, but was there when called upon (the 1 on 1 vs Totti).
Grygera - 6: did ok in defence, once again added nothing in attack.
Cannavaro - 6,5: another good game, albeit not as impressive as last week.
Chiellini - 6,5: formed a good partnership with Fabio, kept the Roma attackers as quiet as possible.
De Ceglie - 6: worryingly bad going forward, surprisingly ok in defence (excluding a few minor problems).
Tiago - 6: did his job but nothing more.
Melo - 7,5: would have been the MOM were it not for Diego. Dazzling amount of interceptions, composed play. He should think & act faster at some moments though. Oh, and did I mention he scored a goal?
Marchisio - 6: comparable to Tiago.
Diego - 8,5: drifted out of the game completely at some times but other than that he was on fire. 2 cool & composed finishes, good workrate. I like what I'm seeing so far.
Iaquinta - 6: quiet game, but was involved in 2 goals (small flick on the ball to mess with Roma's D & give Diego the advantage; smart running allowing Melo to move forward & shoot)
Amauri - 6: unlucky game but he did give the Roma backline a hard time.

Camoranesi - 6: ok, nothing special.
Legrottaglie - 6: some difficulties coming into the game but overall very few troubles.

Oh and ;)

That's 21 players called up, meaning 3 of them won't even make the bench.

I wonder which 2 players will join Chimenti in the stands. I think they might be Giovinco & Caceres.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
^ Welcome Deyan.

For those saying that we could be easily shut down because we have no full backs, that is true, but only for THIS formation IMO.

The beauty is that with only one substitution we can completely change our formation from 4-3-1-2 to 4-2-3-1, with Giovinco and Camo on the wings, Diego behind a lone striker and Melo and Sissoko in midfield, and that would probably fix the problem with the lack of width.
A very very good point. We do have the tools to outcome this situation.
But our latest coaches were so stubborn and coward who wouldnt risk such a thing. Ferrara does not afraid of his ideas and he does have real time interactivity with what is going on the field. His subs and intuitions were spot on and i trust that he will come up with this optimal/apparent solution, when this issue pops up!
But to deny that the guy has the talent to be better than Nedved is just stupidity. It's not about respecting legends, but just admitting the truth. Look at the way he plays.
More impressive than Nedved certainly, but better overall... (Neddy was a beast at defending, attacking, out-muscling, out-running, scoring from impossible distances, always fighting to the lest minute)
Well, hopefully Diego will be too, i wish him all the best.
Diego certainly has the potential and the will to win titles and do wonders with us!
This is very important for our cause, above all i wish him health and he will soon be:juventus:
I saw an interview of Melo on controcampo and he started crying and his voice was breaking, he said it was an extremely emotional time/game for him, and that God truly exists in his eyes. He said this as yesterday his grandmother died, and he knows she is in a better place, and he dedicated this game to her. He was really emotional.

Grande Melo :)
:touched: RIP to his grand mother...
Just two requests if possible before anything

1- Sometimes we should add Team-work and Ciro to the MoM thing.

2- For god's sake, when are we going to stop the comparisons?

Anyway, I'm happy with our performance tonight
Excellent suggestions, i agree!:agree:
- Football is changing, its the brazilians that run the most these days.

- DC, mixed bag for him but i expect better because we have seen better from him. I'm happy that Ciro is giving him a chance and sticking with him because he could potentially become a good player. He needs to work on some aspects of his game with the most important one being awareness and positioning. On a positive note he did well offensively as he linked well most of the time and delivered a couple of good crosses.

- Marchi, another mixed bag. Hopefully the injury is not bad and he gets back soon. His strongest point is the way he uses the short passes and movement. We have not seen that at all in the two games. We need him to be more box to box, because other than camo he is the only CM that could offer that quality. I am sure we will see better performances once he understands how the system and the players around play.

- Tiago, still improving but am still not entirely sold. He needs to be more positive, especially with his passing. Those qualities are missing from deep in the midfield and thats why hes there. Encouraging with the effort though.

iaq was invisible until he assisted Diego with that flick. Amauri was frustrated as Dom mentioned, and even though its not bad, i hope it doesn't get to his head. Diego is class and showed he doesn't mind dirtying his hands, while Melo proved he is simply crazy but what player!
-Brazilians always were top class, we were playing with a handicap without them!
That was the main point of criticism vs the old managers. I m really glad we have changed that and it has worked out pretty well!!

-I dont know whats wrong with DC, but i hope that he finds himself soon...

-Marchisio is a smart boy and has great tactical awareness and the skills to offer both offensively and defensively. I am confident he can still improve a lot and adapt to any midfield situation!
I have great expectations from him and i hope that his injury isnt anything serious!

-Tiago will hopefully find the spark, the will and the ambition to fight!

-And such a great flick it was, both impressive, efficient and crucial!
His fighting spirit is what kept him on, he was a constant threat, so was Amauri and the forced Roma to spread out and let some more space to Diego,
a lethal mistake...
However for that reasons our attacking hounds were very important tactically,
despite the lack of finishing. I cant wait for the days Ciro will start bringing Treze back to the team and create the conditions for him to start scoring again.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Diego is unfucking-believable !!!

He showed up the strikers today, who didnt do enough to put their names on the scoresheet....but a win is a win

Besides a few chances that Roma had, along with a brainfart on our end that led to the De Rossi goal, I thought we played pretty well

The worrying point on this team is the fullback positions, which we can talk about until we are blue in the face.....Grygera and DC arent good enough to be starters, plain and simple

We have about 24 hours left to sign Grosso and/or Rafinha, and I suggest that the gerbel in charge of signings better get to work RIGHT NOW....our season depends on it !!!
I love it how you didn't mention Melo. I know how you will sound when he makes the first mistake, something along money, fullbacks, and insults towards Secco.

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
Great result, this looks very promising for the future, especially since the transfers we did scored, that is always nice, really gives them confidence for the next matches.

zizoufan

Z.Z T h e M a s t e r
May 25, 2004
I saw just 15 min of the game and I saw the melo's goal. Fantastic player.
I'm decided to buy the dream box. This juve side is worth to watch

Jun 13, 2007
First, the negatives.

-) I was complaining about this before the season even started and I fear it will continue to haunt us for the rest of the season if we don't do something quick. Our fullbacks are simply not up to standard, they are our weak links and we cannot afford to have them on this Juve team. De Ceglie may still improve but is not ready at the moment, while Gryegra is just well, Grygera.

Positives.

1) Our midfield is superb thanks to Felipe Melo. This guy is worth not only 20 M, but 40 M if he can continue to put in performances like that. He was all over the pitch and absolutely dominated the midfield. And that explosive run in the dying minutes before he scored n.3 just demonstrates the tremendous versatility this player possesses. Just thinking of the partnership he could form with a fit Sissoko is mouthwatering.

2) Diego is the spark this team has needed for so long. His irresistable talent is an asset to us already, and his presence really does give us a shot at winning some silverware this season. His first goal was sublime, I don't think we have had a player that was able to run at defenders like that so easilly and then masterfully finish it off with a beautifully placed goal. I don't want to compare him to anyone as he is a very unique legend in the making.

3) Our defense looks much stronger with the presence of Fabio. He's putting in stellar performances lately. If only we could strengthen our fullback positions, our defense could be one of the best in Europe.

4) We finally have a team that plays attractive football. If we go back to the Capello era, I don't think any single one of us would have expected an attractive Juventus team three years later. We play one touch football, we have creative players that can move the ball around well, dribble past players, and hold possession nicely. I certainly didn't expect such a dramatic transformation from the lethargic, mundane, boring side we had during the Capello era to this exciting, innovative, and fresh Juventus side we have now. But that's just the beauty of it, serie B as bitter as it was, truly was a blessing in disguise it seems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)