[Serie A] JUVENTUS 4-0 Udinese (January 19, 2013) (17 Viewers)

MoM

• Caceres

• Pogba

• Vucinic

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Plenty of good things, with a mix of the usual failings.

Juve played at a good tempo in the first half and kept the pitch nice and big with the wingbacks playing really high up and Giaccherini moving very well.

That allowed Juve to get into any number of dangerous situations, but the decision making and/or final ball was consistently poor when in good positions. It should also be said that the forwards did not make a good job of getting into goal-scoring positions when Juve created dangerous situations.

For all Juve's dominance, it was hard to see where the goal was going to come from. A special goal like that really shouldn't be needed to get the break-through in a game you are dominating to that extent.

Then Juve still managed to give Udinese a chance to get back into the game in the second half. Despite Juve having the lead, they left the wingbacks really high up the pitch. That - combined with Pogba getting out of position - allowed Udinese a four on three attack, which should never happen, and certainly not when you are ahead.

Thought Udinese's tactics were a bit odd. It looked like they (not unreasonably) thought Juve could be vulnerable and wanted to get their midfield pressing quite high up. However, they didn't have the balls to get their defence to follow the midfield up the pitch in order to really squeeze the game, so Juve were consistently able to find space between the Udinese defence and midfield.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally the team woke up, the intensity they started the match with was exactly what we missed in our games in 2013. Had we played with this approach we wouldn't have dropped points. Our attack was as usual terrible at the beginning until Pogba sent terror and knocked them down with two world class shots. Superb! I have nothing more to say. The forwards did then their job to destroy and bag the game.

I am extremely happy, I love you all.

Buffon 6.5

Barzagli 7
Bonucci 6.5
Caceres 7

Lichtsteiner 7
Vidal 6
Pogba 8.5
Giaccherini 6
De Ceglie 6.5

Govinco 6.5
Vucinic 7.5

Matri 7
Padoin N.R
Isla N.R
Think you're maybe a little generous on the defenders' ratings.

That's not to say they weren't alright - just don't think Udinese worked them enough to justify ratings that high.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dadi-SK

Jan 30, 2011
Plenty of good things, with a mix of the usual failings.

Juve played at a good tempo in the first half and kept the pitch nice and big with the wingbacks playing really high up and Giaccherini moving very well.

That allowed Juve to get into any number of dangerous situations, but the decision making and/or final ball was consistently poor when in good positions. It should also be said that the forwards did not make a good job of getting into goal-scoring positions when Juve created dangerous situations.

For all Juve's dominance, it was hard to see where the goal was going to come from. A special goal like that really shouldn't be needed to get the break-through in a game you are dominating to that extent.

Then Juve still managed to give Udinese a chance to get back into the game in the second half. Despite Juve having the lead, they left the wingbacks really high up the pitch. That - combined with Pogba getting out of position - allowed Udinese a four on three attack, which should never happen, and certainly not when you are ahead.

Thought Udinese's tactics were a bit odd. It looked like they (not unreasonably) thought Juve could be vulnerable and wanted to get their midfield pressing quite high up. However, they didn't have the balls to get their defence to follow the midfield up the pitch in order to really squeeze the game, so Juve were consistently able to find space between the Udinese defence and midfield.

- - - Updated - - -

Think you're maybe a little generous on the defenders' ratings.

That's not to say they weren't alright - just don't think Udinese worked them enough to justify ratings that high.
Perfectly wrapped up. Such a pleasure to read your posts.

GrandeGigi

Sep 18, 2012
Sadly no love for Giaccherini on here, thought he actually had a good game. Yes, he had plenty of open space to consistently run into and his decision making isn't great in the final third, but he had one of his better days and I was glad to see him get a start ahead of Padoin.

Dadi-SK

Jan 30, 2011
Sadly no love for Giaccherini on here, thought he actually had a good game. Yes, he had plenty of open space to consistently run into and his decision making isn't great in the final third, but he had one of his better days and I was glad to see him get a start ahead of Padoin.
True.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I praised him in my post. :stuckup:

Alessandro

Sep 13, 2002
We just tried to spread our lead.
You can't criticize that.
Or we have to park the bus after 1-0? No way!

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
It is possible to take a balanced approach to these things.

Just keep an extra player (a midfielder of a wingback) behind the ball compared to what you would do when at 0-0.

There's no need to go chasing things and taking risks once your ahead.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
There are, of course, times to press on and try to finish the game, but you don't go gung-ho and leave yourself open to conceding on the break once you are ahead.

In general, it's better to pull things back a little, be more cautious and wait for the opportunities to come, rather than trying to force things.

Would it really be terribly defensive if Juve only pushed one wingback st a time high up when ahead? Or if they want they wingbacks to stay high, get Vidal to sit a little deeper rather than have him making runs ahead of the ball?

Alessandro

Sep 13, 2002
It wasn't any terrible. You mention just some rare situations from a 90-mins long game.
But once a time our guys let Udine to go forward... oh hell.
Mistakes are always done. It's a matter of how good you resolve this situations. And our defense has done it very good.
Prise them, not blame.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
It wasn't any terrible. You mention just some rare situations from a 90-mins long game.
But once a time our guys let Udine to go forward... oh hell.
Mistakes are always done. It's a matter of how good you resolve this situations. And our defense has done it very good.
Prise them, not blame.
Individual errors are going to happen, but these are tactical issues that come up again and again because Juve take more risks than they need to when ahead.

The opposition is going to attack, but that doesn't mean you have to let them out-number you like happened today.

I don't doubt the Juve players, for the most part, are doing what Conte asks of them.

Conte is just more willing to leave a game open when winning than I would be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)