[SERIE A] Fiorentina - Juventus (31st August, 2008) (21 Viewers)

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
I have to say Gilardino was quite good this game

We really need to inforce the defence and midfield (its not something we didnt know but still...)

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
one thing the team must do is Give Marchisio The Ball...it pisses me off that they don't entrust him with the ball cos most times he does give an intelligent pass!

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Giovinco was the ideal substitution for this game and I cant bealieve that Ranieri didnt saw that.

I know this is the first game of the season, and I dont want to sound alarmist, but if this is what Ranieri plans with Giovinco, I will not blame him for ask a loan/sell in January
Giovinco should play but I knew Ranieri would not "risk" him in such a match.

Ranieri and good with youngsters in the same sentence is quite the joke in my view. Piss poor.

Brixity

Feb 8, 2006
I'm real fukin frustrated nw,not by the result as much as our attacking performance. We just dont attack in numbers enough. Amauri or DP is always alone when they get balls upfront. One problem i think existed was that though Poulsen and Marchisio are decent, they dont mow up and down th pitch enough to help upfront. I think Momo's energy was realy missed in midfield. Mellberg got turned like bitch, more than once to. We miss u Giorgio

Jul 29, 2008
Gilardino isn't Del Piero, or Pato, or Rocchi with the ball at his feet. With back towards goal, the defender needs to block that shot with a tackle but Mellberg isn't quick enough.

Welcome to Serie A I suppose.
Agreed... If Chiellini was on his place he will kick the ball out with Gilla's corpse on it... Just imagine so close to net and he let Gillardino recieve ball:(

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
I dont think there were any really great performances tonight as the 2nd half cancelled out the positives of the first half

Buffon - 6 - Anticipated a few tricky situations really well but he was stranded for the gila shot and it was not really his fault, he was unlucky tonight but did o.k

Molinaro - 5.5 - He looked ok in the first half but he was bad in the 2nd half, having said that he should not have been the first player to come off the field

Mellberg - 4.5 - He was bad today, and I actually rate him quite highly but he looked poor all around. He was partly to blame for the gila goal but it was a fantastic move by gila so maybe he didnt expect the turn. We need more from him

Legro - 5.5 - Had a very good 1st half and kept gila quiet but shrunk after the break and he was in quite a bit of trouble

Grygera - 5.5 - A great assist saved his bacon but defensively he was poor and this is a regular thing, constantly dragged out of position.

Camo - 7 - He was the most lively of our players and the only explination for removing him would be a knock. Did well but sometimes lacked end product, ran his heart out all game though.

Marchisio - 6 - He did o.k and passed the ball around quite well, his tacking was a bit disapointing but not a bad performance

Poulsen - 6.5 - Did well and impressed me. Ran around and closed the opponents down, also looks quite good on the ball and played some nice passes. A good serie a debut

Nedved - 6 - Not one of his best games despite a goal. He looked absolutely spent in the 2nd half and couldnt move with the ball, it was completely obvious he needed to be subbed so we cant really blame him, if he has breath in his lungs he will always run, today he didnt

Del Piero - 5 - Unusual performance, his sitter in the first half couldnt have been in a better position for him, he scored from that angle for fun. Didnt really do an awful lot and didn't like up well with amauri

Amauri - 5 - I though he was quite poor as well, although his aerial service wasnt great he was too static on the ball too often, a nice shot in the 90th minute showed he can be dangerous but it wasn't his night tonight.

Subs:
De Ceglie - 5 - Didn't really make an impact.
Iaquinta - N/A - How do you expect a striker to get into a game if he is brought on in the 85th minute??

Ranieri - 3

His initial stratergy seemed to work but our coach constantly sahows us his short comings when the opposition changes things to test us. He didnt react to the fiorentina domination of the 2nd half at all and made all the wrong decisions. Del Piero and Nedved were completely dead from 60mins onwards, we needed iaquinta and Giovinco then to give us some extra energy, but the changes never came. When they went down to 10 men we looked even worse. His 2nd half decisions were poor as usual and his substitutions are constantly stupid, also there are 3 changes allowed, if the team is struggling USE THEM!!!!

Marceℓℓo

Mar 16, 2007
Looking at the bright side:

-we are on par with the other Scudetto contenders(Roma,Inter) even though we had the strongest opponent and we are above Milan.

-a draw away to Fiorentina isn't a shame at all considering we missed Chiellini,our best defender by miles.Of course it was unlucky considering Felipe Melo got sent off and we conceded the goal so late but at the end of the day we do not get any more points if we draw luckily.I'm sure almost everybody would be quite happy if we equalized in the last minute.It would still be just 1 point though...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I fully agree! Sums up nearly everything. I just think, that with Chiellini in there we wouldn't talk about buying a class partner for him. Legro played a good game and with Chiellini next to him, he would have been even better I guess.

I am just sad, when I think about what Chiellini would have done with Gilardino...... :(
But we can't be a top class team with only Chiellini at the back. We just cannot. RB, LB and CB are still all a worry.

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #471
    First match, first blame is placed on Ranieri for the loss of two points. The match was in our grasps and we could have won provided that the right substitutions were made, but like usual, they were not made. While I cannot stand Molinaro on our left flank, subbing this player at 70 minutes is not a logical thing to do. He's a player that can run, one who doesn't get tired, so subbing him instead of Nedved or Del Piero is just simply foolish. Iaquinta for Camoranesi is a very strange and bold thing to do while leading 1-0 at 80 minutes, and it turned out to be a mistake as we needed another player in midfield and someone who could hold the ball to take time off the clock. That was the move. But Ranieri, in his typical foolishness from last season, didn't see the obvious problem out there. Which is why people such as myself doubt him as a manager. And rightfully so.

I saw promising football in the first half, but as I said during halftime, we would not be able to keep our offensive movement going for the whole second half. That's why we needed subs about 60 minutes in. Viola had more and more of the ball, and our fullbacks were not doing the best of jobs closing down flank players, especially when Jovetic came in. What should have been done was either Nedved or Alex subbed 60 minutes in and brought on Salihamidzic and Giovinco, a weighted couple of switches that would cause Viola problems and Hasan would have added the grit to secure hopefully secure the win.

When people have concerns about the defense, they should not be taken lightly or joked around with. The concerns from people such as myself are our opinions; they are facets of our club which we could have protected against. Signing a classy partner for Chiellini and upgrade to Molinaro were important matters over the summer, yet we did not address them and we are already feeling the effects of it even in the first match. Mellberg was completely and utterly owned by Gilardino. I'm willing to give him more chances though, but he needs to change my overall opinion on him. Same with other individuals.

The result was not poor per se, but we really should have won the match. The best football clubs secure and win those matches, not dropping points, especially in a situation such as this. We need to do a better job winning matches we should win, closing out results and not dropping points if we want to challenge for top honors. We are capable of better than this today, so we need to improve quickly.

Buffon - Made some good saves multiple times, like usual. 7

Grygera - Slotted the cross home for Nedved's goal but at the back he's too much of a liability. Zebina makes less errors than him without a doubt. 5

Mellberg - Made a few big errors, especially against Gilardino, so he needs to shape up quickly. While he did make a few good tackles/headers, more performances such as this will make it apparent why nobody from the top Prem teams wanted him. 5

Legrottaglie - Did not made that many mistakes at the back and was good in the first half. 6

Molinaro - Comedy as usual but didn't commit any fatal mistakes like he did in some friendlies. 5.5

Camoranesi - Very active, full of running, switching positions, which is what I like to see from this player. But he didn't have the best of matches. 6

Marchisio - Solid in the midfield and impressive. I think he needs to get more involved with the attack, however, and improve his passing. 6

Poulsen - Very solid in midfield and even played some good balls to various players. 7

Nedved - Good goal and good running like usual, but he needed a sub. 6.5

Amauri - Beast of a player, but sometimes I think he tries too hard to score. I hope he can put the ball in the net soon so he isn't labeled as a flop by the retarded Italian media. 6.5

Del Piero - Wasn't himself today. Should have scored the breakaway. Looked unfit after halftime. I hope he hasn't lost his spark from last season because it was crucial to our game. 5.5

De Ceglie - Didn't really impress when he came on but that would have been hard to do at that point in the game. Start him over Molinaro next match without a doubt, please. 5.5

Iaquinta - Didn't do much. 5

Ranieri - The Substitution dilemma is once again our problem. It's almost as if he never learns. Wrong substitutions is the reason why we lost 2 points, and that is the fault of Ranieri whether people like it or not. 3.5
    Good report :beer:

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    It was a good game, marred by yet another miss for a result against Fiorentina. You'd think after blowing leads in both matches last year, and with Fiorentina a man down, we would have found a way to break this terrible habit. But on the good side, points away at the Viola is not a bad thing.

Fiorentina had a lot of the possession but threatened little with it. Juve made the most of the possession, but too often would hog the ball when being double-teamed and turn it over.

Sure, the Viola had just a little luck in the end. But we should have made sure this match was out of reach by the time it got to that. In all, a decent start for a new Juventus.

But this new-look Fiorentina? If not for Prandelli, I really have to question whether they're going to qualify for European play next year. I'm not very confident in that bunch I saw out there.

Buffon - 6 - Not bad, but not tested all that much.

Grygera - 6 - Great cross for the goal. And some great heads-up play to anticipate the ball and position and time himself well today. But that awful whiff on that cross early in the second half was beyond comical. And he got into some sloppy fouls.

Legro - 7 - Rock solid and, IMO, our man of the match. Gilardino was shut down when Legro was marking him. Gila may have had the ball here and there, but Legro ensured he never got a decent look. No surprise that Gila scored when he was marked by Mellberg.

Mellberg - 5 - I am going to start calling this guy "Bigfoot". Partially because he looks the part. Partially because the guy has huge feet. But also partially because on a few plays he was as clumsy as Molinaro playing Frankenstein in a school play. Flubbed a key header exposing us, flubbed some other plays. He was probably the one player that made me the most nervous in this match.

Molinaro - 5.5 - His first half was actually pretty solid. He blocked some key crosses and played pretty well defensively. Added little offensively, but with him I'll take that. Did put too much on his throw-ins up the pitch, though. Second half he was shakier. He made an errant pass to midfield that almost cost us earlier on. Wheels started to come off in the second half, so his sub was a good choice.

Nedved - 6 - Good sense of place for the goal. But otherwise, it was a relatively unmentionable match for him. And even less so as the clock wore on with those old legs.

Poulsen - 6 - Mostly did well. A little clumsy on some plays where he had to come back and play defender. But got the job done.

Marchisio - 6 - Pretty solid game. A couple of nice defensive plays, few mistakes, and some decent ball distribution.

Camoranesi - 6 - Showed great individual skills in one-on-one situations, but did little productive with that. His crosses were just OK. For all he was getting done at his feet, little of it translated to team success.

Del Piero - 5.5 - A clever flick here and there. But too often got caught double-teamed in traffic without passing off the ball, causing a turnover. Also missed a grand opportunity in front of Frey that could have opened up this match in the first half.

Amauri - 6 - Generally good ball movement and pace. But didn't get, nor create, too many good looks at goal.

Subs:

De Ceglie - 5.5 - Looking at his crosses today, I thought Molinaro was still out there.

Iaquinta - NR - Barely on. Does Ranieri know he gets up to three subs? :confused2

Coach:

Ranieri - 4.5 - Worst man on our pitch/bench today. Failed to make effective use of our subs. Let his team choke down for a third straight time to Fiorentina with a lead. He is not learning anything.

Jul 29, 2008
    Seriosuly, where is the cloning factory ? You sound just like other members here who have no idea what are they talking about.

Who said that you gave DP the highest rating ?
    Your words : "you give him higher rating than he deserves"... I gave him lowest rating i can.. "no good" he get with Mellberg.. w

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    Actually, i'm not worried about Del Piero's bad performance. Ever since he started playing football he was a slow starter.
    I'm sure he'll be the good old come November. I'm not sure if he'll repeat last year's performance but i'm sure he'll be great for us after September/October.

Sep 1, 2002
    A good enough game to start the season with: any result tonight was going to be a good one.

I actually feel more optimistic after this game, let's not forget well be more potant when Trez returns, not to mention The Sisco kid.

Poulson is a good player who brings a lot to the team.
    Nedved can still trouble the best.
    Melberg will (he is intelligent) come to terms with Serie A.
    And the youngsters have a large role to play.

Stop whinging on about who we should have bought you lilly livered bunch of faint hearts.

Forza Juve!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)