[Serie A] Fiorentina 4-2 JUVENTUS (October 20, 2013) (3 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Well, I thought Juve did precious little wrong in the first hour of that game - could only really criticise them for not getting the third goal at the start of the second half when they had the chance.

Everything was going smoothly, everyone was playing reasonably well and Fiorentina didn't look remotely capable of hurting Juve.

Even to the point Fiorentina got level I felt Juve had done little wrong. The first goal came from the break of the ball on the edge of the box and the second from a speculative shot that deviated awkwardly at the last moment.

But then Juve went to pieces.

There just doesn't seem to be the resilience to deal with adversity that there has been from them in the last couple of seasons. Instead they just seem terribly fragile.

Some of this will have come from Juve conceding some pretty unfortunate goals so far this season, but they need to figure out a way to re-find their belief that they can keep clean sheets and contain opponents.

Not that one can really suggest solutions to these sort of mental issues when looking at things from the outside.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
Well, I thought Juve did precious little wrong in the first hour of that game - could only really criticise them for not getting the third goal at the start of the second half when they had the chance.

Everything was going smoothly, everyone was playing reasonably well and Fiorentina didn't look remotely capable of hurting Juve.

Even to the point Fiorentina got level I felt Juve had done little wrong. The first goal came from the break of the ball on the edge of the box and the second from a speculative shot that deviated awkwardly at the last moment.

But then Juve went to pieces.

There just doesn't seem to be the resilience to deal with adversity that there has been from them in the last couple of seasons. Instead they just seem terribly fragile.

Some of this will have come from Juve conceding some pretty unfortunate goals so far this season, but they need to figure out a way to re-find their belief that they can keep clean sheets and contain opponents.

Not that one can really suggest solutions to these sort of mental issues when looking at things from the outside.
I disagree with the resilience part Red, we've had to fight back in so many matches this year...that shows strength and character.

Though it probably takes its toll mentally, and very hard to do in a big derby like this game.

juventus4life

Apr 21, 2012
Montella, I've held the view since he became the caretaker of Roma that he had the goods. He proved it in the capital, he proved it subsequently at Catania and now at Fiorentina; he's the most gifted coach in Italy, not Conte. Conte is good, very good in fact; but, like our entire team, he too has grown complacent with success.

Btw, I'm so pissed we didn't buy Rossi last year, ffs, he's going to do a Quag (in that he'll become a better player post injury/op), but just 10 times better (and more gifted) than Quag.
I say that as a Quag fanboy too... Ugh!
I think Montella was lucky to get out of Conte's trap thanks to Rossi's brillance and our sloppiness.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I disagree with the resilience part Red, we've had to fight back in so many matches this year...that shows strength and character.

Though it probably takes its toll mentally, and very hard to do in a big derby like this game.
Our defense. We need to start there, especially if he is so bent on sticking with the 352.

Tevez needs to step up. He isn't exactly lighting the league on fire either.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006

Defensive resilience.

Goals are just happening so easily again and again.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
the rot starts right at the back IMO, Buffon has lost it these days.
:agree:

We are scoring goals. Our offense and mids are doing their jobs. Now its up to the defense to stop the massacre.

Man how its flip-flopped this year. Last year(s) our defense was world class now we lost the plot.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
This heavy loss needed to happen guys. It was a reality check and wake up call for the team. Conte really doesn't have to say much after this loss as I'm sure the team is probably pretty pissed off at themselves.

Fear not men, stop acting like pansies. We will be fine. Get our team back to full health and all will be well.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
Kind of ironic that for 2 seasons we had a super defence and shite forward line.

Then this summer we finally buy good forwards and our defence turns into chaos.

DIECI

Jul 12, 2011
we'll be fine guys, relax! Winning 3 straight scudetti is not easy, we're the hunted and everyone is bringing their A game vs us. We can't have any let downs, EVER, but inevitably they will happen. We are still close to Roma who are out of their minds, but will come down to earth soon. We haven't played them yet so we have 6 points we could gain vs them. The CL is a long shot, even if we beat Real and get out of the group so maybe getting sent to the Europa League could be a blessing to get our guys more european experience for next year. Yesterday was horrible but they will bounce back! I believe in Conte, I think he's the best coach in Italy and a top coach in Europe! He will get this fixed.
Forza Juve!

gagych

Mar 23, 2009
we'll be fine guys, relax! Winning 3 straight scudetti is not easy, we're the hunted and everyone is bringing their A game vs us. We can't have any let downs, EVER, but inevitably they will happen. We are still close to Roma who are out of their minds, but will come down to earth soon. We haven't played them yet so we have 6 points we could gain vs them. The CL is a long shot, even if we beat Real and get out of the group so maybe getting sent to the Europa League could be a blessing to get our guys more european experience for next year. Yesterday was horrible but they will bounce back! I believe in Conte, I think he's the best coach in Italy and a top coach in Europe! He will get this fixed.
Forza Juve!
:tup::scarf:

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013
Forza Juve!
Get out of here.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Yep, the trouble is defense. While I would want to credit the squad for pushing forward for a go-ahead or equalizer goal, we fell apart because we seemed to commit too much too soon, leaving us exposed to 3-on-2 and 4-on-3 situations in a heartbeat. That much was sloppy and it cost us the match.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Yep, the trouble is defense. While I would want to credit the squad for pushing forward for a go-ahead or equalizer goal, we fell apart because we seemed to commit too much too soon, leaving us exposed to 3-on-2 and 4-on-3 situations in a heartbeat. That much was sloppy and it cost us the match.
We've done that in other games recently as well, sometimes with incredible stupidity so we are left with 2 defenders against 3 attackers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)