Serie A 2019/20 (64 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juventino2019

May 1, 2019
Gazzetta reporting Serie A will be suspended tomorrow until 4/3, which means the cancelation of the 2019/2020 season. As for EL/CL games, they'll be played without crowds. There's a small chance they'll be played outside of Italy with crowds. Malta was brought up as an option... but Malta have instructed all persons arriving from Northern Italy to go into quarantine.... So Yeah... Nah.

At best, we have 6 more Juventus games to see this season. Maybe around May-June there'll be a playoff or something between Juventus-Lazio-inter-Atalanta for the Serie A title?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Juventino2019

May 1, 2019
What impact would canceling Serie A games altogether have on spreading the virus ?
Playing behind closed doors obviously makes sense, but canceling...
Players association are threatening to go on a strike. They believe it's a matter of time until a player or a staff member catch the virus and they're afraid for their families. The minister of sports is backing them.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
I'm not sure I agree with that. Games without fans need to be avoided at all costs imo.
Even if the cost is canceling it altogether? I don’t see the sporting justification for it. The only reason seems to be safety of the players and the ones around them but I don’t think healthy athletes and their loved ones are in much risk.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Even if the cost is canceling it altogether? I don’t see the sporting justification for it. The only reason seems to be safety of the players and the ones around them but I don’t think healthy athletes and their loved ones are in much risk.
The only problem I have is for normal people, if someone ends up sick, he just doesn't show up to work and that company will still go on with its business, terminating everything would be suicide.

But somehow we cancel everything for footballers. Double standards

Jun 6, 2015
Gazzetta reporting Serie A will be suspended tomorrow until 4/3, which means the cancelation of the 2019/2020 season. As for EL/CL games, they'll be played without crowds. There's a small chance they'll be played outside of Italy with crowds. Malta was brought up as an option... but Malta have instructed all persons arriving from Northern Italy to go into quarantine.... So Yeah... Nah.

At best, we have 6 more Juventus games to see this season. Maybe around May-June there'll be a playoff or something between Juventus-Lazio-inter-Atalanta for the Serie A title?
Fuck Inda. There should just be a championship game between Juve and Lazio for the title, or a two-legged tie if crowds are allowed at that point.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Personally, I'd rather suspend/wait it out & then come up with some sort of alternative later on. I understand a closed doors policy as some form of punishment for a specific club (for example because of crowd trouble), but removing fans as a general rule just doesn't sit well with me. Then what is the point of playing games? Besides money?

Also, I don't know what to make of the entire situation, nor can I judge whether or not the measures that are currently being taken in Italy are exaggerated or not. But it makes no sense whatsoever to put entire regions in quarantine, close schools, theaters, events, etc on the one hand & then continue playing football games on the other hand. You're basically going to put life on hold for a while, but football can't wait? That's just ridiculous.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Also, I don't know what to make of the entire situation, nor can I judge whether or not the measures that are currently being taken in Italy are exaggerated or not. But it makes no sense whatsoever to put entire regions in quarantine, close schools, theaters, events, etc on the one hand & then continue playing football games on the other hand. You're basically going to put life on hold for a while, but football can't wait? That's just ridiculous.
I would agree with that. Except what do normal workers do in Italy in those regions at the moment? I'm genuinely asking because I don't know.

Schools is understandable since it's a gathering of lots of people, but closed doors football matches groups maybe 60 people? These people are being controlled and tested I imagine, as opposed to random people gathering, it's much safer.

If it's deemed unsafe or if someone contracts the virus then that's good measures to take otherwise that feels like footballer getting pampered while the rest of normal workers not

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
I would agree with that. Except what do normal workers do in Italy in those regions at the moment? I'm genuinely asking because I don't know.

Schools is understandable since it's a gathering of lots of people, but closed doors football matches groups maybe 60 people? These people are being controlled and tested I imagine, as opposed to random people gathering, it's much safer.

If it's deemed unsafe or if someone contracts the virus then that's good measures to take otherwise that feels like footballer getting pampered while the rest of normal workers not
I don't know either.
I would assume they stay home, as that would be the point of a quarantine, but that's obviously not possible for everyone. I mean, what would be the point of doctors, nurses, etc not showing up to work. :D

From what I gather it's mostly about people not being allowed to leave these specific regions. Though I don't see how you could possibly enforce this.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Personally, I'd rather suspend/wait it out & then come up with some sort of alternative later on. I understand a closed doors policy as some form of punishment for a specific club (for example because of crowd trouble), but removing fans as a general rule just doesn't sit well with me. Then what is the point of playing games? Besides money?

Have you looked at football calendar? No it can’t wait. There are Euros and Olympics on the horizon. Calendar is so packed that you cannot delay it for more than 1-2 weeks.
I don’t like the closed door matches, but what you’re suggesting is impossible, and is not a real solution.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
Fuck Inda. There should just be a championship game between Juve and Lazio for the title, or a two-legged tie if crowds are allowed at that point.
Why?
It should be one game played in our stadium and Lazio have to win it. We win or draw and we should take it. We have one point more and we play them in our stadium later next month.
Why are they deserving a 2 legged tie breaker?

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Why cancel Serie A? thats dumb, just keep playing behind closed doors.

Are we going to drop out of CL too? pretty sure we wont do well playing only every couple weeks there

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Have you looked at football calendar? No it can’t wait. There are Euros and Olympics on the horizon. Calendar is so packed that you cannot delay it for more than 1-2 weeks.
I don’t like the closed door matches, but what you’re suggesting is impossible, and is not a real solution.
Meh, there's a difference between can't & don't want.

Cancel Coppa Italia for the season & you immediately free up 2 dates. Forget about spreading games over different days for a while, but play all games at the same time & you can easily fit more games into the same timeframe.

But we'll see what happens tomorrow. If I had to take a guess, then I'd say the league is going to be on hold starting from tomorrow. And I wonder what kind of solution, if any, they're going to come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 62)