Second Life (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2007
My professor just announced that we will be required to join this thing called Second Life for class. For the rest of this year, I will be required to have a Second Life since we will be studying the affects of the Internet and gaming and how it relates to advertising. What exactly is Second Life? I know it is a video game and I have looked at the site. I am just curious to see what I am getting into. I have heard it is very addictive. Does anyone have a Second Life? What do you guys think about it?

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Sarah
Sep 26, 2007
  • Thread Starter #5
    All I know about it is that its a virtual life and that it's open source.

I guess a good starting point to understand it is of course the wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Life
    I don't even know what open source is so I am really in for it.
    I looked at the wikipedia but I could not even begin to read that whole thing. It is too overwhelming.

Looks like The Sims. I'd kill myself if I was given this assignment.
    Thanks. I am really looking forward to it now. My assignment currently is to get my life formed on there. I won't have to really start writing papers and stuff until January. Thankfully.

Serves me right for taking a 'first of its kind' course

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    I don't even know what open source is so I am really in for it.
    I looked at the wikipedia but I could not even begin to read that whole thing. It is too overwhelming.

Well open source is basically the opposite of most programs you are probably using (Windows, Office, Real Player...etc). The difference is that open source is that its free. As in "Freedom of Speech", in other words one can see how the program is written and has the freedom of changing it as he sees fit. Also, most open source programs are also free in the sense of "free beer", meaning there is no price tag on it.

Of course this is opposite to the propriety programs like Microsoft Office where you can't see how the program is written and cannot change ANYTHING in it to suit your needs.

A popular Open Source program that you are probably familiar with is the web browser "Firefox"

Ya I know its overwhelming (maybe not as much as the stuff I wrote up there ^^:p), but you could always skim and scan and see the relevant parts to your project.

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    I've heard about it, though it's kind of sad that people actually play this even if it's not given as an assignement

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    My professor just announced that we will be required to join this thing called Second Life for class. For the rest of this year, I will be required to have a Second Life since we will be studying the affects of the Internet and gaming and how it relates to advertising. What exactly is Second Life? I know it is a video game and I have looked at the site. I am just curious to see what I am getting into. I have heard it is very addictive. Does anyone have a Second Life? What do you guys think about it?
    Yes, I read a feature article about it last year in INC. It isn't a traditional "video game". It's like real life but on the computer. You can loose real money, talk to "real" people, set up real business, everything you do in the real world. Only it's on the computer. I've read about people losing their whole lives and not to mention fortunes to this thing so be careful.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    Ok,donnanocerino this is for you.I`ve found this review so i hope it helps a bit.

Of all the virtual worlds we visited, Second Life is the one we want to come back to the most. The people are friendly, and the environment is stunning—and we were able to help build it.

When you first join, you are taken to Prelude Island to acquire basic skills. The tutorial process is relatively lengthy; it took us 20 minutes to get to the mainland, but we needed that time to get comfortable with the relatively complex controls.

In Second Life, your avatar is completely customizable, with myriad variations of skin tone, eye color, hair type, clothing, shoes, and so on. And you can make changes to the world itself: You can purchase some land and build a house. Building in Second Life relies on a series of menu-based scripts that take some time to master. Although commands will be familiar to anyone who has used a basic design or graphics program, they aren't quite point-and-click.

After finishing your time at Prelude Island, you are transported to a standard starting area. Here you can check which of your buddies are online and move through the world by walking, teleporting, or flying. The last is definitely the most fun.

Although you can create weapons and do battle in special areas of Second Life, that is not a major draw. The game is designed for a more sophisticated virtual citizen, one who would be more interested in building a 3-D replica of the Eiffel Tower than in blowing away other denizens.

trailer:

And here`s some video of it :

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)