[SCO] Scottish Premier league 2010/2011 (3 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
They need to punish the clubs and as severely as they can, maybe a whole season behind closed doors?
Why should the clubs be punished so severely?

They should do more, but the problem lies in Scottish/Irish culture and not enough has been done to address that.

Things won't change until bigger things are done, such as doing something about what is basically a segregated education system in parts of Scotland.

I mean it maybe worse now than it has been in the past, but sectarian chanting and violence has existed in scotland for a long time.
Worse than in the past?

Buy on AliExpress.com
Sep 1, 2002

They should do more, but the problem lies in Scottish/Irish culture and not enough has been done to address that.

Things won't change until bigger things are done, such as doing something about what is basically a segregated education system in parts of Scotland.

Worse than in the past?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5hL6UbstyE&feature=related

People wouldn't believe what goes on in the name of god in Scotland.

My cousin can testify how bad it was and is playing for Celtic.

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
Celtic and Rangers thrive on the Bigotry/Politics of their supporters as thats how they get their sell out crowds every week.

They also need each other to survive and I dare say Scottish football needs them as no one bar the Scottish would even take an interest in the SPL.

Both teams are riddled with Sectarianism though to be fair Rangers seemed to have a history of it running through their club and not just their supportters with them not signing catholic players and their chairman caught singing Sectarian songs etc etc.

Sep 1, 2002
Celtic and Rangers thrive on the Bigotry/Politics of their supporters as thats how they get their sell out crowds every week.

They also need each other to survive and I dare say Scottish football needs them as no one bar the Scottish would even take an interest in the SPL.

Both teams are riddled with Sectarianism though to be fair Rangers seemed to have a history of it running through their club and not just their supportters with them not signing catholic players and their chairman caught singing Sectarian songs etc etc.
Many of the great Celtic players of old were non-catholic.

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
That was my point and their greatest ever manager (Jock Stein) was a Protestant.

When I say that they thrive on the bigotry i meant on marketing terms and the audience they appeal to.

Celtic never seemed to have Sectarianism through their hierarchy unlike Rangers who had a policy of not signing Catholic players and there was also the talk that Alex Ferguson would of been the manager of Rangers if he hadn't of married a Catholic.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
True.

The Old Firm need each other.

Do the rest of the league need them?

The SPL is dying a slow, painful death with them (arguably because of them) so I wouldn't be so sure that the league needs them.

Rangers FC officials have probably be caught being more overtly sectarian than Celtic officials, as far as I can recall, but that doesn't mean that they are necessarily more bigoted.

Celtic never seemed to have Sectarianism through their hierarchy unlike Rangers who had a policy of not signing Catholic players and there was also the talk that Alex Ferguson would of been the manager of Rangers if he hadn't of married a Catholic.
The marrying a Catholic was a factor.

The way Rangers reacted to that, combined with him being scapegoated for a Cup Final loss to Celtic as a player, was enough for him to not want to leave Aberdeen to join them.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
Rather simply because most of those fans actually are supporters of the clubs, so if you heavily punish clubs for it, the majority of fans would most likely stop the sectarian chanting which would decrease the violence as well, and those that don't stop in the stadiums would be easier to find and you'd even have fans telling them to shut up.

That or you ban an entire section of the people that go to watch the games and keep doing it til stops, would just take longer.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
But what is seen at Rangers and Celtic matches is just the most obvious example of sectarianism in Scotland.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be punishements for the clubs, but you have to teach people that religious intolerance is wrong, rather than just stopping them singing a few rather dull songs and leaving them with the same beliefs - even if they no longer express them in public.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
Of course, but alot of especially younger people are influenced by seeing it on TV or hearing thousands sing songs at a football game.

If it was all in-house it would eventally disappear, each generation is slowly moving away from religion anyway.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I don't know how many of the Old Firm fans really believe what they are singing, though, or if it is just done to annoy other fans.

I sing all sorts of deeply unpleasant things at football, most of it with the intention of pissing off opposition fans/players.

I'll sing about Bobby Sands (the dirty Fenian fucker), for instance, or call Walter Smith a sad orange bastard.

I have no religious beliefs whatsoever.

Nicole

Sep 16, 2004
Doesn't really matter whether they believe what they are singing or not, they ned to end.

Heavily punishing the clubs is the best way to do it - it would also be the fastest way to do it, a few years at most before the clubs and fans really cut out that behavior.

Boksic

May 11, 2005

Spot on!!!

Segregating children at an early age because of religion is insane in a country that wants to stop a divide.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Rather simply because most of those fans actually are supporters of the clubs, so if you heavily punish clubs for it, the majority of fans would most likely stop the sectarian chanting which would decrease the violence as well, and those that don't stop in the stadiums would be easier to find and you'd even have fans telling them to shut up.

That or you ban an entire section of the people that go to watch the games and keep doing it til stops, would just take longer.
but Celtic don't have a problem with sectarianism...they song glorifying the IRA etc are not sectarian

they are political:rolleyes:

at least according to the Celtic board and since nobody in Scotland reports these ongs being sung by it is ignored

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
though the rumours flying about like crazy is that Lennon has been caught on CCTV calling Maurice Edu and El Hadji Diouf N****rs and will NOT be Celtic manager next year.

though i assume this suits the Celtic board nicely,they played along with his accusation earlier in the season knowing it would galvanise the support and create a siege mentality6.
however Lennon has become untouchable in the supports eyes and now they have created a monster they cannot control. of course they will let Lennon walk away a hero and claim it is for his own safety,etc so as not to feel the force of abacklash

Sep 1, 2002
though the rumours flying about like crazy is that Lennon has been caught on CCTV calling Maurice Edu and El Hadji Diouf N****rs and will NOT be Celtic manager next year.

though i assume this suits the Celtic board nicely,they played along with his accusation earlier in the season knowing it would galvanise the support and create a siege mentality6.
however Lennon has become untouchable in the supports eyes and now they have created a monster they cannot control. of course they will let Lennon walk away a hero and claim it is for his own safety,etc so as not to feel the force of abacklash
I only like rumours if I started them, or know who started them.

Did you start that one?

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
em...no

i started the one about him being caught "frosting" the Jamaica cake at Celtics training ground

and by jamaica cake,i mean Charlie Mulgrews ass crevice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)