[SCO] Scottish Premier league 2008/2009 (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
He is a generally competent manager, I just can't see him giving us the edge to push on and win a major trophy.
He perhaps lacks the gravitas to attract the top players to Juve, and is certainly not inspirational by any description, but I believe he'll lay the foundations for success for the next manager, just as he did for the chosen/golden one at Chelsea

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
That's what I'm hoping for.

If he can bring the youngsters on this season and get us into the CL again, then step aside for a top manager to take over, it would be ideal.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Nah, we've got Tango for the foreseeable future since we gave him a new contract which means we can't afford to sack him for at least a year.

How do you think this season's Celtic compare to last season's?

Rangers are slightly better, but they don't have the same quality Celtic have in midfield to create chances.

I think Celtic are still the better side, but Rangers might sneak the title due to not being in Europe this season.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Nah, we've got Tango for the foreseeable future since we gave him a new contract which means we can't afford to sack him for at least a year.
"Tango"...that always makes me laugh...I see Edinburgh has overtaken Glasgow in terms of number of tanning salons...all those orange jambo fans?

How do you think this season's Celtic compare to last season's?

Rangers are slightly better, but they don't have the same quality Celtic have in midfield to create chances.

I think Celtic are still the better side, but Rangers might sneak the title due to not being in Europe this season.
Up until this week I was p*ssed of...VOH still giving stupid free kicks away in good positions, Skippy moaning and complaining to everyone because he didn't get the ball put on his toe from fifty yards, one trick wonder McGeady getting found out with the man marking system, Naylor breaking down every move down the left wing, McManus proving again that he's not only not Celtic Captain material, he's not even squad quality, Caldwell thinking he's a young Sol Campbell and storming forward only to punt the ball out of the park as soon as he's shut down and put under pressure, Scott Brown trying too hard and not playing with the rest of the team, Nakamura only playing at Celtic Park, Hinkel dive bombing, and Boruc being the only quality player at the club with Hartley sound in mid field...same old Celtic that fluked the league last year...well you did ask!!!...

But now Maloney is back, Loovens is in, and Crosas able to make a ten yard pass without giving the ball away like Donatti does, then I'm slightly more relaxed.

As for Rangers, you know better than me...how did they look in the flesh at the weekend?

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
They looked quite good in the first half, but we didn't close them down properly (partly due to being outnumbered in CM and partly due to the ref trying to make it a non-contact game).

In the second half we got in their faces more and they were shown up for the average players they are.

They have no width (they played Kenny Miller wide left against us) and so they struggle to create chances. Boyd looks overweight and his link up play is hilariously bad.

Defensively they look shaky. Weir can't run and Bougherra looks dodgey as he lets the ball bounce too often for a CB.

They are slightly better than last season, but still aren't any good.

We were crap for most of the game and still held them reasonably comfortably.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Dr Joe, Wim J, John Barnes and Big Jock were all Celtic men?...and what religion where they?

Celtic fans respected Dr Joe, loved Wim J, gave Barnes a chance until Inv Caley, and treat the memory of Stein with heartfelt devotion...not one a Celtic man.

Sorry guys, but if Strach won three championships playing atractive footie he would be treated at least the same ,if not better than, MON
get off your high horse paranoia boy, i never mentioned religion,never have,never will. i just wondered why so many celtic fans hated strach when he has been so successful, all yo ever hear is that the team plays rubbish football....like the MON team with hartson,balde,sutton,lennon,etc played total football:sick:

"Tango"...that always makes me laugh...I see Edinburgh has overtaken Glasgow in terms of number of tanning salons...all those orange jambo fans??
did you not just say leave religion out of this? this catholic jambo will let it go for now but careful what you wish for

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
get off your high horse paranoia boy, i never mentioned religion,never have,never will. i just wondered why so many celtic fans hated strach when he has been so successful, all yo ever hear is that the team plays rubbish football....like the MON team with hartson,balde,sutton,lennon,etc played total football:sick:
didn't you read the post above.?...simply thought it be good to connect both comments together, no need to get on your high horse...and you haven't answered the point about the list of managers who weren't Celtic men? ...I'm still waiting for an answer to the point I notice.

did you not just say leave religion out of this? this catholic jambo will let it go for now but careful what you wish for
Oh dear...this answer says more about you than me...the subject was orange as in the colour of Jimmy Calderwood due to his fake tan, not religion...but you dive in and assume orange as in Orangeman without thinkiing it through...why is that?..and you state that you wont ever mention religion, never have, never will and yet you tell me your a catholic jambo fan?

...and what is paranoia boy mean exactly?...a post states that Celtic fans don't like Strachan because he is a Catholc - I reply - a post states that Celtic fans don't like Strachan because he isn't a 'Celtic' man - I reply - I made no attacks on any person, group of fans, or associations, made no conspiracy theories, but I'm the one refered to as paranoia boy but not the one who takes orange as a reference to something other than the subject matter...maybe I should ask your owner about paranoia with his mafia theories...doesn't reflect well on Hearts fans particularly well

...and even if I did mean Orangemen, which I didn't, is it any worse than what you said about being a 'Celtic man'...the common perception of the meaning of that term is Catholic, who stood on the terraces from boyhood and through thick and thin, who buys the strips, and is true to the team...what does a true Celtic man mean to you? Just being a former player doesn't make you a Celtic man, as it would a Hearts man or Aberdeen man. And, wether i like it or not, most Celtic fans are Catholic.

...and what am I wishing for that I should be careful of, don't get that one?

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
didn't you read the post above.?...simply thought it be good to connect both comments together, no need to get on your high horse...and you haven't answered the point about the list of managers who weren't Celtic men? ...I'm still waiting for an answer to the point I notice.
so you thought it would be good to tar us both with the same brush? i have to say it was a rather foolish comment by andy,but i did not realise that being a "celtic man" meant you had to be catholic. i meant that strach is no celtic fan, does not claim to love the club and is not percieved to care as much about teh club as previous managers did.

i know that danny mcgrain is perceived as a true legend and rightly so,he is percieved as a celtic man who loves the club despite him being a protestant.
i never made that connection but you obviously did

Oh dear...this answer says more about you than me...the subject was orange as in the colour of Jimmy Calderwood due to his fake tan, not religion...but you dive in and assume orange as in Orangeman without thinkiing it through...why is that?..and you state that you wont ever mention religion, never have, never will and yet you tell me your a catholic jambo fan?
please do not think that i am so naive to buy that excuse, it was a clearly directed comment and shows your distinct lack of class

...and what is paranoia boy mean exactly?...a post states that Celtic fans don't like Strachan because he is a Catholc - I reply - a post states that Celtic fans don't like Strachan because he isn't a 'Celtic' man - I reply - I made no attacks on any person, group of fans, or associations, made no conspiracy theories, but I'm the one refered to as paranoia boy but not the one who takes orange as a reference to something other than the subject matter...maybe I should ask your owner about paranoia with his mafia theories...doesn't reflect well on Hearts fans particularly well.
blah blah sell that shit to the tourists do not think for a minute anyone would buy that it was not an attack on what you perceived as a personal slight

...and even if I did mean Orangemen, which I didn't, is it any worse than what you said about being a 'Celtic man'...the common perception of the meaning of that term is Catholic, who stood on the terraces from boyhood and through thick and thin, who buys the strips, and is true to the team...what does a true Celtic man mean to you? Just being a former player doesn't make you a Celtic man, as it would a Hearts man or Aberdeen man. And, wether i like it or not, most Celtic fans are Catholic.

...and what am I wishing for that I should be careful of, don't get that one?
no, for me a celtic man means a fan, a supporter,someone with the clubs best interests at heart. do not get em wrong being a player or manager does not mean you are a man of any team but teh way you act,conduct yourself and the passion and effort you put in does affect it.
dave macpherson played many games for hearts but is by no means a hearts man, craig levein on the other hand would bleed himself dry for hearts.

whether most celtic fans are catholic or not,i simply implied that since strach is a self-confessed hibee and is viewed as using celtic as a stepping stone that he is looked at with disdain.

but let us drop this right now,this could go on forever and nobody would come out of it looking good,so lets draw a line under this sorry story and get back to the real issues at hand.........

That is the worst avatar I have ever seen.
:oops:

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
They may not be Celtic men, but they were not associated with Scottish football at all, except Stein who played for Celtic.

Strachan was not a Celtic man as you put it (I still think that Celtic man/ Celtic minded equates to Catholic in a significant minority of Celtic fans, but I'm sure you know the situation better than me) and he was also a player who is remembered for playing for Aberdeen at a time when it was usually Aberdeen v Celtic for the title.

I'm sure the fact that he is in arrogant wee prick doesn't help. That certainly turned me against him.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
so you thought it would be good to tar us both with the same brush? i have to say it was a rather foolish comment by andy,but i did not realise that being a "celtic man" meant you had to be catholic. i meant that strach is no celtic fan, does not claim to love the club and is not percieved to care as much about teh club as previous managers did.
please do not think that i am so naive as to buy that excuse, it was a clearly directed comment and shows your distinct lack of class

i know that danny mcgrain is perceived as a true legend and rightly so, he is percieved as a celtic man who loves the club despite him being a protestant. I never made that connection but you obviously did:
...I didn't make any connection between Danny McGrain and not being Catholic, that would be you...the guy who doesn't write about religion. Not difficult to pick former legendary players who aren't Catholic, but the reality is McGrain didn't grow up supporting Celtic, as didn't the likes of Dalgleish, Lambert, McLeod, or that muppet Proven you mentioned, who sold his association with Celtic to the highest bidder for filthy lucre - he's no Celtic man...in fact like most of the Lisbon Lions...but the reality is they only became Celtic men after a long association with the club, not before...so why is Strachan different? Another seven championships in a row and the fans might start taking to him.

...it's sadly the perception in the public domain: are you actually prepared to suggest that the majority of people don't make the slightest association of Celtic men being of Irish Catholic decent who support the same club their fathers did, and their fathers...are you telling me the Rangers fans have got it wrong? shocker...and why do Jambo fans call us fenian Bast#rds when we come to Tyncastle, as do many other home fans?..are they getting us mixed up with someone else?

please do not think that i am so naive to buy that excuse, it was a clearly directed comment and shows your distinct lack of class:
...I actualy don't have a particlarly high opinion of myself, so that remark is like water of a ducks ass...

blah blah sell that shit to the tourists do not think for a minute anyone would buy that it was not an attack on what you perceived as a personal slight:
the truth is a pretty powerful defence my lad...and a personal slight directed towards who...every jambo fan or you?...why would I, to use your phrase, tar you with the same brush...?

no, for me a celtic man means a fan, a supporter,someone with the clubs best interests at heart. do not get em wrong being a player or manager does not mean you are a man of any team but teh way you act,conduct yourself and the passion and effort you put in does affect it.
dave macpherson played many games for hearts but is by no means a hearts man, craig levein on the other hand would bleed himself dry for hearts.

whether most celtic fans are catholic or not,i simply implied that since strach is a self-confessed hibee and is viewed as using celtic as a stepping stone that he is looked at with disdain.:
some good points here...and I would prefer it if the perception of the footballing world in relation to Celtic fans (and Rangers fans) was that clear cut and obvious, but if you honestly believe that Celtic fans are not perceived as generally associated with Catholicism then you must live a very insular life. That's why they bless themselves when the tic score and have the cross tattooed on their willie.

To most people, rightly or wrongly, Celtic men are considered to come from Irish Catholic stock, from cradle to the grave...starting late doesn't cut it...a bit like the mafia having to be Italian...it's wrong to do so, but that's the way the jaffa cake bounces

but let us drop this right now,this could go on forever and nobody would come out of it looking good,so lets draw a line under this sorry story and get back to the real issues at hand.........

:oops:
we can stop now that I've had my say if you wish...

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
They looked quite good in the first half, but we didn't close them down properly (partly due to being outnumbered in CM and partly due to the ref trying to make it a non-contact game).

In the second half we got in their faces more and they were shown up for the average players they are.

They have no width (they played Kenny Miller wide left against us) and so they struggle to create chances. Boyd looks overweight and his link up play is hilariously bad.

Defensively they look shaky. Weir can't run and Bougherra looks dodgey as he lets the ball bounce too often for a CB.

They are slightly better than last season, but still aren't any good.

We were crap for most of the game and still held them reasonably comfortably.

from what you say the old firm derby may be a one sided rout, I wish...
Bougherra dodgy...how. about in the air, feet, positional sense?

And Boyd...what you write was what Smith was suggesting was the reason he wasn't being played...me thinks fan pressure has brought him back into the team, and Walt is being proven right

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
They may not be Celtic men, but they were not associated with Scottish football at all, except Stein who played for Celtic.

Strachan was not a Celtic man as you put it (I still think that Celtic man/ Celtic minded equates to Catholic in a significant minority of Celtic fans, but I'm sure you know the situation better than me) and he was also a player who is remembered for playing for Aberdeen at a time when it was usually Aberdeen v Celtic for the title.

I'm sure the fact that he is in arrogant wee prick doesn't help. That certainly turned me against him.

at last, reasoned argument on topic...

..the fact no association with Scottish football may apear to alay any fears of not trying against your old club, etc, but it introduced an element of journeyman/ mercenary into the mix, in it for the money, and as B says - stepping stone to better things...but still not Celtic men...Jansens team denied Celtic a second EC remember, but the fans still loved him despite this...and as for Strachan being in the Aberdeen teams who outplayed and outclassed the old firm in the eighties...with all due respect, it was soooo long ago many younger Celtic fans didn't know he even played in Scotland, never mind Aberdeen - thought he was an angloscot - played for Manu and Leeds only.

At times he can actually come out with some very endearing comments about the club...best job in football, honour, privalage, etc, the usual sentiment and he comes accross as meaning it...but the main thing is the arrogance and petulance he displays...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)