Science/Health - Debate Thread (3 Viewers)

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Something that I am extremely interested in, one of my favourite journalists is Ben Goldacre who debunks and exploits the horrors of bad science/healthcare in the world around us. We have never really discussed this stuff in here before, I dont know if it will be something that we will all disagree on, i know that Swag is on my side with this :weee:.

Similar to how the "god" thread is working, I thought it would be fun to have a thread to debate various questions surrounding the subjects.

Should Homeopathy be offered on the NHS?

In the UK we have the NHS, which provides free health care (aside from dentistry, prescription meds and optical care) to all residents of the UK. It has been proposed numerous times that Homeopathy should be offered as part of the NHS, as the matra goes - "I am paying for it, I should be allowed to choose how I am treated". But homeopathy does no better than placebo, as proven in numerous trials (google is your friend if you want to argue against that). What do people think - heres a nice little video (most recent i can find) that explains where the debate is at here.

Some tit added a buzzer in for some reason :shifty:

To me it is shameful how the presenter handles this debate, the BBC is supposed to be impartial...shameful.

I strongly disagree with Homeopathy being incorperated into mainstream medicine, let alone being funded by the tax payer.

Buy on AliExpress.com

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Going by the title, I think stem cell research should get a lot more federal funding than it gets. We have the key to a new medical revolution and we're not allowed to use it because of people complaining innocent fetus lives are being lost but the truth is many more lives would be saved.

OP
Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
  • Thread Starter #6
    They can. They're not as flexible but they can. People still freak the fuck out.
    Not just placenta, stem cells can be harvested from numerous parts of the body.

Theres a famous, i guess, breed of tadpole which gets stuck half way between being an egg and being a lizard. There entire bodies are made up of stem cells, so you can chop various body parts of and they grow new ones - its where most stem cell research began.

Axolotl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)