Roy Keane's next club - Celtic (1 Viewer)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
Geof said:
oooh crap. Please Roy sign for Real or any club elsewhere in the world!!!
What swrong with signing for Celtic Geof?

From the BBC:-

Celtic to complete move for Keane

Roy Keane will sign for Celtic - and should complete his free transfer move this week, BBC Scotland understands.
It is believed that a portion of the 34-year-old's salary will be paid directly by the Parkhead club's major shareholder Dermot Desmond.

Former Republic of Ireland captain Keane has been much in demand since leaving Manchester United in November.

Celtic have so far refused to comment on the story, but it is understood that the deal is set to go through.

Spanish giants Real Madrid were said to be the front-runners for Keane's signature but president Florentino Perez was not prepared to move until January.

Premiership duo Bolton and Everton had approached Keane, while West Brom and West Ham were among other clubs to express their interest.

Keane has said in the past that he would like to end his career at Celtic Park but chairman Brian Quinn had expressed concern about the level of the player's wages.

That issue would appear to have been resolved with the aid of Desmond's financial contribution.

Keane is not eligible to play until the winter transfer window opens, so the first match he could feature in would be the 1 January visit to Hearts.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
From ITV:-

Celtic fans wait on Keane
Celtic supporters are waiting for confirmation Roy Keane has completed a move to the Glasgow giants as news of a possible deal swept through Glasgow.

The Hoops have remained tight-lipped on the issue throughout the day, offering only a "no comment" to questions about the possible signing of the 34-year-old.

But fans, excited by speculation in the Scottish media that a deal has been done with Keane, have come out in support of a move for the Irishman.

The former Manchester United captain, whose contract at Old Trafford was terminated by mutual consent last month, has made no secret of his desire to play for the Celtic Park club.

Now, amid rumours he has already undergone a medical, fans are waiting anxiously for confirmation the deal has been done.

Keane was immediately linked with a move to Parkhead after his United exit.

In an unusual move following Keane's departure, Celtic issued a statement through their official website which said: "Roy Keane was a magnificent player and servant for Manchester United but he also knows all about Celtic.

"If at any time Roy would like to speak to us about his future and Celtic's, we would be only too happy to speak to him, but as yet there have been no discussions."

A host of Barclays Premiership clubs including Everton, Bolton, West Brom, Portsmouth, West Ham, Manchester City and Wigan were reported to be interested.

But Keane had declared an unwillingness to play against Manchester United in the future.

Earlier in the week, the Irishman was reported to be moving to Real Madrid.

But, when the Spanish club distanced themselves from their initial interest, the focus quickly returned to Celtic Park.

Parkhead chairman Brian Quinn has expressed his concern about Keane's wages, believed to have been £90,000 a week at Old Trafford, claiming such figures were "out of the question" for Celtic.

However, further speculation suggests majority shareholder Dermot Desmond could finance the deal.

Should Keane sign for Celtic he would not be allowed to make his debut until the New Year's Day trip to Hearts as the transfer window will then be open.

Peter Rafferty, President of the Affiliation of Celtic Supporters Clubs, insists the potential signing of Keane would be welcomed by fans.

Rafferty said: "He would be a great signing for Celtic and I think most Celtic supporters would love to see it happen.

"It has been well documented that he is a Celtic fan and he has been spotted on many occasions at European ties and Old Firm games at Parkhead.

"However, the most important thing is that he is a good footballer and his track record proves that.

"He is a winner and that's important."

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #115
    Right, I've cut my losses and assumed that the Celtic lark is true (unlike the Madrid one!) - anyway, I'm sure I've lost about 400 credits on this no matter what. :D

Geof

May 14, 2004
    100 more on celtic... whoa this is frenzy! I read a french article where they say that a celtic stake-holder (desmond dermot)is ready to pay half of the 60 000 Euros a week (!)

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    well he has signed for celtic,anyone who knows football knows he stated he wanted to finish his career at celtic
    GIVE ME MY MONEY

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)