Roy Carroll - what a joke *sponsored by the EPL refereeing misstakes* (2 Viewers)

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Hehe there's my fantasy league goalkeeper in action :cool:

awesome thing is I still got the 5 points for a clean sheet :howler:

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
That's funny. I understand that the referee couldnt see the ball behind the line, but it's the linesmans job to help the referee. This is a scandal. Man Utd. have bought the referee :p
well, I dont care too much. I hate EPL and all the teams in it ;)

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

Well ol' Fergie was standin' 20 friggin yards back and he said he saw it!
UPDATE1-Managers in technology call over linesman blunder
Tue Jan 4, 2005 11:33 PM GMT
Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS
(adds FIFA president Blatter's views, last three paras)

LONDON, Jan 4 (Reuters) - Managers Alex Ferguson and Martin Jol led calls for video technology to help officials after a linesman's huge blunder deprived Tottenham Hotspur of a match-winning goal against Manchester United on Tuesday.

With the teams level at 0-0 in the final minute, United goalkeeper Roy Carroll dropped the ball a metre over his own line and, after he had scrambled it away, the referee waved play on because linesman Ray Lewis failed to spot the incident.

Tottenham's Jol described the situation as a disgrace, though he refused to blame the officials.

"I can understand it but it's still a disgrace if you are playing football in 2005 and there is so much technology in the world," he told Sky Sports. "It is time to use the technology."

United's Ferguson said the incident should speed up the introduction of video equipment to help officiate matches.

"It just adds weight to the point about technology being brought in," Ferguson said.

"I don't think you can blame the referee or the linesman because I wasn't sure myself that the ball had crossed the line. It looked like it had but I wasn't dead sure.

"I have always been against videos because of the fact it takes too long but I think you can make most decisions within 30 seconds which is about the time it takes to take most goal kicks."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger also joined the debate following his team's 1-1 draw with Manchester City at Highbury.

"The whole country knows it was a goal, except the referee," Wenger told reporters. "It only re-enforces what I think should be done -- video evidence."

Earlier on Tuesday, FIFA president Sepp Blatter in a wide-ranging interview with a French soccer magazine, said he was against the idea of video assistance for offsides but favoured electronic devices to decide whether the ball had crossed the goal line.

"One thing that is possible and for which we're looking for an acceptable solution is the control of the goal line to find out whether the ball was in or out," said Blatter, who likened the device to equipment used for line calls in tennis.

Blatter said FIFA were trying a new system using a microchip in the ball and it would be tested during the English League Cup final in Cardiff on February 27.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

this last paragraph seems interesting

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
Gotta love the way everyone thinks he sucks just because of that. A few months ago everyone was wishing he was english so he could play for our national team. Seems to have followed the same fashion in this forum, from people who have probably never even seen him play. No offence but most football fans are fucking idiots :D

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #31
    ++ [ originally posted by Emma ] ++
    Gotta love the way everyone thinks he sucks just because of that. A few months ago everyone was wishing he was english so he could play for our national team. Seems to have followed the same fashion in this forum, from people who have probably never even seen him play. No offence but most football fans are fucking idiots :D

TBH, this isnt nearly his first big misstake he's made this season.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    Thing is he hasn't made any mistakes that have actually cost United anything, as oppposed to Howard who made loads at the start of the season which co-incided with their poor start

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #33
    And to think everyone was calling us crazy for paying 50 mil € for Gigi.

Sep 28, 2002
    come on, do the math, carrol's british, howard's american :rolleyes: :D

cant top teams in england afford decent goalies? chealse doesnt count cause they can affort everything.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Well let's see ... Lehman, Howard, Carroll, Almunia...

To quote you: do the math :D

To be honest - I dont get why Van der Sar is still at mere Fulham if you see that list :undecide:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)