Road To Linux (1 Viewer)

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
After years of contemplation I finally decided to take the plunge. A friend gave me Mandrake 9.1 (Not the smartest choice as I later learned) I was determined to make it work but was soon to find out that Mandrake went burst & switched to Mandriva. In the process I had done tested all types of installation including test. It worked fine on my desktop except for my Nvidia GeForce MX 440 graphocs card but I could not make it run on my friend's lappy. Digging deeper I decided to upgrade the kernel only to find out that the kernel source was not included in the CD. I ran into so many dependency issues I decided to look for another distro.
Enter Nawaf and his ubuntu thread - Yes, Ive been queitly reading it. Left my computer on all night to download the ubuntu iso. Tried it on my friends lappy & amazingly it installed on the first try without any driver issues except for a note that the graphics card has not been thoroughly tested. Installation on my desktop was a breeze! Imagine installing an OS without having to worry about drivers!
Pro's
- I love the way linux handles PDF files!
- It looks cool & has been stable.
- KOffice is better than I expected.
- Silly as it may sound wife & I had a good time playing one of those silly games.

Con's
- Synchronizing clock with the net on startup (How can I disable this)
- I could'nt do anything without a mouse. (looking for keyboard shortcuts)

Am still digging in though. I need recommendations:
- MP3 player
- Any application that can work with Adobe PageMaker files

More to come later.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Ali ] ++
Code:
for i in '/etc/rc*'; do sudo find $i -iname *ntpdate -print -exec rm {} \;; done
There should also be something called "Services" found in the menu where you can set this. In Ubuntu Breezy (released last week), it's System > Administration > Services :)

I like the mouse, what do you need shortcuts for? System > Administration > Keyboard Shortcuts should get you started

- MP3 player
Music player I assume (as opposed to the electronic device). Amarok. Never. Has. Been. A. Better. One.

What kind of files are those?

Mar 6, 2005
After years of contemplation I finally decided to take the plunge. A friend gave me Mandrake 9.1 (Not the smartest choice as I later learned) I was determined to make it work but was soon to find out that Mandrake went burst & switched to Mandriva. In the process I had done tested all types of installation including test. It worked fine on my desktop except for my Nvidia GeForce MX 440 graphocs card but I could not make it run on my friend's lappy. Digging deeper I decided to upgrade the kernel only to find out that the kernel source was not included in the CD. I ran into so many dependency issues I decided to look for another distro.
Enter Nawaf and his ubuntu thread - Yes, Ive been queitly reading it. Left my computer on all night to download the ubuntu iso. Tried it on my friends lappy & amazingly it installed on the first try without any driver issues except for a note that the graphics card has not been thoroughly tested. Installation on my desktop was a breeze! Imagine installing an OS without having to worry about drivers!
Pro's
- Silly as it may sound wife & I had a good time playing one of those silly games.

Con's

- MP3 player

More to come later.
Turn back, mate! Turn back before it's too late! :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
If you're a home user, linux can take over your life. :D But Ali admins a network of boxes, so he's doing this anyway, just that he's banging his head on the door using Windows. In his case, Linux is the way to go :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Zé Tahir ] ++
see that's why microsoft's gonna stick around for a long time
No, that's not why, but it's one of the reasons. Usability studies show that Macintosh is easier to use than Windows, that doesn't explain why Windows has 90%+ of the market.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zé Tahir ] ++
see that's why microsoft's gonna stick around for a long time
Martin's right. Window's isn't dominant because it's easier to use. It's easier to use because it's dominant.

It's dominant because of clever marketing and monopolative practices.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

Martin's right. Window's isn't dominant because it's easier to use. It's easier to use because it's dominant.

It's dominant because of clever marketing and monopolative practices.
that's true.

can someone help me with this. My DivX player just stopped working all of a sudden. I keep gettin this error message. I've tried re-installing, still get the same error.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

No, that's not why, but it's one of the reasons. Usability studies show that Macintosh is easier to use than Windows, that doesn't explain why Windows has 90%+ of the market.
Macintosh is overpriced and it works only on their machines and it is not being hacked like growing potatoes.

Mar 6, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Jeeks ] ++

Macintosh is overpriced and it works only on their machines and it is not being hacked like growing potatoes.
well, according to Martin and Majed on the Black Uhuru (;)) thread, they can work on IBMs.. :undecide:

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
Pro's

Con's

- MP3 player

More to come later.
Turn back before it is too late. I installed Ubuntu and now I am all Linux!

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
Pro's

Con's

- MP3 player

More to come later.
Glad you got it running Ali!! :thumb:

OP
Ali

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #20
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    Code:
    for i in '/etc/rc*'; do sudo find $i -iname *ntpdate -print -exec rm {} \;; done
    There should also be something called "Services" found in the menu where you can set this. In Ubuntu Breezy (released last week), it's System > Administration > Services :)
    Will try this later.

I like the mouse, what do you need shortcuts for? System > Administration > Keyboard Shortcuts should get you started
    Situations arise when I have to work without a mouse. Found that I had taken the mouse to another computer & I couldn't do jack ....

Music player I assume (as opposed to the electronic device). Amarok. Never. Has. Been. A. Better. One.
    Yes ofcourse music player & thanks for the tip. Amarok here I come.

What kind of files are those?
    A file with extension .p65 or .pmd used primarily for designing pages & adverts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)