Referee under police protection (1 Viewer)

OP
Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #21
    ++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
    Yeah shame on us for reacting to what the swedish guy did :D

What did he expect. Start a bloody campaign to bombard England newspaper with hate calls and get away with it? :)

Swedish guy did?
    Am I missing something here?:confused:

Buy on AliExpress.com
    OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #24
    I figured the Swedish part out (even with my limited brain power:D), but what I was asking about was the "campaign to bombard England newspaper with hate calls and get away with it?":confused:

Wasn't this in fact organised by a radio station he gave an interview with, and not he himself?

...and even if he did do it, would that justify, say, the Mirror printing a full spread centre page poster..."WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE "with his picture and an amount for his death?:eek:

I wanted England to go all the way this year, but the reaction in this country has been disgusting and shameful.:down:

The truth is, the poorest ref at the whole tournament was infact the English ref with his rediculous decisions (two dodgy penalty decisions for starters)...but do we have a hate campaign from the countries he disadvantaged? No:frown:

And not a single mention from anyone in the press about the clear goal Portugal had before England scored. Eurosport showed the full ball over the full line...not even brought up.
    :dazed:

Let's face it, the press were looking for someone to blame and he fitted the bill. If England had had that goal scored against them, the English Press would have crucified him for allowing an obvious foul on the poor, defencless English goalkeeper, viciously assaulted by the hoodlum Portugal players and blatently obstructed from easily catching an innocuous cross ball that he would have caught 100 times out or 100...the same result for the Ref....villified:frown:

What would happen if refs now refuse to ref English games?:eek:

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
    I wanted England to go all the way this year, but the reaction in this country has been disgusting and shameful.:down:
    I'm far from a typical Irishman who revels in England's failure, but I can never bring myself to actually support them because of the way their media behaves - the hype before, and the rubbish after.

:devil: That would be an interesting twist. I'm sure they'd get someone.

River

Jun 15, 2004
    I was talking about that DJ. I never heard anything about the referee getting death threats. I thought that was a mistake.

Of course there isnt an excuse that some hardliner thugs have given deaththreats. But like i said the swiss DJ was a fool to start that.

++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++
    I figured the Swedish part out (even with my limited brain power:D), but what I was asking about was the "campaign to bombard England newspaper with hate calls and get away with it?":confused:

Wasn't this in fact organised by a radio station he gave an interview with, and not he himself?

...and even if he did do it, would that justify, say, the Mirror printing a full spread centre page poster..."WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE "with his picture and an amount for his death?:eek:

The truth is, the poorest ref at the whole tournament was infact the English ref with his rediculous decisions (two dodgy penalty decisions for starters)...but do we have a hate campaign from the countries he disadvantaged? No:frown:

And not a single mention from anyone in the press about the clear goal Portugal had before England scored. Eurosport showed the full ball over the full line...not even brought up.
    :dazed:

Let's face it, the press were looking for someone to blame and he fitted the bill. If England had had that goal scored against them, the English Press would have crucified him for allowing an obvious foul on the poor, defencless English goalkeeper, viciously assaulted by the hoodlum Portugal players and blatently obstructed from easily catching an innocuous cross ball that he would have caught 100 times out or 100...the same result for the Ref....villified:frown:

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #27
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

I'm far from a typical Irishman who revels in England's failure, but I can never bring myself to actually support them because of the way their media behaves - the hype before, and the rubbish after.

:devil: That would be an interesting twist. I'm sure they'd get someone.

I understand exactly what you mean Mikhail.

You know, the Scots get hammered in England for the perception that they revel in England getting defeated. It just isn't like that.

True, we don't do ourselves any favours by a small number phoning up national radio stations and gloating, but after a month or so of the torture of having to listen to how good England are, and how England should really just have to turn up to get into the final, who can blame a few Jocks for enjoying the moment.

People in England forget that the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish have to watch the same TV, listen to the same radio stations and read the same newspapers as they do, and we get irritated by the myopic attention and over hype that the England team gets.

Page after page of utter nonsense about how, for example, player for player, no one in the Portugal team would get in to the English squad, how the English midfield is without doubt the best in the world, how Rooney is the best teenager since Pele, how if Beckham had only scored that penalty England would without doubt have went on and won the tournament...that kind of tosh...and the truth is, many English people see through it too and turn off.

When England get knocked out it's not that we are glad that Beckham and Co, the individuals, are on their way home; more like relieved that the media no longer has a reason to pump out the vitriol any longer, and we can then get on with a balanced view for the remainder of the tournament.

The good thing now is that more and more English fans are calling into question the antics of the media and demanding a little realism in their reporting...good on them, as it's not the English fans or the players - it's the red top's - who are the target's for the Celts.

The Scottish media incidently used to be just as capricious to the Scotland team (that's when Scotland used to qualify for tournaments...if you can remember that far back). Pumping them up, then tearing them down from a high place. Got to the point many players just said enough's enough, no more, go stick it where the sun don't shine, and walked away. I can see this happening to a few English players over time.

ps...I thought the "Come on England" song was fantastic, and a real good laugh:dontcare:

OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #28
    ++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
    I was talking about that DJ. I never heard anything about the referee getting death threats. I thought that was a mistake.

Of course there isnt an excuse that some hardliner thugs have given deaththreats. But like i said the swiss DJ was a fool to start that.
    The Ref only gave this interview after the Brit Press printed all his dirty linen in public...you know...about his affair...business dealings...business and home address, and so on. He (Meir) got threatened with death allright...but as in most of these cases, it was just psychological intimidation from morons, not the real English fans, who, and it must be mentioned, behaved pretty well at this tournament; apart that is from some minor bar room brawls, which could happen at holiday resorts any time of year anyway:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)