Quagliarella - Matri (1 Viewer)

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
Although we are being linked with Aguero currently, I think it's a safe bet to put your money on our new starting striking force for next season: Quagliarella - Matri. Both have played for half a season, Quagliarella scoring 9 goals and assisting 2 and Matri having scored already 7 goals for us and assisting one. To make a long story short, I'm curious how people feel with having these two upfront/as our starting striking force. Is it Italian mediocrity at its finest? Does it have the potential to be as good as the Cassano-Pazzini partnership? I dont know what to think exactly from it, although both have grown on me over time.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
They aren't good enough to lead our attack in the long term but for now they'll do. We have serious pressing issues in defense & midfield that need to be attended to plus they have done a decent job when available.

Cirillo

Nov 10, 2009
I think we would be silly not to add both permanently and also purchase another striker (Aguero). We haven't seen the Quag-Matri partnership together yet so we don't know if it will work. A forward pack consisting of Aguero, Matri, Quag as our main strikers and with DP and Toni(we're stuck with him) for back up/cup games/cover should be a minimum. I guess only time will tell though.

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
Well, individually they're both good. Matri seems to have had a breakout season, while Quagliarella looked set to have his own until the injury. While there's no way to tell whether or not they'll mesh together as a good strike paring, in theory, they should work. Both are quite mobile in terms of pace, moving off the ball and getting open for the pass, dragging defenders around, all of which helps create space for other teammates. They have versatility, as well, in terms of playing as either a focal point or support role. That's a big plus, I think.

So, yeah, they might not be WC, but it's not the worst tandem possible. It could be very effective in Serie A.

As for the comparison to Cassano/Pazzini? Well, neither comes near Cassano in terms of vision, although Quagliarella's seemingly endless supply of magic/knack for brilliant goals is something... Pazzini is forgettable, either could replace him.

If we're going Italian one way or another, overall, it's not a bad choice.

Cirillo

Nov 10, 2009
investing in both and in another striker... that would cost, like, 50M?? or am i wrong?
I'm not saying it's going to happen it's just what I think needs to happen. I think Milan this season and even Inter in previous seasons have proven that unless you have a brilliant youth system that develops and then plays promising youth and turns them into superstars you need to spend big to win big. We're kidding ourselves if we think that we can buy enough quality players to fix he entire team for only 50m.

adriano_c

May 26, 2009
Juventus' management vastly overestimate their own ability. They think they can build a title-winning team via scouring the mid-table of Serie A for both players and coaches.

When's the last time that worked, anyway?

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Juventus' management vastly overestimate their own ability. They think they can build a title-winning team via scouring the mid-table of Serie A for both players and coaches.

When's the last time that worked, anyway?
It's possible but it starts with a brilliant coach with a strong backing with individuals that are ambitious & that aren't afraid to make tough decisions.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
IMO Quagliarella has more quality and brought much more to this team going forward. He has the ability to take the ball and bring it forward himself and lead attacks along with decent finishing. BUT Matri will probably be more of the kind of striker that we need depending on the system we have next season. If that system remains a quasi or straight 4-4-2 with attacking wide wingers then a proper CF is IMPERATIVE.

Either way, the price of both will have to be negotiated lower. Quag because of his injury which may have potentially affected his form or future physical condition and Matri because his purple patch of form with us does not necessarily go to tell us how good a player he would be over a 40 game season. Many expensive players have had good starts with us but never showed consistency and that possibility should be taken into account which we CAN justify to Catania for the reason I stated above.. he has not played a full season with this Juventus.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
it really depends on how we invest in the rest of the team. If the midfield and defence get a serious upgrade, quag and matri together might just do the trick..

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I think it's safe to say that with them as our duo next year we can forget about winning anything next year. Matri needs someone better next to him.

I'd be willing go bet third place would be an accomplishment for them as well.

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
having said that. A wordclassattack usually makes all the difference. Ideally i'd drop matri, to get someone else to partner quagliarella.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
I think we should get ourselves a new SS and play Matri next to him. Quag could come in from the bench since I think Matri is more of a natural goalscorer.

OP
Gian

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
  • Thread Starter #17
    I think we should get ourselves a new SS and play Matri next to him. Quag could come in from the bench since I think Matri is more of a natural goalscorer.
    Bench? He's going to cost 15M in total, quite expensive for a bench player :p

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
    Quag is a natural Support Striker while Matri is a out and out striker - Both are very clinical finishers and have the ability to pop up in good positions. They could work quite well together.

OP
    Gian

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
    Apr 12, 2009
  • Thread Starter #20
    Real Madrid have a 70m bench player in kaka :seven: :p
    I get your point, but we are no RM and have a limited budget. 10.5M could be 1/3th of our budget, not really a deal for the bench.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)