Quag and Matri (2 Viewers)

khalidkassim

Feb 2, 2007
Serie A stats last 3 seasons:

2006-2007: Matri(Rimini, B), 28 games, 4 goals. Quagliarella(Sampdoria, A)->35 games, 13 goals.
2007-2008: Matri(Cagliari, A)->24 games, 6 goals. Quagliarella-(Udinese, A)>37 games, 12 goals.
2008-2009: Matri(Cagliari, A)->31 games, 6 goals. Quagliarella(Udinese, A)->36 games, 13 goals.
2009-2010: Matri(Cagliari, A)->38 games, 13 goals. Quagliarella(Napoli, A)->34 games, 11 goals.
2010-2011: Matri(Cagliari-Juventus, A)->37 games, 20 goals. Quagliarella(Juventus, A)->17 games, 9 goals.

Quagliarella has actually been more consistent than Matri over the last 5 years, and he is only 1 year older. In the last five years, Matri has 45 goals in 130 Serie A games while Quagliarella has 58 goals in 159 Serie A games. Matri has 0.346 goals per game while Quagliarella has 0.365 goals per game.

13 goals, not 15.

I want both though, I just think that it is unfair to say that Quagliarella is more inconsistent than Matri.
Looking at the numbers, you can tell Matri is a player that is reaching his playing peak, the goal ratio comparison is extremely misleading in that case.

Secondly, Quagliarella may have had a break-out season this term but considering the fact he'll be fighting to return to form next season, I don't see his numbers being as impressive over the next first half of the season unless he goes through a non-stop summer camp, in which case he'll be fatigued 2/3's into next season. Matri is a goal scorer, if we can buy a world class SS that isn't injury prone. Del Piero will be enough cover, then again quag can play as a striker if we sell toni, iaq and amauri.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Serie A stats last 3 seasons:

2006-2007: Matri(Rimini, B), 28 games, 4 goals. Quagliarella(Sampdoria, A)->35 games, 13 goals.
2007-2008: Matri(Cagliari, A)->24 games, 6 goals. Quagliarella-(Udinese, A)>37 games, 12 goals.
2008-2009: Matri(Cagliari, A)->31 games, 6 goals. Quagliarella(Udinese, A)->36 games, 13 goals.
2009-2010: Matri(Cagliari, A)->38 games, 13 goals. Quagliarella(Napoli, A)->34 games, 11 goals.
2010-2011: Matri(Cagliari-Juventus, A)->37 games, 20 goals. Quagliarella(Juventus, A)->17 games, 9 goals.

Quagliarella has actually been more consistent than Matri over the last 5 years, and he is only 1 year older. In the last five years, Matri has 45 goals in 130 Serie A games while Quagliarella has 58 goals in 159 Serie A games. Matri has 0.346 goals per game while Quagliarella has 0.365 goals per game.

13 goals, not 15.

I want both though, I just think that it is unfair to say that Quagliarella is more inconsistent than Matri.
Quagliarella has played for better teams though. And yes, Quag is probably more inconsistent based on watching him, IMO. Feel free to use all the stats you like, I won't change my opinion.

Albo

Apr 13, 2009
We should buy both of them , and W.Class SS . I'm sure also Quag will play alot because we will have a lot of injures (I Hope we wont) .

da_ledgeaun

The Juve Freak
Jun 2, 2007
Keep Matri, send Quag back. Quagliarella has already cussed Napoli, they will release him from his contract and then we can get him for free.
If we had Moggi,yes that is a very possible scenario. but with Marotta what he would probably do is releasing Quag,and then Napoli tries to sell him,some clubs are interested then Marotta tries to get Lucarelli and fails to do so,then he would buy Quag for 18million euros claiming because there are no body else available at that price and he has experienced with Juve before.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Sign both. I have always liked Quag as a player and it has to do with the awesome moments he produces out of nothing. I didn't want him at Juve mainly because of his inconsistency, but now that he's here, I don't want to let him go. Andy is right when he says Quag hasn't been consistent. That said, he hasn't produced the type of consistency he has shown in the half season he was with us in the past few years either. So in this case I will give him the benefit of doubt and say that he'll be at least 'good' with us next season (although it all depends on how he recovers) We have already spent about 5 million for him, so he'll be ours for 10m. If we let him go, will we get a better player for 10 million? As much as I like Iaquinta, I can't wait till he's shown the door since he's way past his expiry date. So that leaves us with Toni and DP as our other strikers, unless Amauri sticks like a leach.
Since we are not playing in Europe next season I think we can do with Matri, Quag, DP and Toni as our attackers along with some other 5th striker. Serie A has been weak this season and I don't see it changing the next season either. No need for a marquee signing in attack for the coming season. For about 25 million we will get two attackers who'll be more than useful for our needs. Use the money to build a solid defense that can get us into the CL. Also a LW if we are going to stick to 4-4-2 or any of its variants. I'd go mental with happiness if we get Aguero or someone of that caliber, but its going to be a useless luxury at this point.

*All the above is said assuming that our coach next season knows what he's doing, which seems a long shot right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)