Premiership star fails drugs test! (1 Viewer)

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
Mutu Shocked By Drugs Test Results

Chelsea’s Romanian striker Adrian Mutu is said to be “absolutely shocked” by claims that he has failed a drugs test.
The Mail on Sunday newspaper reported that Mutu had tested positive for a banned substance after a test conducted by UK Sport. And the player’s agent has described him as being stunned by the accusation.

If a second sample shows up similar traces, Mutu could face a possible two-year ban.

Victor Becali, Mutu’s agent, said on Sunday: "We did not receive anything official until now, but on Monday morning, myself and my partner, Gica Popescu, will go to London.

"I have heard a lot of people in Romania saying that this is Chelsea’s revenge against Mutu but I do not agree because it is not in the interests of the club to make public such a story. They have their own interests in selling Mutu.

"I only heard that this is not a recent test. I think it was done in September. I spoke with Mutu on Saturday and he did not say anything to me about this story.

"But after I heard the story I called him and he was absolutely shocked," quotes the Daily Star.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho recently said he was unsure whether Mutu would play for Chelsea again following a dispute between manager and player over Mutu’s fitness.

The striker claimed defied Mutu by flying out against their wishes to join up with the Romania squad for their World Cup qualifier last weekend. He eventually played the full 90 minutes against the Czech Republic.

He then returned to West London to continue treatment for a combination of knee and thigh injuries.

And Mourinho revealed that there had been an "internal" meeting on Mutu’s return over a "personal situation."

Mutu was signed by former Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri for £15.8 million from Parma in August last year. He is currently believed to be staying with friends in Turin.

On Sunday the Football Association refused to comment on the reports of a positive drugs test. But the governing body promised to tighten up their anti-doping programme following Rio Ferdinand’s missed drugs test in 2003.

In July the FA announced that it would increase the number of tests in the 2004-05 season by 20% after a review by Lord Coe.

Former Chelsea goalkeeper Mark Bosnich was at first suspended by the club after testing positive for cocaine and later sacked when his B test also proved positive.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Am I the first one to mention that nothing has been officially confirmed? For all we know, it mignt not be Mutu. All I'm saying is lets waith until the official announcement before attacking him.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
Am I the first one to mention that nothing has been officially confirmed? For all we know, it mignt not be Mutu. All I'm saying is lets waith until the official announcement before attacking him.
Here in romania , they said it's official !

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
"The report did not identify the banned substance involved or say when the test was carried out. "

That's all pretty vague to me.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
"He is currently believed to be staying with friends in Turin. "

Any chance that would be Alessandro Del Piero, Lillian Thuram, Pavel Nedved and Fabio Cannavaro?

Sep 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Seven ] ++
"He is currently believed to be staying with friends in Turin. "

Any chance that would be Alessandro Del Piero, Lillian Thuram, Pavel Nedved and Fabio Cannavaro?

what gave you the idea they are friends?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
But I find it strange that a Romanian football player who plays for an English club is "staying with friends at Turin".

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
I had no idea you live in Romania atm. How'd you end up there?
Yea i live in Romania since 1999 so it's kinda 6 years ... my father is running a business here since 12years , so am with him :), but i visit Lebanon each summer.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Seven ] ++
But I find it strange that a Romanian football player who plays for an English club is "staying with friends at Turin".
Yea me 2 , i didn't know that, here Mutu in Romania is like Beckham in England. Ppl thinks he's the god of football.

1year ago in buchurest , he was drunk ,and was driving his jaguar with a high speed , so the police made him a sign to stop , but he didn't listen to him , as if he's a V.I.P , so the next day they took his driving license, and till now he can't drive in England. :D

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by azzurri7 ] ++

Yea i live in Romania since 1999 so it's kinda 6 years ... my father is running a business here since 12years , so am with him :), but i visit Lebanon each summer.

Wow there r many ppl in this forum that has lived in 2 countries b4 eh?

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
he is only 25,if he is strong enough he will return and have a good 5 years ahead of him.

his chelsea contract runs till 2008 iirc.

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004
Its all his own fault, choose a better wife than that doll he was together with, dont go to Chelsea just because the money tempts you, and as a result of going to Chelsea- no play time! (he knew chelsea was going to buy alot of other players), Mutu is simply dumb thats whats wrong with him.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Monday, October 18, 2004

PFA: Mutu admits to taking cocaine

Adrian Mutu has admitted to testing positive for cocaine and will not request that a 'B' sample be analysed according to players' union chief Gordon Taylor.
The Chelsea striker met with representatives of the Professional Footballers' Association yesterday and will not insist on counter-analysis of the original test which proved positive for cocaine.

'He will not be going ahead with the second test. He has tested positive for cocaine,' Taylor revealed.

'There will be a hearing at the Football Association, which we hope can be held as quickly as possible to get the matter dealt with.'

Taylor expects there to be PFA representation at the hearing while Mutu's advisors should also be free to attend before an FA commission, who must decide the Romanian star's fate.

The player could be suspended for up to two years but he can expect a lighter penalty, particularly in light of his early admission and acceptance of the original test result.

Mutu's representative Gheorghe Popescu revealed the player has been 'destroyed' but hopes to escape with a six-month suspension by coming clean.

Former Romania midfielder Popescu, now one of Mutu's agents, advised the player not to seek counter-analysis of his sample.

'Mutu is destroyed. I told him to assume full responsibility for his actions but he seemed not to understand,' said the former Tottenham player.

'I told him not to ask for a second sample so as not to prolong his agony. I told him that almost always the second sample confirms the first.'

Mutu is believed to have spent much of last night locked in talks with Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon. He could now be suspended without pay by the London club until the FA complete their own investigation.

His shame has also caused a massive split among the four agents responsible for advising him.

Ioan Becali refused to fly to London because he was so upset by the revelations and because he knew they were true.

Becali said: 'I found out about the result on Tuesday. The Chelsea manager (Jose Mourinho) was a gentleman and called me.

'From that moment I decided to change my phone number. That is why I didn't want to go to England with my brother Victor, who also looks after Adrian, because I knew the story was true.

'I was very unhappy with Mutu and told him about the test. But he decided to go to Italy because he would be ashamed to appear in front of his colleagues ahead of this news.'

Becali added: 'He didn't play well against Villa so he didn't merit inclusion against Paris St Germain in the Champions League a few days later.

'Three players missed a training session after that game. Mutu was one.'

Becali claimed this had upset Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, who ordered a drug test.

The agent added: 'We will not be requesting the 'B' test.'

Mutu, signed from Parma for £15.8million last year, now faces having his lucrative £60,000-a-week contract ripped up by Chelsea.

Becali also claimed that he lied to former Blues boss Claudio Ranieri last season so that Mutu could go out clubbing back home in Romania.

'I lied to one of my best friends for Mutu,' he said. 'Last season, he asked me to tell Claudio that his mother was sick. Instead, he wanted to come to Romania for two days and have fun.

'Ranieri had left a dossier that Mutu was a bad egg, going out clubbing. This is not a lifestyle that you associated with a professional footballer.'

Becali is convinced that Mutu went off the rails because of personal problems between himself and his wife - television presenter Alexandra Dimu.

The pair are now reconciled, although Becali added Mutu was unhappy at leaving his child.

He explained: 'I think this happened to him because of his divorce. He was very upset he left a child behind with his wife.'

Mutu fell out with Mourinho over his decision to defy the club and play for Romania in their World Cup qualifier against the Czech Republic last week.

The striker played despite a knee problem and Mourinho fined him two weeks' wages on his return to England. He has now been told to stay away from the club's training ground.

The club and the Football Association have yet to make any comment.

Taylor added: 'It's very difficult to predetermine what will happen at the hearing but we do have a distinction between social drugs and performance-enhancing drugs.

'If the player accepts that he is guilty and if he is prepared to undertake rehabilitation, be checked regularly and to be clean then there is greater sympathy towards the player.'

The PFA chief believes it would not be in Chelsea's interest to sack Mutu, as they did goalkeeper Mark Bosnich who also tested positive for cocaine, because of the amount of money spent on the player.

'Mark Bosnich wasn't in the first team and they took the opportunity to cancel his contract. Adrian Mutu cost over £15million, it's a great deal of money to write off,' he told Sky Sports News.

'Bearing in mind the investment they have made, they have as much interest in getting the player right as Adrian himself and as we have.'

Taken from
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=313641&cc=4716

The answer is out guys. Looks like we r not making wild guesses after all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)