Premier League 2023-24 (46 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Came on for England as a sub against Scotland, and apparently scored an own goal :lol:
Southgate sticking by Maguire is good news for everyone else. He's a glaring weakness for England, probably the only one they have. Other than inexperience of winning things.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Southgate sticking by Maguire is good news for everyone else. He's a glaring weakness for England, probably the only one they have. Other than inexperience of winning things.
I think Southgate mistakenly thinks he’s standing by him this way when in reality he is just burning him more by serving him up on a plate like this.

What’s even more remarkable is that Maguire refused to go to Westham where he could have rebuilt his brand or at least become just another somewhat decent defender and get out of this spot light.

it’s as if Maguire is a masochist and Southgate is a sadist

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
He's become a meme. Like I said in the other thread, I respect him a lot for how he deals with it.

It's simply that he shouldn't be more than 5th or 6th choice for England and he should be at a club like West Ham. Fans realise he doesn't really have a place in elite football because of the mistakes, but the fact he gets on with it and carries on through bloody-mindedness is simply impressive.

Southgate is too loyal and it could be to his detriment. This is a guy who knows what it's like to deal with horrible (and frankly ridiculous) abuse and I think it has affected him ever since, so maybe there is an element of rallying around Maguire because of that.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
I think England has a very talented generation of young footballers. It's kind of coming in waves. It's crazy to say this, but they actually might have the most talented guys right now, among all nations.

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
I think England has a very talented generation of young footballers. It's kind of coming in waves. It's crazy to say this, but they actually might have the most talented guys right now, among all nations.
Yes, but they have an English Allegri managing them so no, they'll lose the games they're expected to win because they were too negative.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
He's become a meme. Like I said in the other thread, I respect him a lot for how he deals with it.

It's simply that he shouldn't be more than 5th or 6th choice for England and he should be at a club like West Ham. Fans realise he doesn't really have a place in elite football because of the mistakes, but the fact he gets on with it and carries on through bloody-mindedness is simply impressive.

Southgate is too loyal and it could be to his detriment. This is a guy who knows what it's like to deal with horrible (and frankly ridiculous) abuse and I think it has affected him ever since, so maybe there is an element of rallying around Maguire because of that.

But Southgate is actively hurting Maguire.

His intentions might be good, I honestly don't doubt they are. But Maguire's form has been nothing short of horrendous the past few years. Give the man a little break from international duty to catch his breath. The same goes for earlier managers at United by the way. Had they dropped Maguire earlier he'd have recovered much sooner. I don't think Maguire is a top level defender. He will always be prone to errors. But he could have been decent had his managers not constantly exposed him to more pressure than he could handle at the time.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
as much fun it is to read, i have very strong tuz/jj vibes here. everyone has his favorite scapegoat, be it ten hag, onana, martial, some other players, while for me it seems like the club is just operating in a terrible way

ten hag did a pretty good job at ajax, didn't he. i think he's competent. the club is shite though since ferguson left them. they just forgot what they were and how they managed to get it working. they can (and will) replace ten hag, he's not doing a good job, but it's more about the state of the club itself

carbon copy of jj

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
as much fun it is to read, i have very strong tuz/jj vibes here. everyone has his favorite scapegoat, be it ten hag, onana, martial, some other players, while for me it seems like the club is just operating in a terrible way

ten hag did a pretty good job at ajax, didn't he. i think he's competent. the club is shite though since ferguson left them. they just forgot what they were and how they managed to get it working. they can (and will) replace ten hag, he's not doing a good job, but it's more about the state of the club itself

carbon copy of jj
I think the difference being none of us really have any lofty expectations of this team. We know we suck. But Manure fans always have high hopes at the start and it always ends up the same way.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
I think the difference being none of us really have any lofty expectations of this team. We know we suck. But Manure fans always have high hopes at the start and it always ends up the same way.
yeah they are certainly more delusional, and watching their reality check is certainly a treat

juve fans aren't the best in evaluating the situation of the club either. we shit on every player yet we expect the team to perform like prime holland from the '70s, how is it not schizophrenic lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 15, Guests: 29)