Premier League 2023-24 (16 Viewers)

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
I'm not sure how wise it was for Klopp to say from the start that he was leaving.
I also find it hilarious this habit of his of smiling like a Cheshire Cat when his teams are losing

I know it’s probably like a nervous tick/reaction and some kind of coping mechanism but I love how it fucks off so many Scousers lmao

Feb 9, 2013
I'm not sure how wise it was for Klopp to say from the start that he was leaving.
They could still win the title of course, but if they don’t, what do you make of Klopp’s Liverpool tenure? 9 years, 1 league title, 1 CL title. And then a few tinpot cup trophies (at least from the perspective of one of Europe’s biggest clubs).

The CL title alone probably makes it a success, but it also has to be a bit disappointing that they only won two major titles. Finished 2nd in the league twice, lost 2 CL finals, lost 1 Europa League final. 2 of those 3 finals they were favourites for (EL 2016 and CL 2022). In first place in the league for 12 rounds this season as late as Round 31. In first place for 17 rounds as late as Round 28 in 2018-19. In first place after Round 16 in 2020-21. Two titles lost by 1 point. One of their best attacks ever couldn’t score a goal in 2022 CL final against a weaker Madrid side, while outdoing them in attempts at goal 23-3.

It’s a very “almost” resume on the whole. Just a few more results here and there and it could have been up there with Pool’s ‘70s and ‘80s success.

Aug 10, 2017
They could still win the title of course, but if they don’t, what do you make of Klopp’s Liverpool tenure? 9 years, 1 league title, 1 CL title. And then a few tinpot cup trophies (at least from the perspective of one of Europe’s biggest clubs).

The CL title alone probably makes it a success, but it also has to be a bit disappointing that they only won two major titles. Finished 2nd in the league twice, lost 2 CL finals, lost 1 Europa League final. 2 of those 3 finals they were favourites for (EL 2016 and CL 2022). In first place in the league for 12 rounds this season as late as Round 31. In first place for 17 rounds as late as Round 28 in 2018-19. In first place after Round 16 in 2020-21. Two titles lost by 1 point. One of their best attacks ever couldn’t score a goal in 2022 CL final against a weaker Madrid side, while outdoing them in attempts at goal 23-3.

It’s a very “almost” resume on the whole. Just a few more results here and there and it could have been up there with Pool’s ‘70s and ‘80s success.
Depends on Man City 115 charges verdict?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

I think there's always going to be a distance between Shankly and Paisley and the rest because they turned the club from a middling club to a world-famous institution.

What Klopp has done has allowed Liverpool to compete again at the top level that wasn't just in the way Benitez did in a kind of plucky cup team kind of way, and he's done it playing good football and making players better. Plus he's a likeable personality at your club. He can't really control that he's competing with a state club like Man City in his tenure. The trophy list is definitely a bit disappointing overall but it's the best Liverpool by far since the Dalglish era.

Feb 9, 2013
@Post Ironic I think because they played in one is the most competitive leagues and considering how long Liverpool had gone without the prem title, it’s a resounding success.
Yeah. I think it’s a success, just not resounding. 1 league title and 1 CL over 9 years doesn’t spell dominance or dynasty for me.

I mean, resounding success is Juve 95-03 with a CL and numerous titles in the toughest league in football. Or Milan late ‘80s to mid ‘90s or Juve ‘80s. All these sides played in tough as nails, competitive leagues and won in Europe plus numerous domestic titles.

Klopp just didn’t do that. And while City is a state run club with more money than anyone else, City was really their only competition in the league for that period.

I guess you could say his first 5 years were a resounding success, building them back into a powerhouse and winning a league title after so long and a CL. The past four years that powerhouse has definitely underachieved.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022
So this guy has never won anything outside of Netherlands? Sounds perfect for Liverpool...fuck them.

These Prem clubs have no financial sense. They know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

I reckon the standard has dropped in England. They don't have the best players in the world, don't have the best managers in the world, and it's starting to show in Europe. Manchester City is excluded from this conversation due to their 115 financial breaches. Also, what the fuck is happening with referees over there? Not only in terms of comical VAR errors and "good process lads", but the influencing. It stinks.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005

People forget how irrevelant Pool had become before Klopp took over. He actually took Pool over in October when they were 10th in the league. And had finished 6th previous year.

They didnt even play in CL before Klopp took over. And people are ignoring how huge the epl win was for pool fans. 30 years since Pool had won the league. Unless the next guy is instantly success (which i doubt cause Salah and VVD are nearing end of their time there, actually need rebuild key areas), Klopp legacy will only get bigger.

Klopp winning the league is same if say Motta wins us the CL finally.

Also small details can be a difference in everything. 2016 it was still the previous manager team (Mignolet, Can, Toure, Sturridge, Benteke, Lovren) playing against Sevilla who are EL Madrid. CL2022, after everything we have witnessed, Real Madrid should always be considered favorites. The other one, Karius horror show.

There will always be ifs and buts (i think this season, they have blown everything, poor end to Klopp time but maybe he is right then to step down). People forget where Pool was when he took over. 6th previous year and 10th when he took over. They hadnt done anything in europe since Benitez left. Klopp instantly made impact.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 5)