Portuguese SuperLiga (1 Viewer)

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
I'm hearing it's really close this year. The the top 4 teams are within like two points of each other. Porto is ahead by 41, followed by Sporting, Boavista, and Benfica at 39, and Braga is right behind with 38.

Does anyone folllow this league?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
I dont follow it, cuz they dont show it in sweden. I see some of it on Eurogoals though and its nice goals in that league ;)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Yep. As an RTPi subscriber, I know I am one of the very few.

Porto had a very slow start a la Inter, with a lot of draws. They've been infused with a lot of Chelsea cash due to many departures, but a lot of their new talent has been pretty good. Diego has been alright. Quaresma has been among my favorites. Everyone jumped on the Maniche bandwagon after Euro 2004, but he's performing solidly and somewhat anonymously these days. IMO, their defense and coaching have been their biggest declines from last year, however -- since it all packed up for Chelsea. They've been dogged by draws, but they still have to be the odds-on favorite to win it again.

Trap's Benfica has returned to challenging form. They've been spotty when they've really needed to win games, but they've been perhaps more solid than many would expect for a team managed by Trappatoni ;). Miguel has been impressive as usual. Manuel Fernandes has been a nice surprise at midfield as a budding young star.

Sporting has been a dark horse all year, but, IMO, they have just as good a chance of surprising everyone with the title. They've been lurking -- hoping that the likes of Benfica and Porto will accidentally forget about them.

As for Boavista, it's good to see their more recent re-entry into the top tier. It's been since their cross-town rivalry with Porto when they both went deep into the UEFA Cup a couple years back. But I don't think they have what it takes to hang in the top 3 by the end of the season. They've been blown out big by Benfica and Sporting and even Braga to an extent earlier this season -- even if they beat out Porto 1-0 in the Porto derby.

Braga has to be the biggest surprise of all. They had a slow start and started to put together a few impressive wins with a team of mostly "no names". They've consistently been able to beat teams in the top tier. But I don't see them holding on in the top two by season's end, however.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by iBianconeri ] ++
I'm hearing it's really close this year. The the top 4 teams are within like two points of each other. Porto is ahead by 41, followed by Sporting, Boavista, and Benfica at 39, and Braga is right behind with 38.

Does anyone folllowe this league?
this is awesome, i like it...

OP
Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #8
    I read that only the the top 3 teams (Porto, Sporting, Benfica) have won the league, exceptions being Belenenses and Boavista since it's creation. That's crazy! and I dono but it seems as if only the top teams have the money, like there's no comparison to other teams in the league. Maybe i'm wrong, but it just seems that way.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    The Portugese Superligaen isn't half as developed or competitive as Serie A or La Liga,or even the French Ligue 1 or Dutch Eredivisie.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by iBianconeri ] ++
    I read that only the the top 3 teams (Porto, Sporting, Benfica) have won the league, exceptions being Belenenses and Boavista since it's creation. That's crazy! and I dono but it seems as if only the top teams have the money, like there's no comparison to other teams in the league. Maybe i'm wrong, but it just seems that way.
    That's definitely true, with Boavista being the most recent in 2001. Though let's not forget that the last time the Scudetto was won by someone not from Juve, Milan, or Rome was almost 15 years ago.

OP
    Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #13
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

That's definitely true, with Boavista being the most recent in 2001. Though let's not forget that the last time the Scudetto was won by someone not from Juve, Milan, or Rome was almost 15 years ago.
    hmm you're right, i never thought of that...good point.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

Still,that makes 5 clubs to the Superligaen's 3,and 15 years in the history of Serie A isn't all that much.

OP
    Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #15
    Wow, it's clooooose:

Clube Pts
    FC Porto 41
    Benfica 41
    Sp.Braga 40
    Boavista 40
    Sporting 39

Upcoming fixtures:

Estoril - - Boavista
    Or Leiria - Brink-sea
    Penafiel - FC Porto
    V.Setubal - Sp.Braga

Gil Vicente - V.Guimarães
    National - Benfica
    Belenenses - Sporting

Maritimo - Académica

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Huge game tomorrow between Porto and Benfica, at Porto. This match is the Superliga's equivalent to the Milan-Inter Derby della Madonnina.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)