Portugal 1 - 2 Greece (1 Viewer)

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

Not to take anything away from Greece's victory, but this team won their qualification group ahead of Spain afterall. This shouldn't be as shocking as some are making it out to be.

i didnt mean that. i meant their first victory in a competition of this level. i knew they had a lot of chances to win.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++

i didnt mean that. i meant their first victory in a competition of this level. i knew they had a lot of chances to win.
yeah,but not too many greeks really believed greece would win.
they hoped for that but nobody trully believed it!

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Lilianna ] ++

yeah,but not too many greeks really believed greece would win.
they hoped for that but nobody trully believed it!

exactly. i mean a game against a big team in qualifiers is not the exact same thing as the same game in the tournament. plus portugal was playing at home

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++

exactly. i mean a game against a big team in qualifiers is not the exact same thing as the same game in the tournament. plus portugal was playing at home
it was a real surprise..we(greeks) still don't believe it!!

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Greece was certainly not favored to win and they did an excellent job pulling it off. And a surprise? Yes. However, there's a difference between a "surprise" result and a "shocking" result (I reserve that for the likes of France-Senegal a couple of years ago).

If Greece wants to play that underdog, "we're happy to just be here and we're not going to win anything" card -- that's fine. I don't know if that's a superstition thing or what. But as far as I'm concerned, you can throw out the history books as a guide for any tournament held only once every four years. Statistics with so few data points and such large gaps in personnel consistencies are meaningless, IMO -- whether or not it was Greece's first major international tournament victory.

When teams like Romania, Turkey, Ireland, Belgium, Norway, and Poland don't even make it through the qualifiers, a team can't hide behind a Cinderella story and has to start raising expectations. If others don't raise their expectations for that team accordingly, well, then that's their problem for underestimating them (see FC Porto in the last CL).

Aug 1, 2003
I'm so bloody upset... Kudos to the Greeks for playing really well; but I guess I was just disappointed with Portugal's play - they were a bit unorganized; Figo was playing stupid, most of his passes and kicks were done halfheartedly, Simao, I don't know what he's trying to do, Collina's judgments were idiotic and the only good thing was that C. Ronaldo and Deco respectively brought some spirit into the game , Pauleta and others were okay, and I wish they didn't take Rui Costa out ... although some of his passes were inaccurate but I think his substitution was too soon and he at least was playing with full spirit unlike disgusting Figo ... to be honest I thought Figo was actually okay in the first half but he went down totally in the second, I don't know what the hell happened

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
drop figo and rui, and they'll win against russia :p

kudos to greece :thumb: portugal's defence was awful, so was the offence. greece out-hustled them in every department. dellas played well

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
Mwhahahah!!!!!!

I sad alll along, ALL along, that greece would win. Who belives me?? NO ONE! I was alone, but i showed you all!!

mwhahahah!! :devil:

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
Greece was certainly not favored to win and they did an excellent job pulling it off. And a surprise? Yes. However, there's a difference between a "surprise" result and a "shocking" result (I reserve that for the likes of France-Senegal a couple of years ago).

If Greece wants to play that underdog, "we're happy to just be here and we're not going to win anything" card -- that's fine . I don't know if that's a superstition thing or what. But as far as I'm concerned, you can throw out the history books as a guide for any tournament held only once every four years. Statistics with so few data points and such large gaps in personnel consistencies are meaningless, IMO -- whether or not it was Greece's first major international tournament victory.

When teams like Romania, Turkey, Ireland, Belgium, Norway, and Poland don't even make it through the qualifiers, a team can't hide behind a Cinderella story and has to start raising expectations. If others don't raise their expectations for that team accordingly, well, then that's their problem for underestimating them (see FC Porto in the last CL).

definitelly....even though it was kinda a mix...
surprise was the first goal and shock the second!!

they went there to play like that...but still,they tryied.even if they would lose,they wanted to lose with pride! that's why they tried soo hard! but now,after those wonderful results,they will carry on,playing and trying to get results,not just be happy for being there ;)

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Ferrari^M ] ++
It was funny, the Portuguese must have made like 20 crosses and the 19 of them were all wrong. The were so shocked!

ELLADARA OLEEEEEE!

yeah,because they didn't expect it!
they underestimated greece and we used it for our good...! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)