Porcupine Tree: Fear of a Blank Planet (1 Viewer)

Oct 3, 2004
This is an album I bought last weekend. It is absolutely brilliant.

Porcupine Tree are a progressive rock band, with lot's of influences such as Radiohead, Tool, Pinkfloyd...and few others, so you'll notice the similarity in their music...however, they are original. Blending an ambient sound with some heavy-metal riffs, spectacular drumming, and simple vocals.

It's different from the commercial crap you all are "forced" to listen to on the radio...and I'm sure there's quite many of you who've heard of this band, as they've been around since the late 80s / and 90s, and have a cult following throughout Europe and the USA.

Hope my brief Album review can influence you people to listen to some good music.

Enjoy...:D

1. Fear of a Blank Planet

Listen to it here, this is the radio edit because the song is quite long. Great lyrics about confused children / youth obsessed and lost amidst the heavy influx of information...kids growing up without a soul. Very deep concept, and cleverly put into this song. Absolutely brilliant.

2. My Ashes

Slow song, with an awesome chorus. It sounds like it's about something nostalgic. Very good soong. The keyboard tunes on this blend brilliantly with this song...it's very ambient, and moody. I love it.

3. Anesthetize

This is a 17 minute mammoth song full of highs and lows, heavy metal, and chilled out groove at the end. What is there to describe, just put on your ear phones, kick back, relax, and listen away to this breathtaking masterpiece. It's structured into three separate parts, so it's kind of like 3 songs combined into one.

4. Sentimental

Another slow song. This has a very modern feel to it. It's a sad song, also delving into the chaotic world of confused and depressed youth. Very moving.

5. Way Out of Here

Starts off slow, but the when the chorus bursts it's really really good. Also has a heavy-metal riff, that sort of fits in well with this song. It comes out of no where, but makes sense, and pretty much "completes" the track.

6. Sleep Together

Reminded me a bit of Radiohead. It's an ok song, and a nice ending to this dark and mysterious album.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Rhizoid
Oct 3, 2004
  • Thread Starter #7
    Nice, we have a hardcore fan here. :D

Trust me, if you've never listened to this band before, this is a good album to listen to.

I like the philosophical theme around it too, because it is something we should be concerned about.

I saw my 13 year old cousin the other weekend just tuned out of this world, and 200% focused on his PC playing World of Warcraft. He is so dedicated to earning higher "XP" and making a reputation on "WOW" he stays for hours playing the game talking to nobody.

Well he;s a smart kid and all, top performer in school...but he's just zoned out.

This is one of the many fears in the information age. Kids being provided with too much easily accessible information at such an early age, that they lack any form of curiousity about the world around them. Hence they grow up without a soul, not appreciating anything in life.

The songs on this album surround these particular matters, it's very interesting...(for those who care, I guess)

Apr 15, 2006
    True yea.

"Arriving Somewhere but not Here" from Deadwing - is one of the best songs I've ever heard...:agree:
    Amen to that! :heart: i also love Gravity Eyelids, Deadwing, Lazarus. Mellotron Scratch, Glass Arm Shattering, Creator has a mastertape, sound of muzak.... i only got the 3 albums i mentioned above! so im not really a hardcore fan!

but i AM a Dream Theater Fanboi! :D

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

@vlat

Rush is the shyte!!! :smoke: interesting how they've never borken up or changed a band member! great people!
    :agree:

Rush is a great band by all means, though they did have one change in line-up. Their current drummer, Neil Peart, wasn't in the band from the beginning, he replaced some guy called Rusty, Rutsey, can't remember how exactly he was called.

Anyway they are a really innovative band, their sound has changed 10 times over the close to 40 years they exist. Though I prefer their music from the early beginnings while they were still good old rnr, the classics lik Working Man, Finding My Way, etc.. At later years they became a little too progressive for my taste, which is more your cup of tea I presume.

Anywho I've gots to give their new album Snakes and Arrows a listen one of these days. Have you heard it?

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
    Aug 1, 2002
    Somewhere I read that you like Back Street Boys, and now Limp Bizkit. What year are you in? Or rather how old are you :p??
    hahahah I'm F*cking with u guys, Rhizoid (Haytham) is a good friend of mine and I always give him shit about commercial music which he HATES!! It's fun to get him all worked up.

OP
    Rhizoid
    Oct 3, 2004
  • Thread Starter #19
    Yeah I have four of their albums...I heard the last one in the store many times, and I thought it sucked so I never got it.

I think Origin of Symmetry is their best ever work. Also the Hullaballoo B-Sides + Live concert is amazing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)