Official - Rooney signs for Manchester united (1 Viewer)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
I dont know if its a great move for MU, but certainly is for Rooney. He can only improve there.
Can he improve though? He has Ruud van Nistelrooy, Alan Smith, and Louis Saha to compete with. Somebody's gonna be the loser in playing time, and all fingers point to Wayne-o. :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

River

Jun 15, 2004
Im pretty sure he'll be put ahead of Saha. And MU always rotate their forwards alot anyway. FA cup etc. So he will have plenty of chance to earn his place which im sure he will do.

Always i wouldnt bet on van Nistelrooy not being sold next season perhaps ;)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Art^ ] ++
Saha, Ronaldo, Rooney and Ruud. Thats alot to choose from!
Don't forget Bellion :nervous: to be honest I think Saha will get dropped. Smith has been playing great recently, and while I think Saha is more technically gifted than Smith, Alan makes up for it with his spirit and determination. As River said though, Man U do a lot of player rotation so I think they'll all get a fair amount of playing time, although I think Ruud will be somewhat of a fixture in the starting lineup

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Yep , even smith wont play much , cuz i think Sir alex , is gonna choose , Rooney and Ruud as a starting players ! hope they wont get along these 2:p:p...

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Can he improve though? He has Ruud van Nistelrooy, Alan Smith, and Louis Saha to compete with. Somebody's gonna be the loser in playing time, and all fingers point to Wayne-o. :D
And that's why Man U paid 37 million euros?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
IMO, all fingers point to Saha. Smith is the most like van Nistelrooy in playing style, but he's complimentary enough to play with him effectively, and he's the type of player Ferguson loves. He's also had an excellent start to the season. Rooney is possibly the most suitable style-wise to partner van Nistelrooy, and that partnership will probably be given a run to prove itself when they're both fit. Rooney'll do well.

Saha is clearly fourth choice in my books. He's perhaps not a whole lot worse than Smith (some argue he's better) but Smith has the attitude Ferguson loves so much. The question is whether or not he'll be okay with so much time on the bench.

That said, Man U at their peak had Cole, Yorke, Sheringham and Solskjaer, and Ferguson managed to keep them all happy.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

IMO, all fingers point to Saha. Smith is the most like van Nistelrooy in playing style, but he's complimentary enough to play with him effectively, and he's the type of player Ferguson loves. He's also had an excellent start to the season. Rooney is possibly the most suitable style-wise to partner van Nistelrooy, and that partnership will probably be given a run to prove itself when they're both fit. Rooney'll do well.

Saha is clearly fourth choice in my books. He's perhaps not a whole lot worse than Smith (some argue he's better) but Smith has the attitude Ferguson loves so much. The question is whether or not he'll be okay with so much time on the bench.

That said, Man U at their peak had Cole, Yorke, Sheringham and Solskjaer, and Ferguson managed to keep them all happy.
Well Solskjaer was always known as a supersub and loved the job. I'm not sure if Saha will like this role. If Sir Alex is to keep them all happy, it will be a tough task. Players will get disgruntled at every little thing, like Miccoli has in recent hours.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Well Solskjaer was always known as a supersub and loved the job. I'm not sure if Saha will like this role. If Sir Alex is to keep them all happy, it will be a tough task. Players will get disgruntled at every little thing, like Miccoli has in recent hours.
Ferguson has shown a ruthlessness with moaners I've rarely seen in anyone else. Ask Dwyght Yorke, or Andre Kanchelskis. If Saha isn't happy, he'll get shipped out at the end of the season, and we'll probably never hear of him again.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
I think this is the worst thing for Rooney. All of 18 years and hes signed up with Man U. The expectations are going to rise, his temperament will need to mature a lot quicker than with everton and he will play with a lot more pressure than he is used to. Was just reading an article on soccernet, where Rooney's said he doesnt need advice from his new teammates or fergie.
Well the arrogance has probably already gone to his head, let see how this one ends up.

PS: And for the record, he definitely isnt as good as Pele or anyone else in the history books.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
I think this is the worst thing for Rooney. All of 18 years and hes signed up with Man U. The expectations are going to rise, his temperament will need to mature a lot quicker than with everton and he will play with a lot more pressure than he is used to. Was just reading an article on soccernet, where Rooney's said he doesnt need advice from his new teammates or fergie.
Well the arrogance has probably already gone to his head, let see how this one ends up.
Again, Ferguson will kick him into shape. There's an old story of Ferguson turning up on the doorstep at a party a young Ryan Giggs and Lee Sharpe (then considered a bright young talent too) were hosting. A girl answers the door, a bottle of beer in each hand. Ferguson storms in, and kicks everyone out, except Giggs and Sharpe, who get something of an earful. True story: recounted by Ryan Giggs.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Mik, the story maybe true. But i dont think Fergie has that sort of energy in him anymore. And boy the money spent on him, was a WASTE. He is not worth anything close to that amount. And hes actually going to think he was. I just dont get why English players are so hyped up. (With due respect to the fans here).

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I think he does Baggio. As for why they get hyped up, it's simple:
when's the last time England won anything? It hurts a lot of their, shall we say, less intelligent fans, and every potential messiah is paraded and slung on a pedistal.

For fans of smaller clubs too, the bright young thing is a welcome distraction from the fact that you're three points off religation and the guys behind you are five unbeaten while you couldn't beat a chicken in a sack.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Thats understable to an extent when you say less intelligent fans. But i dont know if you read this during the Euro, where someone said compared Rooney to Pele. Do these people actually lose touch with reality?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)