Official - Rooney signs for Manchester united (1 Viewer)

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
Thats understable to an extent when you say less intelligent fans. But i dont know if you read this during the Euro, where someone said compared Rooney to Pele. Do these people actually lose touch with reality?
Actually he was compared to Baggio. By someone who had worked with Baggio at Rooneys age. (Was it Sven? I cant remember). But anyways the person said that Rooney is better at 18 than Baggio was at 18. No one said he is as good as Baggio.

Also talking about him being hyped up. Its professional managers and players that are hyping him up, like Henry, Ferguson, Wenger, Sven. Surely they know what they are talking about.

Though I totally understand why people get annoyed by the way the English press work. But people need to stop rating a player based on that. Rooney may be overrated. But to say he isnt a fantastic young player (easily the best in England and amoungst the best in europe) then I guess you havent been watching or you dont want to accept it.

Buy on AliExpress.com

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Riv, i distinctly remember the player in question was Pele. And it wasnt Sven Goran's comparison either.

And thats very sad if not anything else. I dont see Wenger or Fergie saying Henry will decide the championship, when in all truth, he would be a main contender to do so. The fact remains, Henry isnt English so he isnt going to enjoy the tabloid attention irrespective of the fact that he is one of the best players in the EPL (the best imo)

Yes, the English press can be bloody annoying when it comes to their team. Iv'e seen Rooney play and i accept he is talented. But the kid is only 18 for crying out loud. He's got a really long way to go to prove his worth. Under no stretch of imagination was the money paid for him worth his services. He's younger than most of us here! Do you actually think he will reach where he can if people go on hyping his genius? And there's nobody but the press to blame. Who gives four fvcks if he visited whore houses, we dont want half page articles about how he's going to mend his ways or bend them further. Seriously, he should be left alone for his own good. And if that doesnt happen, its only the press to blame.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I just know one thing about Rooney....

the guy is GOOD.

A very promosing star...and possibly a future world class hero.-

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #44
    But too expensive. What was it, around 40 mil €? 2.5 Zlatans?

Would you rather have 2 Zlatans or a Rooney?

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
    It was right of Manchester to buy Rooney instead of Zlatan. Rooney is a perfect player for their system and it makes a whole lot of difference that he is english.

Let me finish with a the words of a disappointed Everton fan:
    "Could have been a god but chose to be a devil."

River

Jun 15, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
    Riv, i distinctly remember the player in question was Pele. And it wasnt Sven Goran's comparison either.

And thats very sad if not anything else. I dont see Wenger or Fergie saying Henry will decide the championship, when in all truth, he would be a main contender to do so. The fact remains, Henry isnt English so he isnt going to enjoy the tabloid attention irrespective of the fact that he is one of the best players in the EPL (the best imo)

Yes, the English press can be bloody annoying when it comes to their team. Iv'e seen Rooney play and i accept he is talented. But the kid is only 18 for crying out loud. He's got a really long way to go to prove his worth. Under no stretch of imagination was the money paid for him worth his services. He's younger than most of us here! Do you actually think he will reach where he can if people go on hyping his genius? And there's nobody but the press to blame. Who gives four fvcks if he visited whore houses, we dont want half page articles about how he's going to mend his ways or bend them further. Seriously, he should be left alone for his own good. And if that doesnt happen, its only the press to blame.
    I thought you were talking about the baggio thing. And Henry gets his fair share of tabloid attention. Henry doesnt do stupid things in his personal life so he dosent make the front pages. But really sounds like your talking about during Euro2004 here. The tabloids are always crazy at this time.

And i just find it hypocritical that people hate rooney for this when im pretty sure the same happens in Italy and nothing is said about it. Maybe you dont get to see that press. If Pirlo had been the success Rooney was im sure the Italian papers would have been having a field day aswell.

Zlatan true that was alot of money to spend. But MU can well afford it and IMO Rooney is worth alot more than Zlatan right now.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by River ] ++

Actually he was compared to Baggio. By someone who had worked with Baggio at Rooneys age. (Was it Sven? I cant remember). But anyways the person said that Rooney is better at 18 than Baggio was at 18. No one said he is as good as Baggio.
    That's because Baggio wasn't a buffalo at the ago of 18.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003

Henry doesnt do stupid things in his personal life so he dosent make the front pages.
    Well, he beat up Lauren last year. But IMO, though I'm pretty alone in that :D , he did so correctly. Lauren should have passed it to Henry who could have then easily scored, but he chose to go for his own good and glory, which isn't how you should behave.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003

Yeah thats relevent :rolleyes:
    Of course it's relevant. I'm rather small (1m75) and it's really hard to keep standing sometimes. I play at no.10 so I get kicked down a lot and it really is a big advantage if you're strong. By the way, it's a GOOD thing Rooney's a buffalo.

River

Jun 15, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Seven ] ++

Of course it's relevant. I'm rather small (1m75) and it's really hard to keep standing sometimes. I play at no.10 so I get kicked down a lot and it really is a big advantage if you're strong. By the way, it's a GOOD thing Rooney's a buffalo.
    Yeah but when comparing them its silly. Baggio wasnt/never became a Buffalo. And not all Buffalos are better, think Heskey :D

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++
    It was right of Manchester to buy Rooney instead of Zlatan. Rooney is a perfect player for their system and it makes a whole lot of difference that he is english.

Let me finish with a the words of a disappointed Everton fan:
    "Could have been a god but chose to be a devil."
    ...i like this...

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
    I just know one thing about Rooney....

the guy is GOOD.

A very promosing star...and possibly a future world class hero.-
    Would you pay 40 mil for him?
    The point is, he is good. But that doesnt mean anything. He's only 18 years of age, and his talent needs to be nurtured if he is going to get anywhere. Being good isnt good enough. You need to grow and he has a long long way to go before he's hailed as a god.

Mikhail put it really well when he said that everyone is put on a pedestial, simply because of all the years that have gone by without success.

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
    We Had To Have Rooney - Ferguson

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson explained that Newcastle’s offer for Wayne Rooney forced the Red Devils to move for a player they “could not afford to miss out on.”
    The 18-year-old England striker completed his move to Old Trafford in a deal potentially worth up to £30 million to the Toffees shortly before the transfer window closed.

Ferguson told reporters: "I’ve known his potential for a long time, but the way he has played in the last three years has been phenomenal. We could not afford to miss him.

The United boss said that at the end of last season, "The vibes I was getting from (Everton manager) David Moyes were that he wasn’t for sale.

"Once we knew Everton were talking to another club then we had to do something. If Newcastle had not come in, we would not be here today."

Ferguson also revealed that United’s interest in Rooney had been long-standing. "We first knew about Rooney a few years ago when we got a call from a senior player [at United] who knew something about him. He was too young then, but we showed an interest when he was 14.

"I can understand the emotions from Everton fans. They regard themselves as a big club and I do. They are a great club and have great fans. But there is an opportunity to play European football for Wayne and Everton at the moment don’t do that.

"This club has big ambitions to do well all the time."

Asked when Rooney, who is recovering from a foot injury suffered at Euro 2004, will be available for selection, Ferguson said it was too early to give a definitive answer.

"Wayne is going for a scan tomorrow, but he’s not far away. It’s two or three weeks hopefully, he’s doing some running and trained this morning, but we’ll be better placed tomorrow."

As for the player himself, Rooney admitted: "It’s been a tough week for everybody connected with me. I made it clear I wanted to leave Everton and when I knew about the bid from United there was only one place I was going to go.

"I’m very excited. The players that play here are unbelievable, the club has fans all over the world and hopefully I can do well."

He added: "Over the last year I have matured a lot on and off the pitch. You have to because a lot of people are trying to bring you down.

"You have to forget about all that and get on with your football."

Questioned about whether he felt he had betrayed the fans at Everton, Rooney replied: "I have supported them all my life and played for them for two years which made it even more difficult.

"It’s tough for Evertonians because I’d come through and they saw me as their own. But I wanted to move on with my career.

"I knew that I wanted to further my career and play in the Champions League.

"After Euro 2004 I made up my mind that I had to get to a bigger club. I wanted to play with the big players week in, week out."

"I wanted Champions League football so Manchester United were the right club for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)