Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Thread (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christina

vanilla pudding
Aug 21, 2006
Cannavaro: These things happen

Stricken skipper Fabio Cannavaro will stay with the Italy squad in Austria in spite of being ruled out of Euro 2008 and is keeping positive.

Italy were dealt a huge blow yesterday when Cannavaro damaged ligaments in his ankle in a tackle with Giorgio Chiellini in training.

It was confirmed last night that Canna’s Euro 2008 was over before it began, but the Real Madrid man doesn’t want to return home yet.

“I asked Donadoni to let me stay with the squad,” he revealed. “It only seems right after two years of work together.

“I’m disappointed because I was so pumped up and it would have been my third and final European Championship. But now I have set 2010 as my objective.”

Chiellini, who was unwittingly responsible for Cannavaro’s injury, was reportedly devastated by events and broke down in tears last night.

“I comforted Chiellini,” Canna said. “He was in pieces, but it was important not to lose two players instead of one.

“I am a footballer and I know that these things happen and they must be taken as challenges.

“The thing that relaxes me is knowing that my colleagues are great professionals who are attached to the shirt.”

“I still have such a strong desire to play and I haven’t thought about quitting. I’m hoping to return in two months.”

Cannavaro will be operated on by Azzurri doctor Andrea Ferretti tomorrow.

------------
So true. :tup:

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
if hes even considering panucci in that central role, then Italy might as well pack their bags and head to their holidays from now. That guy is not a CB by any means of the imagination.

What i am interested in from all of this is to see what type of performances a certain Andrea Barzagli will put out.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
Not only he has proved that he can play 90min, but he has also proved that likes of Di Natale and even Cassano shouldn't really have a chance and compete with him.

But this will never change, it's more like a mexican serial movie, the same dilemma we keep hearing same BS.

I'm not pointing out this to Andries, because I know he doesn't think this way. But anyone who still insist that Del Piero hasn't got 90min in his feet is a retarded prick and should probably learn a thing or two about this game.

Romario has made an impact and the only one who helped Brazil to qualify to the WC 06, yet Ronaldo was chose because Ronaldo is Ronaldo and you need champions and world class players in your squad.

Del Piero hadn't had too much of an impact because he wasn't used properly in this team. When you have champions in your team, world class players, you build the formation relying on every player's position.....not as the coach's wish.

Imagine you play Paolo Maldini as a winger? You expect him to pass or to fail? What about Mauro Camoranesi as a CB? What do you expect him? to pass right?

Del Piero was playing in a position he isn't used to and against whom? FRANCE??? give me a fucking break. What failure are you talking about. Play him in his natural position and then judge his performance....But don't play him out of position and then say he has failed you.

Donadoni is anything but a coach, like I said, you build your squad depending on what kind of champions you have. Team such as Italy, having players on Cannavaro's level to Del Piero and Buffone tc....World champions If I'm not mistaken, you create the formation that suits these champions, not because you like the 4-3-3 you play one out of his position..

Del piero's best position is as support forward for Juventus where he had played for years, partnering Trezeguet with support from Nedved, Sissoko and Camoranesi and Ranieri as coach.

But in Italy national team he has to adapt to midfield of Gattuso, Pirlo, Ambrosini, Perotta or De Rossi whose plays their best position in Milan or Roma with other people as coach.

Donadoni's job is to create a balance working system using GROUP of players from different working system that can achive stable steading winning result to ONE italian national team. It is most definately not his job to impress and safeguard feelings and emotional beeing of the players and Azzuri7, by gurateeing all players can roam free on the pitch and play like they play with respective club side. He is anything but a coach if his main focus is to do just that.

if Del Piero hadn't had too much of an impact/ isn't used to/ unnatural/ uncustom to/ not confortable with/ unsuitable for/ dislike/ dont have quality for/ not born for/ conflicting/ discordant/ improper/ inadequate/ inapplicable/ inappropriate/ inapt/ incongruent/ incongruous/ inept/ infelicitous/ inharmonious/ inopportune/ unacceptable/ unbecoming/ unbefitting/ unfit/ unsuited/ untimely/ useless/ incongruous/unseemly to play on the left wing/forward position then whose to blame? The player or the coach?

Sorry to say but considering the steady result during qualifying campaign thats the best possible position available for you, pal! Either you want to fight, make the position your own and move forward with the team, or continue to be inhesitant and conceed the fight to someone else who want to.

Creating other excuses, words or language for it is just tooo soft and lame ......

Winning team? lol, yea right. Lithuania, Georgia, Ukraine wouldn't really agree with you on this.
http://www.euro2008.uefa.com/tournament/teams/team=66/index.html

Qualifying round02/09/06 v Lithuania (H) 1 - 1
06/09/06 v France (A) 1 - 3
07/10/06 v Ukraine (H) 2 - 0
11/10/06 v Georgia (A) 3 - 1
28/03/07 v Scotland (H) 2 - 0
02/06/07 v Faroe Islands (A) 2 - 1
06/06/07 v Lithuania (A) 2 - 0
08/09/07 v France (H) 0 - 0 ( DP LAST Q/L GAME)
12/09/07 v Ukraine (A) 2 - 1
13/10/07 v Georgia (H) 2 - 0
17/11/07 v Scotland (A) 2 - 1
21/11/07 v Faroe Islands (H) 3 - 1

Result after france look steady and stable so the player and formation should not be broken heading into EURO.

Lithuania, Georgia, Ukraine lost HOME and AWAY so i dont see them arguing too much which is the winning team.

Group B Pld W D L GF GA Pts
Italy 12 9 2 1 22 9 29
France 12 8 2 2 25 5 26
Scotland 12 8 0 4 21 12 24
Ukraine 12 5 2 5 18 16 17
Lithuania 12 5 1 6 11 13 16
Georgia 12 3 1 8 16 19 10
Faroe Islands 12 0 0 12 4 43 0

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Di Natale is better suited to Donadoni's preferred system, that shouldn't even be up for debate. Del Piero will be used but if Donadoni starts with the 4-3-2-1/4-3-3 against Holland Di Natale should be in the team.

francesco

Till death do us part!
Jul 25, 2006
Di Natale is better suited to Donadoni's preferred system, that shouldn't even be up for debate. Del Piero will be used but if Donadoni starts with the 4-3-2-1/4-3-3 against Holland Di Natale should be in the team.
yes with the 4-3-3 Donadoni must play with Di Natale-Toni-Camoranesi as it is very versatile. Di Natale and Camo can drop back into midfield with Toni as loan striker if need be. DP doesnt like playing on the wing, this was obvious in the game vs France. DP must be played as a Trequartista behind the front 2, or as a striker.

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
Cannavaro To Stay On With Team

Fabio Cannavaro has shown the spirit of a true captain by insisting on remaining with the Azzurri squad despite being ruled out of Euro 2008 due to an ankle injury.

The 34-year-old suffered the injury after a collision with Giorgio Chiellini in Italy's first training session yesterday, and has since been officially replaced on the squad by Fiorentina’s Alessandro Gamberini.

"I've asked the coach to stay on with the team. It seems right to me after two years of working together," the World champion told a packed press conference at the Azurri's Austrian base.

"It's my last chance to experience a EURO. I'll be an ordinary spectator but I hope to be useful."

When pressed on whether he was worried about the injury being potentially career-threatening, the Real Madrid defender simply smiled and said "You'll have to put up with me for another two years.

"For me this accident is a challenge, to be able to return to the highest level. I had planned to stop after the EURO, but now, my challenge is to reach the 2010 World Cup. I have no fears for my career."

Chiellini reportedly broke down in tears after discovering that the Azzurri captain had been ruled out of the tournament as a result of their training ground collision, but Cannavaro insists that he harbours no hard feelings whatsoever.

"I comforted him. He was broken. I told him that it wasn't his fault. We lost a player - it's not worth losing a second.

Goal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)