Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I see why people would dislike Cassano and I see the obvious disadvantages of his character, but if Italy want to have any chances of winning the Euros they need him, it's as simple as that. Especially now the defense is rather shabby, you cannot leave a forward like that at home.

Aug 1, 2003
Antonio Cassano has been involved in his first run-in during the Azzurri’s Euro 2008 training in Austria.

Roberto Donadoni chose to put his trust in the fiery Sampdoria hitman instead of Milan veteran Pippo Inzaghi when choosing his 23-man squad for this summer’s Austrian adventure.

Despite his superb form this term and undoubted talent Cassano’s temperament has always been questionable.

And his angry side reared its ugly head again yesterday when the former Roma man reacted furiously to a fair challenge from defender Giorgio Chiellini.

Cassano picked himself up and gestured rudely at the defender, who is still ridden with guilt after inadvertently injuring skipper Fabio Cannavaro.

The Bari native’s actions didn’t seem to be motivated by Chiellini’s challenge on Cannavaro, as minutes later he put in a horror tackle on Wolfsburg new boy Andrea Barzagli.

Donadoni was forced to step in to silence Cassano and also needed to calm tensions in the dressing room after the session.

While the players are believed to have buried the hatchet, the incident will be welcome fuel for Cassano’s detractors and a worry for Don, who is still reeling from the loss of his inspirational captain.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
It is great, it will be even greater when Materazzi tackles Pirlo and sends him to the sidelines for four months as well. Also Chiellini tackling Luca Toni and forcing him out is not that bad.
:eyebrows: :eyebrows:

I like the sound of it.
Then Zambrotta, Gattuso and Ambrosini getting injured and we're done.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Donadoni Hints At Chiellini To Replace Canna
Roberto Donadoni appears to be moving towards a centre back partnership of Andrea Barzagli and Giorgio Chiellini for Monday’s Euro 2008 opener against Holland.

The Azzurri go into the match in Berne with some real problems in defence after inspirational World Cup-winning captain Fabio Cannavaro was ruled out of the tournament due to an ankle injury.

Andrea Barzagli is certain to take one of the centre back positions, but Donadoni appears to have ruled out the chance of Christian Panucci taking the other. With Marco Materazzi still not fully fit, it seems as if Giorgio Chiellini will partner Barzagli at centre back.

"I do not want to lose another man after having already lost Cannavaro,” Donadoni told La Stampa.

“There are players for that role [not Panucci who is a natural right back] and initially I favour them.”

Many people believe Italy may struggle without Cannavaro at the back, but Donadoni has confidence in the rest of his defenders.

"I think that the defenders who have come in during the last two years have done more than well,” he explained.

“For example, we've already been without Materazzi for a while and Barzagli did not let anyone down.”

goal.com

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Cassano & Chiellini Kiss & Makeup

Antonio Cassano and Giorgio Chiellini have buried the hatchet following yesterday’s explosive training ground spat.

Cassano went berserk during the Azzurri’s training session in Austria, reacting furiously to a fair tackle from Chiellini.

The Sampdoria man then made a number of rude gestures at the Juve defender, and reportedly goaded him about the challenge he made on Tuesday that forced Fabio Cannavaro out of the tournament with an injury.

Cassano and Chiellini (pictured above) have now kissed and made up over the incident, and were spotted hugging during this morning’s training session.

Cassano also had a lengthy conversation with Coach Roberto Donadoni, covering his mouth up in trademark fashion so that the press couldn’t lip-read what he was saying.

News of Cassano and Chiellini’s reconciliation is welcome news to the Azzurri team, who are still coming to terms with the loss of their inspirational captain Cannavaro.

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
So the defence line will Probably look like:

--Zambro--Barzagli--Chiellini--Grosso--

(it's been along time since i wrote Zambro's name in formation....)

I'd prefer this to putting Zambro on the left and Panucci right.

Thunderball

May 4, 2007
So the defence line will Probably look like:

--Zambro--Barzagli--Chiellini--Grosso--

(it's been along time since i wrote Zambro's name in formation....)

I'd prefer this to putting Zambro on the left and Panucci right.
Probably... though I kind of think Materazzi would be a better partner for Chiellini than Barzagli. Either way, you can bet both will be getting earfuls from Buffon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)