Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Thread (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
Fuck that is awful news. The only players which would be worse to lose are Buffon, Pirlo and Toni. Although i will miss him alot I'm not all that worried Barzagli was impressive against belgium i admit and Chiellini and Matrix should do well also. I am not worried about our defense at all.
Believe me, being impressive against Belgium doesn't mean he will be good enough against France, Holland or whatever other team Italy might face in the Euro's.
This is a big blow for Italy, hopefully Barzagli or Chiellini will be able to step up now.
Anyway, whoever will play now, will be able to show he has the quality to perform on the highest level, neither Chiellini nor Barzagli had that chance until now.
In serieA, they both showed they can do well, but now they will have to show us what they can do on an International level.

francesco

Till death do us part!
Jul 25, 2006
i woke up this morning to this dreadful news, i was praying that i was only dreaming! i feel like crying, our defense without Canna just isnt right. I pray that Nesta comes out of retirement, although that seems highly unlikely.
Gamberini to be called up? i think he wont see the field unless Matrix, Barzagli and Chiellini get injured or suspended.
A Matrix/Barzagli partnership doesnt seem very safe to me, Barzagli really only impresses when he is playing beside Canna and i dont see Matrix as a leader.
A Matrix/Chiellini partnership to me seems dangerous, they both like jumping into tackles and are very rough at times, which could also end in disaster.
My favoured partnership would be Nesta/Matrix as Nesta plays similar to Canna and is an obvious leader. He has experience and knows what it takes to play for the Azzurri. Hopefully Canna will speak to him and tell him to reconsider his decision.
With Gamberini being called up, i see our defense lining up like this:
Zambrotta - Materazzi - Barzagli - Grosso

francesco

Till death do us part!
Jul 25, 2006
from Gazzetta dello Sport:

Cannavaro has injured ligaments in his left ankle, though he is not being dramatic. "I remain optimistic even in moments like this". Gamberini from Fiorentina will be called up, against the Netherlands there are many possible solutions; Panucci, Materazzi or Chiellini.

The diagnosis isnt good, Fabio waves goodbye to the Euro's before they even begin. After tests in Akh hospital in Vienna, he may require surgery but the final decision rests with Real Madrid.

Regarding the captaincy, it will go to Buffon with Del Piero as a possible alternative. Ultimately, the decision rests with Donadoni.

Also, some results from a couple polls from Gazzetta:
1. Cannavaro out, who is your choice to partner Barzagli in defense?
-Materazzi 42.3 %
-Chiellini 32.4 %
-Panucci 14.7 %
-Gamberini 10.6 %

2.Captaincy should go to?
-Buffon 58.6 %
-Del Piero (if he plays) 19.6 %
-Gattuso 13.0 %
-Pirlo 8.9 %

Brixity

Feb 8, 2006
Whatever the case, its a Juve man. But given that Gigi will be meant to play every minute and that he is the vice to Canna, I cant see anyone else getting the armband. Just imagine Buffon lifting the Euro cup..that would be utter magic if it happened.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
i always thought that in Italy the player with the most caps was given the armband. If Del Piero starts i think he will be captain if he doesnt it will be Buffon in that case. I feel gutted for Canna

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
yeah usually i dont like the goalie being the captain as i feel for large parst of the game they arent able to have an influence on the game especially the strikers but with Buffon and Italy its different because they will probably be defending more than attacking and Buffon is no ordinary keeper, one super save and he gives everyone a big confidence boost!

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
If Del Piero starts he's captain, if not it's Buffon. That's how the Italian system has been working for years and I don't think they should change it. It's so fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)