Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Carletto would be great too, I think he might even be better in the way that he hasn't been Azzurri coach and hasn't won anything with Italy yet. I think at sometime he stated that it is one of his unfulfilled dreams to coach Italy.

I remember seeing Milan in the playoff phase of 07's CL, which was close to perfection at times IMO. Great coach no question, that's why I don't think Milan is stupid enough to let him go that easily.
Ancelotti is a coach i rate high but it must be mentioned that the teams he coached were teams that could have won much even without a coach.
The Milan he coached from 2003-2006 was probably the best team in the world of the last 5 years.
He did win 2 CL's and a scudetto but he should have and must have won more with such a team.

Instead, Carlo Ancelotti managed to lose a 4:1 against La Coruna and a 3:0 lead in CL final with Liverpool.
Add the 99.99% won scudetto he managed to lose in 3 rounds (the scudetto we lost in 2000 against Perugia, after having 6pts advantage, 3 rounds before the end) and the 4th spot in serie A he lost in 37th round this year and you get a coach who continiously losses won matches.

Now, if it was only for the 2 defeats in CL with Milan, we could say that the problem could have been with the players. But he managed to lose a won thing with both Milan and Juve and i guess it's the coach , not the players who should be blamed.

Buy on AliExpress.com

juventus1897

Sep 19, 2006
Carlettos Juve time wasn't really that great, I admit. But I think he has grown alot since then. The Milan of the last couple of years was indeed great, but I don't think they could've handled seriously competing for more than one title.

I also think that the greatness of the team was not only due to individual efforts (altho Kaka and Pirlo are two great individuals, and not the only ones they've got), but mostly to the tactical greatness that Carletto instilled in them.

To be honest, I blame the '05 final loss to Liverpool squarely on the players. I can't see how that was a coaching error. Even if Carletto could have done something different a team with that kind of players has to bring a 3-0 game with 45 minutes to go home safely.

rvi

l'amour toujours
Apr 5, 2007
He's expected to get the boot sometime this week,and Lippi is still being touted to take the lead again but I'm not to certain thats going to happen.

---

Italy boss Donadoni expected to go within a week
ROME, June 24 (Reuters) - Roberto Donadoni’s time in charge of Italy is expected to end within a week following the world champions’ Euro 2008 quarter-final defeat by Spain, Italian media reported on Tuesday.

La Gazzetta dello Sport said Donadoni would be sacked on Wednesday, while the ANSA news agency said Italian Soccer Federation (FIGC) bosses would probably meet the coach next Monday or Tuesday to discuss terminating the contract.

Donadoni is set to be replaced by his predecessor, 2006 World Cup-winning boss Marcello Lippi, according to local media.

However, the FIGC denied a BBC report that Donadoni had already been dismissed. “There is nothing official,” an FIGC spokesman said.

On Monday, former AC Milan and Italy midfielder Donadoni said he had no intention of quitting after his team lost to Spain on penalties on Sunday.

Donadoni signed a two-year contract extension just before the tournament but FIGC would be able to terminate that now at a reduced cost thanks to an escape clause valid for 10 days from the end of Italy’s campaign.

Mar 3, 2008
Ancelotti is a coach i rate high but it must be mentioned that the teams he coached were teams that could have won much even without a coach.
The Milan he coached from 2003-2006 was probably the best team in the world of the last 5 years.
He did win 2 CL's and a scudetto but he should have and must have won more with such a team.

Instead, Carlo Ancelotti managed to lose a 4:1 against La Coruna and a 3:0 lead in CL final with Liverpool.
Add the 99.99% won scudetto he managed to lose in 3 rounds (the scudetto we lost in 2000 against Perugia, after having 6pts advantage, 3 rounds before the end) and the 4th spot in serie A he lost in 37th round this year and you get a coach who continiously losses won matches.

Now, if it was only for the 2 defeats in CL with Milan, we could say that the problem could have been with the players. But he managed to lose a won thing with both Milan and Juve and i guess it's the coach , not the players who should be blamed.
He probably should've won more scudetti, but more CL? WTF?
A coach who won 2 CL in 5 years, is a great achievement, besides he did not have the best team in the world,(e.g Juve in 2004-2005 and 2005-2006 was defianately better)

Christina

vanilla pudding
Aug 21, 2006
FIGC have denied sacking the Don, and say that they will make their decision soon.

“Any decision will be made over the next few days,” assured the Federation, when a meeting is planned between Donadoni and President Giancarlo Abete.

juventus1897

Sep 19, 2006
FIGC have denied sacking the Don, and say that they will make their decision soon.

“Any decision will be made over the next few days,” assured the Federation, when a meeting is planned between Donadoni and President Giancarlo Abete.
Typical media dance :disagree: Gotta hate this "it's not official 'til it's official" bullshit. Cat's out of the bag, announce it already!

Btw: Italian poll saw 70-80% wanting Lippi back. They're not gonna go against that. At least not for the "sacking Don" part.

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
the poll results dont surprise me at all. Choosing between a clown and a master tactitian.

If lippi does get back in he needs to freshen the giro azzurri up with some young ambitious players or come SA 2010 we won't get past the quarters.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
He probably should've won more scudetti, but more CL? WTF?
A coach who won 2 CL in 5 years, is a great achievement, besides he did not have the best team in the world,(e.g Juve in 2004-2005 and 2005-2006 was defianately better)
He should have won much more when you look at the way he lost some things.

Milan had the best team in the world in 2004 and yet he failed miserably to La Coruna, after winning the first leg 4:1.
He lost a won CL final in 2005.
In 2005 and 2006 Milan weren't worse than Juve. I don't know why do you think we were definitely better. We had a better coach with tactics suited for a long championship, but quality wise they were just as good as we were and they were more complete than us. We won the 2 scudetti because we didn't have to worry about CL anymore, while Milan were still playing in Europe (if you ask the Milan fans they'll tell you we won because we cheated ).
Ancelotti should have at least won one scudetto in 2005 and 2006 but he failed.

About last year people say that Milan won the CL with a weak team and that Ancelotti brought them the CL, but if you compare Milan's starting XI from 2007 with any other starting XI in the world, you'll see that Milan weren't inferior to anyone. Actually, they were better than most of them and it's Ancelotti's fault (and Calciopoli) that they never ever threatened Inter for the scudetto in 2007.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
tbh I don't see how his weak challenge for the Scudetto would make him any less qualified for the Italy job, Alen. I would say his CL runs is far more important, seeing how the CL is a knockout tournament just like the WC and Euro. and 3 CL finals in 5 years is phenomenal ,regardless of how some results went against him (don't forget that you have bad days, and luck plays a factor too)

add in the fact that the CL is of a higher quality players than the WC, and you'd have an ideal coach for the job.

Plus don't forget that Ancelotti took Milan to the CL competing for the CL, and Serie A, and he stil reached 3 finals. He would only for the Azzurri have to worry about 1 competition to focus his players on, which could potentially make his team much more dangerous.

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
true lion, Ancelotti offers genious tactical inovation too, he created the pirlo role, which has been the best tactical innovation since attacking wingbacks.
I think he would offer the azzurri a new dimension to their game.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
When did i say he isn't qualified for the Azzurri job ?
I only mentioned the weaknesses of his teams.
Be it Juve or Milan, his teams always relaxed when they thought that the job is done and it costed them a scudetto (Juve) and a CL (Milan).
And since it happened many times in important matches (Perugia, La Coruna, Liverpool and Napoli this year) Ancelotti must take big part of the blame.

I said i rate Ancelotti high. He would be a very good coach for Italy.

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
I know you didnt mate:), I was just pointing out some reasons why I believe he has become one of the worlds best coaches, I agree that he is a bit too laid back at times though. but with the pressure of one very demanding country on him I'm sure he'll pull his socks up.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I know you didnt mate:), I was just pointing out some reasons why I believe he has become one of the worlds best coaches, I agree that he is a bit too laid back at times though. but with the pressure of one very demanding country on him I'm sure he'll pull his socks up.
I was talking to Lion, not to you :)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Hopefully Donadoni will gloriously lead the Azzurri to South Africa in a few years.
Do they get automatic qualification? Because your statement can be interpreted as, hopefully Donadoni will not lead the Azzurri to South Africa in the coming year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)