Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Thread (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

juventus1897

Sep 19, 2006
The important thing is that's he's gonna be axed. What I'm not too happy about is the fact that Nesta and Totti are ready to join the Azzurri again. This should be an unconditional "love". They were chosen for the NT and refused, so that shouldn't give them the opportunity to choose the NT again.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
interesting article

Tuesday 24 June, 2008
Blog: Double Dutch

Italy's best performance of Euro 2008 was the crushing defeat to Holland and Susy Campanale feels they learned the wrong lessons from that night

The Italian media has been united in its condemnation of Roberto Donadoni following the European Championship exit and it is difficult to disagree considering the rather pathetic way they limped out against Spain.

The only other thing they all concur is that at least he had the "moral courage and intelligence" as one newspaper put it to realise he had to completely change his system and line-up after the Holland horror show. Yet if you look back over the full matches, that 3-0 defeat was their best performance.

The Azzurri went into this tournament with Donadoni's wide-eyed 4-3-3 system and a range of attacking talent to suit it. They ran at Holland and pushed them further than any team until Russia took a similar approach and won brilliantly.

Yes, they conceded three goals, but the first was thanks to an interpretation of the offside rule that defies all sense of logic and the other two were counters straight from goalline clearances.

The building blocks of a great and entertaining side were there, they just needed a more solid defence – and let's face it, anything without the lumbering Marco Materazzi and clueless Andrea Barzagli in the centre would match that requirement – and Daniele De Rossi helping to clean up in midfield.

A couple of weeks later the same squad tried to live down to every conceivable cliché about Italian football. The quarter-final with Spain was like getting into a time machine and seeing Giovanni Trapattoni flailing wildly on the bench.

There were no ideas, no sense of urgency and absolutely no belief. Donadoni had used the 4-3-3 throughout qualifying to great effect, so why buckle at the first sign of media pressure?

He didn't just do it once, he repeatedly followed exactly what the newspapers told him to do, whether it was "You must field Del Piero!" or a few days later "You must play Cassano! Del Piero's had his chance!" Journalists just love to be fickle, but a Coach cannot afford the same coquettish approach.

We saw glimpses of an Italy team that could have not only progressed in Euro 2008, but done so with pride and an answer to all the critics. Instead Donadoni and the typical impatience of his countrymen has sent them back to the dark ages.

Jun 13, 2007
It's very easy to say this all in hindsight but in all fairness, Donadoni really didn't have much of a choice but to change that formation. Another thing, the formation didn't exactly show glimpses of magic for the Italians as their two most dangerous shots on goal came from a brilliant pass from Cassano whoch we would rarely ever see again, and a Pirlo freekick.

Italy didn't threaten the Dutch enough with that formation and I disagree with the author here. Had Donadoni fielded the same formation against Romania, he would have been eaten alive by the press. At the time it was not at all sensible and it was clear changes were very much needed.

Patience is not a key in a tournament like this one. It's not a league season of 38 games. It contains 3 games and each team has to play its very best to qualify.

If Donadoni was at fault this tournament it would be because of his cowardice. He was afraid agianst Spain and almost wanted a penallty shootout. He was also afraid to take off the most out-of-form player this tournie, Luca Toni.

He was a little unlucky yes, but in the end he got what he deserved.

Christina

vanilla pudding
Aug 21, 2006
Reports: FIGC sack Don

The Italian Football Federation has sacked Roberto Donadoni, according to reports on BBC Sport.

There has been intense speculation surrounding Don’s future since Italy fell at the quarter-final stage of Euro 2008, losing a penalty shoot-out to Spain.

The Italian Press have been convinced that Marcello Lippi will return and that Donadoni will receive his marching orders before the end of the week.

The contract that the former Livorno tactician signed before the European Championships offer a rescission clause in the event that Italy failed to reach the semi-finals in Austria and Switzerland.

And according to BBC Sport, the FIGC have informed them that Donadoni will be released from his contract.

No official statement has been released yet from Donadoni or the FIGC.

channel 4
--------------
I hope so.

juventus1897

Sep 19, 2006
Yea I'm sure they'd tell BBC first and only, pompus brits :disagree: Anyhow, it's 99% certain that he's gonna be sacked, which will make me happy too.

So Lippi will be back, we'll win ever game in the WCQ and everybody is gonna be happy. BUT Don would have cruised thru that WCQ group as well, so we'll have to wait another two years to see what Lippi can do with the players at hand.

Anybdy think DP is gonna play any part in the Azzurri anymore? I'd like to think that Lippi would consider it, but...

cyril

Let's roll
Jul 6, 2006
Id love it if that happens, but when you think of it with your brain rather than your heart, its a long shot.

I have a question in 2006 why wasnt dp given more important role in the team? I know he played a couple of games and scored and all, but....

juventus1897

Sep 19, 2006
Id love it if that happens, but when you think of it with your brain rather than your heart, its a long shot.

I have a question in 2006 why wasnt dp given more important role in the team? I know he played a couple of games and scored and all, but....
Are you talking about the qualification or the world cup itself?

Well for one reason he wasn't essential to Lippi's team, but it goes without saying that he knew his qualities. I think that's why he even took him along to WC06, because the previous season wasn't all that great for DP, especially under Capello. I mean they barely took him along now, after the great season he had, imagine how it was two years ago (no, age does not matter that much).

Gilardino would have been the exact opposite, as I am sure Prandelli would have taken him to EURO 08 had he been the Azzurri coach, even tho Gilardino didn't have a great season (or two).

juventus1897

Sep 19, 2006
As much as id love to see Lippi coach Italy again,id rather have Ancelotti at the Italian NT.
Carletto would be great too, I think he might even be better in the way that he hasn't been Azzurri coach and hasn't won anything with Italy yet. I think at sometime he stated that it is one of his unfulfilled dreams to coach Italy.

I remember seeing Milan in the playoff phase of 07's CL, which was close to perfection at times IMO. Great coach no question, that's why I don't think Milan is stupid enough to let him go that easily.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I think Lippi is certain, apart from the fact that he hasn't signed yet. Newspapers in Italy are more concerned about his staff, they see Lippi as a sure bet.

That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Lippi is a genius and if he doesn't do well for Italy in 2010, I won't blame him. He's not the kind of coach who became a genius with one or two good ideas, but has been great for over a decade, constantly renewing his own thoughts and tactics.

It might be good for the NT in the sense that Lippi is almost uncontested as well. He has already won the World Cup, so no one could argue that he's not quality.

juventus1897

Sep 19, 2006
Well Seven, the possible return of both Totti and/or Nesta is already an issue and there's gonna be controversy no matter how Lippi decides. Let's face it, people (and press) will always argue, even with Lippi. It's just that Lippi will be able to handle it alot better than Don and noone will tell Lippi who to field and who to leave on the bench (at least not as much).

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Well Seven, the possible return of both Totti and/or Nesta is already an issue and there's gonna be controversy no matter how Lippi decides. Let's face it, people (and press) will always argue, even with Lippi. It's just that Lippi will be able to handle it alot better than Don and noone will tell Lippi who to field and who to leave on the bench (at least not as much).
Lippi is not as discussed as the Don. He was before the WC, but he silenced everyone by winning the damn thing. You may be misled because of the fact an odd 15% still opposes Lippi, but that's nothing compared to the 85% of Italians who have nothing but praise for the guy.

juventus1897

Sep 19, 2006
No I totally agree, I just meant that there's always gonna be an opposition, even if it's gonna be smaller and not as harsh with Lippi. It's never gonna be the way it should be: Everone supporting the chief because he is the best man for the job. Problem was that not many people thought that Don was that man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)