Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Qualifier thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
At this stage, I honestly couldnt care which team qualify out of France, Italia and Scotland. I think any of the three team has equally deserving case, and may the best on the day, qualify.

As for Ale, I think the criticism aimed at him was poor. Yes, Ale got muscled off too easily in the match, but he played out of position. But more importantly for me, his patner, Inzaghi, played one stinker of game as well. What did Inzaghi do in the entire match; one shot that hit the post. Inzaghi, and Ale, IMO, is not compatible anymore, because they lack speed, strength to unnerve opposition defence. For me the biggest problem has been Donadoni's unwillingness try out young kids. Rosina should have been capped at competitive match by now. The guy is unbelievable talent capable of matching Kaka's Messi's, Nasri's if he continue his development. That was one bit of penetration craving out to be used, and he couldnt even make the squad. And I felt Foggia was a good choice for the match. He is young, but he would have attributes which could trouble French. In the end, Donadoni got only himself to blame for giving run to youngsters, and continuely sticking with likes of Di Natale. One thing Lippi did as soon as he became the coach was to increase the depth of the squad, by trying many players. You cant say that about Donadoni. Part of that, media should take the blame, because fair enough to the man, he has been under pressure the moment he took over, so he never really had the confidence and time to build the team in his image with bringing up kids through the ranks, but still, he has been ultra conservative with caps.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
As expected, Italy could not beat France which is another proof that France is superior and that Italy won the WC only because of luck, Buffon and easier opponents.

Viva la France!!!

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Well I said it in blog and I am gonna say it again, it don't matter how talented you are if UEfa and Fifa keep coming up with stupid fixtures the public will always suffer.

There is not a bigger match in any of the qualifiers than France vs Italy and in both games, both teams were just starting their seasons and we have been robbed of seeing either team at their best.

In the 1st game, Italy's season had not even started and in this game they had only played 2 games so why the heaps of blame on Donadoni, I don't know when others are mainly to blame.

The game itself showed why I have always maintained that in the past 25 years or so, Baresi, Baggio, Maldini and Cannavaro have been head and shoulders above any Italy international

How some people were calling for Cannavaro to be replaced by Chiellini just beggared belief. Barzagli was as good as I always felt he is and Pirlo was just easily the best player on the pitch.

As for Dp, he ought to be embarassed that Diarra completely dominated him whether its with speed or power and his dilly dallying is getting too tiresome. Make up your mind and shoot for crying out loud.

De Rossi had a shocking first half but was better after the interval, gatusso was Gatusso. Camoranesi should never have started as he might have done more damage coming off the bench.

Has Di natale played this season at all? I thought he was in dispute with Udinese and seriously Lucarelli?

I say bring back Bobo, he cannot do worse than what Italy are offering upfront

As for France, Henry was absolute crap but he has not really played for a long time, lets not forget that, Malouda was good, Vieira and Makele were excellent and Ribery showed in flashes how good he can be

Italy were fortunate that Domenech is a donkey cos there would have been serious problems if Nasri was allowed to play

Italy looked so understandbaly tired after about an hour but France lacked the ambition to punish them

Thumbs down to the booing of the French anthem

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Are you fucking serious?:shocked:
As much as I hate to say this current Azzurri team is inferior to France IMO. French has far more invention and penetration in their team.

@ Denco

I agree that those who come up with fixturess should be shot dead. Italia vs France with victory either way paving a gap for Scotland to seriously knock out one of those teams with simple draw in their upcoming fixtures. That would have been some sight for any soccer fans.

However, I do not think Donadoni is free from blame. I feel sorry for the man, because he has been under pressure since the day he took over, and doing a job, which is virtually mission impossible being successor to Lippi, but tactically I am yet to be convinced, and more importantly, Donadoni has been as conservative as Trap when he was the manager.

FFS, Donadoni you are young guy with horizon far ahead, be inventive, and show some willingness to take risks. Trap was well into the age of retirement pension scheme by the time he took over Italia. I just cant understand his decision to stick with Di Natale. As you said, Di Natale hasnt even played a game this year, and he has hardly been impresseive anyway in the qualifiers upto now. I may be wrong, but Rosina hasnt even been capped. Are you kidding me? No disrespect to Di Natale, but he aint half the player Rosina is. And as you said Lucarelli was just a joke. He is a good club player, but that isnt enough to break it at international stage. After giving him 3 caps or so, Lippi quickly realized that, and moved on. I don't know why Donadoni is holding on to Lucarelli who is never going to make it if he doest now, because he isnt becoming any younger. Speaking of younster, where was Pazzini. Pazzini has terrific off the ball movement, and for distinctively average French back-four, he could have posed problem, especially to Thuram.

And France, they got one heck of team going forward. And apologies to Viera. I watched him with Inter, and I thought he was player of diminishing quality. I am still entirely convinced by Makelele, but Viera showed he still got it despite his age. I guess he is also sufferig Canna effect, playing for shit club team to play for.:D

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Italy’s injury crisis eases

The Azzurri’s preparations for Wednesday’s key Euro 2008 qualifier in Kiev have been hampered by injury, but three star men are nearing recovery.

A ring-rusty Italy squad has been further weakened for their vital September encounters by a series of injuries to important players.

After only managing a 0-0 draw with France at the San Siro, Roberto Donadoni knows his men must deliver away to Ukraine, but remains short-staffed.

Luca Toni was ruled out of the game against France with an injury sustained playing for Bayern Munich and has been replaced in the squad by Juventus' Vincenzo Iaquinta.

Having lost Marco Materazzi until December, Donadoni will be worried to see Gianluca Zambrotta and Christian Panucci less than fully fit and there are also question marks over Andrea Pirlo and Daniele De Rossi.

However, Azzurri doctor Andrea Ferretti has calmed fears in the peninsula by insisting that at least three of his patients will be ready for Wednesday.

“Pirlo and Zambrotta have been working seperately from the group on their respective problems. Andrea has a calf injury and Gianluca has muscle fatigue, but they are both recovering well,” Ferretti confirmed.

“De Rossi has blisters on his feet so he went to the gym instead of training, but that’s nothing to worry about – he’ll be fine.”

Donadoni is likely to employ a 4-2-3-1 formation with Pippo Inzaghi, Cristiano Lucarelli and Iaquinta set to compete for a lone striker role.

The Azzurri squad are set to touch down in Kiev in the early afternoon on Tuesday and will continue their preparations at the Stadio Olimpiyskiy.

channel 4

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
What a performance there by Vieira though..never thought he was still capable of performances like that.Him and Diarra were the best players in the French NT for me...Cannavaro and Pirlo were the best in the Italians...

Worst player award:Henry slightly edges Inzaghi on this one.

Dragula

Jul 17, 2006
all this talk about dp really pisses me off although i shouldn't be surprised a this always happens. He is always tthe scapegoat for poor azzuri performances. imo the coach did crap by playing him as a left flank in a highly defensive formation. we never looked like scoring and we were more concerned with not conceding a goal. On the left wing, DP consistantly had to come back to defend and Inzaghi can never score if he plays upfront by himself. we need a more attacking formation in Kiev if we have a hope of scoring. ffs we need to play DP as a forward. vs france the team played well defensively but never did much in attack because of the players donadoni used in his lame formation. i think we need to play like this:

--------------------------Pippo/Iaquinta
------Del Piero

---Foggia-------------------Camoranesi

-----------De Rossi---Pirlo

--Zambro--Canna----Barzagli----Oddo

------------------Buffon

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
As much as I hate to say this current Azzurri team is inferior to France IMO. French has far more invention and penetration in their team.

At the current time,France is superior to Italy.If Italy still had Totti and Nesta,id have no doubt in calling them the superior team.I was just amazed at how people still think that Italy won the world cup because of luck and Buffon only,whereas anyone who saw Italy play knows that Cannavaro was their best player,and arguably the best in the tournament.

tonykart

Feb 16, 2007
BUFFON

ZAMBROTTA - BARZAGLI - CANNAVARO - GROSSO

CAMORANESI - GATTUSO - PIRLO - DE ROSSI

QUAGLIARELLA

TONI​

If Toni is still injured, we should go with a Quagliarella/Inzaghi, Di Natale/Quagliarella, or Di Natale/Inzaghi attack. I would really like to see Miccoli get the call up for the Scotland game. He has been great and is probably the best SS in Italy behind Cassano who needs about a half a season to get into shape and then the position will be his.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Cesare: Donadoni is too green Tuesday 11 September, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cesare Maldini has launched a stinging attack on current Italy Coach Roberto Donadoni’s lack of international experience.

“He has a lot of experience on the field, but none at all on the bench – at least in terms of international competition – that would prepare him for this role,” said the man who took the Azzurri to the 1998 World Cup quarter-finals.

“Experience at that level counts for a great deal. I am not blaming him necessarily, but the team he picked against France was too weak physically.”

Many questions were raised when Donadoni was picked to take over from Marcello Lippi in the wake of the 2006 World Cup triumph.

A hero for Milan who won every trophy at club level, in terms of management his highest achievement was in Serie A with Livorno, where he was pressured into handing in his resignation.

After the Euro 2008 qualification was put back into doubt by the 0-0 with France on Saturday, Donadoni’s credentials are up for debate once again.

However, Maldini – the father of Rossoneri captain Paolo – also pointed the finger at the precocious international retirement of Francesco Totti and Alessandro Nesta.

“The 0-0 with France was not disastrous, as a defeat would have thrown everything into chaos. I think we were lacking something in terms of real world class quality in that game, as we felt the absence of heavyweights like Totti and Nesta.”

Gennaro Gattuso will also be suspended for Wednesday’s trip to Kiev, where a victory is essential to keep Ukraine behind them in Group B and maintain contact with the leading duo of France and Scotland.

“It will be a difficult game because their side is physically stronger than ours, despite the fact we have greater technique,” added Maldini.

“From here to the end of the qualifying campaign there are still quite a few matches, but every one is delicate.”

da_ledgeaun

The Juve Freak
Jun 2, 2007
BUFFON

ZAMBROTTA - BARZAGLI - CANNAVARO - GROSSO

CAMORANESI - GATTUSO - PIRLO - DE ROSSI

QUAGLIARELLA

TONI​

If Toni is still injured, we should go with a Quagliarella/Inzaghi, Di Natale/Quagliarella, or Di Natale/Inzaghi attack. I would really like to see Miccoli get the call up for the Scotland game. He has been great and is probably the best SS in Italy behind Cassano who needs about a half a season to get into shape and then the position will be his.
Gattuso is suspended for the Ukraine game,and i agree with the Quagliarella being called up though,he has been very consistent,i dont know why he is not even on the bench,instead Donadoni calls his former lover Lucarelli,and as for the midfield I think Aquilani and i believe Rosina is ready for the Azzurri and maybe even the no.10 shirt..

Italy better win this Donadoni,or else...

Sep 19, 2006
Well I said it in blog and I am gonna say it again, it don't matter how talented you are if UEfa and Fifa keep coming up with stupid fixtures the public will always suffer.

There is not a bigger match in any of the qualifiers than France vs Italy and in both games, both teams were just starting their seasons and we have been robbed of seeing either team at their best.

In the 1st game, Italy's season had not even started and in this game they had only played 2 games so why the heaps of blame on Donadoni, I don't know when others are mainly to blame.

The game itself showed why I have always maintained that in the past 25 years or so, Baresi, Baggio, Maldini and Cannavaro have been head and shoulders above any Italy international

How some people were calling for Cannavaro to be replaced by Chiellini just beggared belief. Barzagli was as good as I always felt he is and Pirlo was just easily the best player on the pitch.

As for Dp, he ought to be embarassed that Diarra completely dominated him whether its with speed or power and his dilly dallying is getting too tiresome. Make up your mind and shoot for crying out loud.

De Rossi had a shocking first half but was better after the interval, gatusso was Gatusso. Camoranesi should never have started as he might have done more damage coming off the bench.

Has Di natale played this season at all? I thought he was in dispute with Udinese and seriously Lucarelli?

I say bring back Bobo, he cannot do worse than what Italy are offering upfront

As for France, Henry was absolute crap but he has not really played for a long time, lets not forget that, Malouda was good, Vieira and Makele were excellent and Ribery showed in flashes how good he can be

Italy were fortunate that Domenech is a donkey cos there would have been serious problems if Nasri was allowed to play

Italy looked so understandbaly tired after about an hour but France lacked the ambition to punish them

Thumbs down to the booing of the French anthem
I agree on every word u said BUT u forgot a Very important player,for me Zambrotta was the Man of The Match.
I think that if it wasnt for him Ribery would have fucked Italy up.
I saw every game for Bayern this season & Ribery is on his Best form ever & If there was any other player on the left instead of Zambrotta,this match wouldnt have ended 0_0.

Without Totti & Toni,Italy are one of the weakest teams in Europe offensivly.
I am really glad Iaquinta was called for Ukraine,at least he can bring some pace to the front line.
It is a Must win game,having The best keeper & a very strong defence wont do it.

Christina

vanilla pudding
Aug 21, 2006
Donadoni rings the changes Tuesday 11 September, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roberto Donadoni claims he does not feel under pressure ahead of the must-win match in Ukraine, but considers a tactical overhaul.

The Coach and his Italy squad were roundly criticised in the local media for their 0-0 draw with France and following that result fell to third place in Euro 2008 qualifying Group B behind Les Bleus and Scotland.

“There is no particular pressure, as every match needs to be won,” he told Sky Italia television upon the team’s arrival in Kiev.

“Every time we end up repeating the same obvious platitudes. Each game is important and crucial to ensure our journey continues to be a positive one.”

Donadoni’s squad selection, tactics and lack of international experience all came under fire this week and sweeping changes are expected against Andriy Shevchenko’s Ukraine on Wednesday evening.

“It will be a difficult match against an opponent that wants to win. We are here to get a result and will battle it out with everything we’ve got.”

In tonight’s training session he split the squad into pairs and speculation is mounting that the 4-1-4-1 system will be shelved after the disappointing display with France.

Instead he could adopt the 4-2-3-1 used by Roma with Andrea Pirlo and Daniele De Rossi creating from deep in midfield – the youngster replacing the suspended Gennaro Gattuso.

Alessandro Del Piero is heading for the bench following his poor performance at San Siro, while Cristiano Lucarelli is fighting Vincenzo Iaquinta for the centre-forward role.

Lucarelli is the favourite, as he plies his trade in Ukraine with Shakhtar Donetsk, while Juventus man Iaquinta was only called in as a late replacement for the injured Luca Toni.

However, at Juve and in the past with Udinese and Italy, Iaquinta has also played a wide role in an attacking support unit, so in fact he could be the man to replace club teammate Del Piero and bring more physical strength to the side.

“I understand that Alex wants to play, here and at Juve, but the same applies to me,” confessed Iaquinta.

---
TBH, I don't mind Iaquinta playing on the wide left as he would probably do better than DP. I'd rather have DP not play at all, than him play out of position and be criticized for it.

Sicilian Juve

May 17, 2006
Cesare: Donadoni is too green Tuesday 11 September, 2007

Cesare Maldini has launched a stinging attack on current Italy Coach Roberto Donadoni’s lack of international experience.

“He has a lot of experience on the field, but none at all on the bench – at least in terms of international competition – that would prepare him for this role,” said the man who took the Azzurri to the 1998 World Cup quarter-finals.

“Experience at that level counts for a great deal. I am not blaming him necessarily, but the team he picked against France was too weak physically.”

Many questions were raised when Donadoni was picked to take over from Marcello Lippi in the wake of the 2006 World Cup triumph.

A hero for Milan who won every trophy at club level, in terms of management his highest achievement was in Serie A with Livorno, where he was pressured into handing in his resignation.

After the Euro 2008 qualification was put back into doubt by the 0-0 with France on Saturday, Donadoni’s credentials are up for debate once again.

However, Maldini – the father of Rossoneri captain Paolo – also pointed the finger at the precocious international retirement of Francesco Totti and Alessandro Nesta.

“The 0-0 with France was not disastrous, as a defeat would have thrown everything into chaos. I think we were lacking something in terms of real world class quality in that game, as we felt the absence of heavyweights like Totti and Nesta.”

Gennaro Gattuso will also be suspended for Wednesday’s trip to Kiev, where a victory is essential to keep Ukraine behind them in Group B and maintain contact with the leading duo of France and Scotland.

“It will be a difficult game because their side is physically stronger than ours, despite the fact we have greater technique,” added Maldini.

“From here to the end of the qualifying campaign there are still quite a few matches, but every one is delicate.”
Yea because he did such a great job in '98. Had dp in prime baggio canna his son and lost in the quarters. I am not saying that the Don doesn't need ot go but from this guy? come on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)